• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to wear...

E273

LAC
Hello,
Could anyone advise me on what to wear to my first visit to my local AFCO.
Obviously I want to make a good impression, but I don’t want to look like a numpty.
As a young female who doesn’t do fashion, what sort of thing should I be wearing?
Thanks

clarklyttle

LAC
Subscriber
Hello E273,

I would suggest that you wear something that you are comfortable in but also looks smart. Good luck with your application process.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I'd highly recommend investing in a very plain comfortable trouser/skirt suit. Not just for this visit to the AFCO, but for any future occasions where first impressions count.

Whilst I dont feel its a necessity to wear a full suit for your first visit, I would say once it gets to interview stages it is very important to create the right impression.

For your first visit avoid jeans, sportwear or any clothing that is revealing, so I suggest going with a pair of trousers and either a blouse and cardi, or a jumper, well something along those lines.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Give your footwear the 'once over' with some proper shoe polish. They don't have to be parade ground dazzlers, simply clean. Good luck. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I would say avoid excessive jewellery/makeup and don't bathe in perfume...Just use you loaf and turn up looking like someone we could take and train/entrust with kits and duties in the future. We don't need to see you dressed to the nines but just clean, tidy and decently attired. If you are short on cash look in some of the charity shops these days...the wear and throw society makes these places quite good places to find decent gear.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
TBH I agree with sniffer, get a suit (but don't go over the top). Essentially it's a job interview, so a suit is appropriate -smart, basic, plain colours (black and white / pastels works well). Avoid anything you'd wear out for drinks with your friends, sequins, glitter, or tops with pictures of cats etc on them.

Also, if you have long hair tie it back or get it put 'up' for you (if you get in, you'll be wearing your hair in a bun for hte rest of your career, and this is good for subliminal messaging - helps you to look the part) plus it stops you from messing with it while you're being interviewed.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Don't get too worried about what you wear on any trip to the AFCO, as long as it is neat and tidy most recruiters will not notice.

It is more important that you feel mentally comfortable so that your performance in the interview shines and nerves don't get the better of you.

You aren't the first go through this process and unless it's your recruiters first week he'll understand how you feel and will try his best to get you through the process.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

E273

LAC
Thank you very much to everyone and their speedy responses -Looks like I have bit of shopping to do !

Also, should I be going to my AFCO once I am fully fit, or should I go now (smashing 1.5mi, 5 press ups off, just hitting sit ups)

E273

LAC
I'd highly recommend investing in a very plain comfortable trouser/skirt suit. Not just for this visit to the AFCO, but for any future occasions where first impressions count.

Whilst I dont feel its a necessity to wear a full suit for your first visit, I would say once it gets to interview stages it is very important to create the right impression.

For your first visit avoid jeans, sportwear or any clothing that is revealing, so I suggest going with a pair of trousers and either a blouse and cardi, or a jumper, well something along those lines.

Thank you for your response and sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm not good with clothing :p

I completely agree that jeans/leggings are not appropriate but was wondering about things like Chinos which are the same cut/ material as jeans, but are obviously a different colour.

In addition to that, most 'fashionable' smartish trousers are fairly tight (not like the ones that look as if they have been sprayed on, the looser ones) - would these be considered acceptable to wear?

Thanks again :)

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Rather than risk it looking like a fashion reject from Ricky Sicky and the Vomits- pop along to Matalan (other cheap clothes shops are available) and buy a pair of cheap dark grey/black office trousers and a plain white shirt, with some black shoes - you won't go wrong.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Thank you for your response and sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm not good with clothing :p

I completely agree that jeans/leggings are not appropriate but was wondering about things like Chinos which are the same cut/ material as jeans, but are obviously a different colour.

In addition to that, most 'fashionable' smartish trousers are fairly tight (not like the ones that look as if they have been sprayed on, the looser ones) - would these be considered acceptable to wear?

Thanks again :)
Ive pm'd you hun x

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk