• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

whitewater sports

L

Luc1fer

alreet,

am in the process of enlisting as an armourer/weapons tech, and would love to carry on some of my more water fuelled activities when i get in :pDT_Xtremez_30: as have spent more than a few years pursuing these sports and got back in oct from a 6mth stint in austria doing raftguiding in the alps.

was just wondering if many people have been out and tried whitewater kayaking or rafting with the RAF? jus asking because i cant find anything on the forums or website.

thanks

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Lucy - welcome - yes - Kayaking - in Germany. I would imagine that there would be a few canoists up in ISK with the Spay so close - perhaps Valley as well with the Welsh mountains. I'm sure someone will be able to let you know a damn sight more up to date information than I could! :)

woodgreen

LAC
There is a very active RAF Canoe Association

Their website seems to be a little broken due to a re-org, however

http://www.rafactive.co.uk/e25/e25canoe.html

..will get you in the rough area.

Most Stations have a Canoe club, and expeds (whitewater or not) are organised to all sorts of bizarre countries for all levels of paddle ability.

Competitions are held throughout the year for most disciplines within paddlesports, and if you are competent, then you could have the opportunity to compete at Inter-Service level.

There are also plenty of Joint Service courses for canoeing and kayaking that mean you can get the civvie equivalent quals.

Good luck

G

grumpyoldb

I haven't done any for a long time but back in 1976 when I arrived at Laarbruch, I was pursuaded to join the canoe club. It was one of the best things iI did in Germany.(One of..............:pDT_Xtremez_42:)

After a couple of sessions in the swimming pool, about a dozen of us spent the hot summer of '76 out on the water, from the Mosel valley, the Rhine, and a lot of the great lakes.

Got most Friday's off work, booked out a Bedford RL from MT. Loaded the canoes in the back together with bags of old sports kit that that PTI's gave us for dry clothing. Two eight man tents, one for the guy's and one for the girls, (that didn't last long.....) rations from the airmens mess, and stop at the naafi on the way out for a dozen crates of whatever was on offer.

On the water all day, campfire party at night.
Brilliant.

L

Luc1fer

it'll be great that ill be able to do some civvie qualifications whilst in the force. i was looking into rescue3 swif****er technician, but it costs an arm and a leg to do the full week!

and thanks for the link and extra info. :pDT_Xtremez_28: its always good to know theres some paddlers around

sparks will fly

Corporal
Yes I have done some white water rafting up here at ISK you can go from Aviemore to forres along the spey. Oh and I am never doing it again nearly drowned and had to get rescued the second time