• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will DII Get Delivered?

F

FuNkYQueenBrit

Marham doesn't have DII yet, but we have spent a lot of time reorganizing our online filing systems and now eagerly await DII. :pDT_Xtremez_06:

I kinda know what its about as we have had a few meetings about it but I seem to switch off half way through.

Could that money go towards something that is REALLY needed?. Is DII an necessity???

its more likely a small part of the project will be offered up to be cancelled. As DII is an 'enabler' it is classed as a important project.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
we need it

we need it

Sorry but I was always a sceptic, but the thing sort of seems to work on a day to day side, I had an issue the other week and the whole fault tracking thing went quite smoothly and I got it fixed.
The old days of having an IT geek who knows the local system are gone and not supportable. We rely on the systems too much.
We have left it too long, we never did the whole TG4 thing the right way and now I hate to say it but we will be better off with DII doing it centrally, with a plan!
IMO

Dragoon

Sergeant
I sat and worked out some sums last week regarding DII, I always knew that ATLAS had the RAF over a colossal barrel, but this just puts a small part of it into perspective.

To run one DII account, it costs £35 a month.

On my station, there are approx 3000 users, so that's £105,000 a month.

To run those accounts for a year, that's £1,260,000.

£1.26m a year, just so we can access our computers, and that's just one station!

Then you can factor in all the costs to move printers, scanners, PC's, patch them in, provide them, install new taps, the list and bill goes on and on. :raf:

kev827

LAC
wonder what would happen if this became more wider known? would the general public be happy that we are paying 1.6 mil to use PC's? What else could be buy that would be of use to the guys and girls....i'm sure marham would benifit from a better gym and or pool...

T

The Masked Geek

I sat and worked out some sums last week regarding DII, I always knew that ATLAS had the RAF over a colossal barrel, but this just puts a small part of it into perspective.

On my station, there are approx 3000 users, so that's £105,000 a month.

And then you have the cost of a PC: £5000 for 3 years. And it's not a good PC, it's a P4 with 1GB of RAM. The sort of tripe you could buy on EBay for £75.

3000 * 5000 = £15,000,000

0r £5,000,000 per year taking your total to £6,260,000 before you even see a server.

Dragoon

Sergeant
And then you have the cost of a PC

Don't get me started on the PC's, the fact that there's at least 3 different types floating around, all with different setups, means one fix for a simple issue on one PC, is impossible on another because stuff is missing or different! :pDT_Xtremez_32:

the deployed training facility is being expanded but i think your right the S will get binned.

The sites dont pay for servers so the cost per PC covers the cost of maintaining the network as a whole.

There are a number of different desktop solutions the latest I have seen are with 19" widescreen monitors, and as we have seen users complain about the build anyway would you be happy with the same build as 4 years ago ?

Equipment is slowly being changed from Dell to HP since HP are now a major partner of Atlas.

Jayan

LAC
The worst part is that the idea of a centralised IT systems allowing movement between sites isn't a bad one. It has just been badly planned, implemented and costed.

DII have quoted us for a building to be re-cabled (existing CAT5e wasnt up to 'DII Standards') was an insane amount of cash. When we quoted it through a 3rd party they knocked a '0' off the price. The DII powers that be said they would allow use of this company to do the job only if they were sub-contracted and the original quote from DII still stood!!

I think whoever signed off this contract now has a nice cushy job in their higher echelons.

T

The Masked Geek

I think whoever signed off this contract now has a nice cushy job in their higher echelons.

Indeed. Our problem is that the blue suit in charge want's their Wg Cdr so we're driving ahead with the prep; rather than holding off and waiting for the DII cash pot to run out.

ASH forest isn't brilliant but it's a damn sight better (and cheaper) than DII.

WAR PIG

LAC
Bin it Now

Bin it Now

The simple fact is this.

It's already out of date and it's not even in yet!

It should have been written into the contract that we get a
large discount if they cant deliver it before a certain date

ScoobTech

Sergeant
We have Both iterations of Dii in our place at the moment, It cost us over 7k to have 2 new fibre taps put in, and it took 8 months. The guys at my last post would of done it in less than a week and all it would of cost is the couple of hundred for the fibre. Don't get me started on how much it costs to move anything, when I can do it myself. It's not as if repatching a patch panel is difficult. The only good thing about it is I can log onto any other Dii terminal within the UK, and access all my stuff.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
. The only good thing about it is I can log onto any other Dii terminal within the UK, and access all my stuff.

Pre DII you could have done that by burning off a CD and taking it with you.

I'm on DII and I have to be honest, it's crap. The system is slow, word and excel randomly freeze and then dump your work. Add on the file/folder naming convention so you cant find anything!

I can't see how this is value for money.

T

The Masked Geek

Pre DII you could have done that by burning off a CD and taking it with you.

You didn't even need to do that. I have guys at one BAE establishment accessing the file system at a secret Lincs base quite happily.