• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Write a SJAR input

Hi all hope I can get some sound advice here. I have an input that needs to be written to go in an indivduals SJAR. It is a Volunteer postition, that is of a needed service at unit level at takes up plenty of their down time up.

What format should this letter take and what should and should not be included. In a shrinking Air Force I think any individual that does the extra should be rewarded, regardless of others opinon (and that is not an invite to start a debate on this subject)

Thanks in advance for any information, please PM if you do not wish for your view or information to be public.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
I think the right type of thing used to be called a demi-official letter but I haven't needed to do any service writing (except for minute-writing) for some years now. In this case I would venture to suggest that JSP 101 is your friend. I believe it is available on both intra- and internet.

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago, somebody who worked for me for a short period did so exceptionally well and I just sent a well-written and well-presented e-mail to his 1st RO. Couldn't have done any harm because post assessment he phoned to thank me for putting a word in and shortly after he got promoted.

Mightierthan

Corporal
Any form is acceptable as it is only used as advice for the 1st RO - email, scribbled note, loose minute or even just verbal.

You should include a brief summary of his duties, how well he does them, how much of his time he gives, what attitudes he displays and any other things he has done that stand out, i.e. where he has gone the extra mile.

The 1st RO should then cherry pick bits of your report to fit into the various SJAR boxes - leadership, management etc, so if you can tailor your report like a mini SJAR so much the better.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Can any information be sent with the SJAR as supporting evidence i.e laudatory letters, or is it down to the first RO to detail this in the narrative?

Mightierthan

Corporal
As far as I am aware nothing can be sent with it. On a 'normal' unit the SJAR is fully electronic and even on remote units with no JPA access, once an 'off line' SJAR is completed it is sent to the JPAC where it is scanned/input to JPA and takes the form of an electronic one.

Digzster

Sergeant
Mightierthan is perfectly correct. Any form of information to the 1st RO is acceptable. Personally in the past, I have physically seen the 1st RO (if on unit) or a direct phone call if not followed by an e-mail.
We are too quick to slag people off and not give praise where it is due. The last one I did, his boss was amazed that I took the time to let him know what had been done (maybe a lesson at Cranwell needs to be included in IOT).

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
As listed above - nice few lines on headed paper to their Flt Cdr usually does the trick.

Currently doing it for augmentees who come in to assist during our training periods.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Why have you scribbly lot not mentioned adding it as an insert in toto. My 6000D was scanned in by the head JPA dude a few years ago and appeared in my SJAR just fine. Or is that facility redundant now?

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Why have you scribbly lot not mentioned adding it as an insert in toto. My 6000D was scanned in by the head JPA dude a few years ago and appeared in my SJAR just fine. Or is that facility redundant now?

A 6000D, Insert Slip or Short Stand Alone Report whatever is written, is an officially recognised narrative on performance, and in some cases potential, for part of the reporting period which is added as an attachment to your SJAR. What you can't do is add congratulatory or lauditory letters/e-mails to a SJAR as every Tom, Dick or Harry would be writing them on individuals they deem worthy of promotion and, as everyone would end up getting them, they would be worthless on a promotion board. The first RO should make poignent comment in his narrative on worthwhile input from external sources who, whilst not seeing the subject in his primary role, acknowledges that he or she has done that extra bit during the reporting period to deserve some recognition.