• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wonky Kneecap

Entropy

Sergeant
My knee has been killing me for some time now. My doc said that it was a "maltracking kneecap" and what I needed to do was use a knee support and strenghten the surrounding muscles.

I found some exercises on the net but after a couple of months I'm still seeing no benefit. Can anyone recomend any exercises, a linky would be great, as I think that I need a change.

gray

Sergeant
Get a referral to the Physio (If not been already !)

I found I had to do femoral muscle streching as it was tight, pulling the kneecap to the outside of my leg.

Gray

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Put a treadmill on max incline and set it to a slow walk.

Walk forwards for 100 paces.
Walk backwards for 50 paces.
Then:
Forwards 50
Backwards 50

Forwards 40
Backwards 50

Forwards 30
Backwards 50

Forwards 20
Backwards 50

Forwards 10
Now go backwards for as long as you can.

Physio recommended this for strengthening leg muscles. He reckons Usain Bolt does this and gets to 30 minutes backwards!

Your quads will feel like they're on fire!!

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
My knee has been killing me for some time now. My doc said that it was a "maltracking kneecap" and what I needed to do was use a knee support and strenghten the surrounding muscles.

I found some exercises on the net but after a couple of months I'm still seeing no benefit. Can anyone recomend any exercises, a linky would be great, as I think that I need a change.
I think gray hit the nail on the head, get a professional to suggest the way forward rather than us wallahs... let's face it if your car started coughing and spluttering you wouldn't get the soux chef from your nearest restaurant to attempt to fix it would you? I'm quite surprised that your doc left you to your own devices TBH.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon 'cos there's nowt worse than dodgy knees... well, there is, but you know what I mean!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I think gray hit the nail on the head, get a professional to suggest the way forward rather than us wallahs... let's face it if your car started coughing and spluttering you wouldn't get the soux chef from your nearest restaurant to attempt to fix it would you? I'm quite surprised that your doc left you to your own devices TBH.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon 'cos there's nowt worse than dodgy knees... well, there is, but you know what I mean!

See a physio and I hope you've caught it early enough, I didn't and now suffer a lot of knee pain.

You'll probably be referred to the RI, unless there are other problems.

Expect a lot of stretching and strange exercises, including large elastic bands and painful foam rolls to follow to mitigate the effects of the pull.

Professional advice is VITAL. You can do an awful lot of damage without actually realising it.

That said, after I had my big fall followed by even bigger knee repair operation last year, the Consultant sent me here :

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php

The forum relating to my specific injuries (detached quads tendon and ruptured joint capsule) are even now proving invaluable, if only for the support element of reading other peoples experiences.

Hope it gets better soon

Jimps

Robby

Corporal
Regional Rehab

Regional Rehab

I had the same problem and despite ignoring it for 9 months it caught up with me, after 6 months physio I was sent to RAF Honington Rehab Unit - what a place! AWESOME they diagnosed me and treated me in three weeks and not withstanding odd days of pain I am cured - i can now play squash again and climb and descend stairs with no pain (you may laugh but 2 years ago this was almost a tearful adventure everytime!) :pDT_Xtremez_34:

See a doctor and push and push for a referal to a Regional Rehab Unit quickly- yes you will walk backwards on treadmill, play with large elastic bands and dont even talk about the foam roller (it makes grown men wimper!) but you come out feeling 21 again I dont know how much it cost to send me on the course but it was worth every penny to me:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Dont wait - the big lesson I learnt was DON'T WAIT - heroes can't fix this problem!

C

CC

Get a referral to the Physio (If not been already !)

I found I had to do femoral muscle streching as it was tight, pulling the kneecap to the outside of my leg.

Gray

Gray, top advice. I actually had overdeveloped muscles on the outside of my thigh, which effected my knees.

Quick visit to the physio, a whole load of new leg exercises and hey presto, my knees have never been better.

Entropy

Sergeant
Thanks for the advice guys. As it was the quack that said use a brace and exercise so I thought that was the best action. I think I'll bit the bullet and see a physio.