• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to do when taken sick away from your station

skevans

Flight Sergeant
I'm after a little advice guys as I am in no position to research this myself at the moment.

I have always been under the impression that if you are away from your base on leave or living in the civilian community there is a certain process that you have to follow if you are taken ill. More specifically, I seem to remember that if you live within three (?) miles of a service establishment with a medical facility you should report there, even if it is not your normal establishment. If however you live further away than that you should report to A&E at your nearest NHS hospital.

I'm not going to harp on about whats wrong with me, because I don't want to be deafened by the massed ranks of the worlds smallest violins! However it is serious enough to affect my breathing and movement and I am in constant pain.

Unfortunately I live just under 45 miles from my station, the only nearer service medical facility is 15 miles away.
I have been turned away from A&E twice in such a way that I had to ensure that the door didn't hit my arse on the way out. The Sister insisted that I should 'be dealt with by my GP' although of course I don't have one! Naturally I am going to complain, but at the moment or more concerned with getting some treatment.

In some ways I guess I'm fortunate that my boss lives a mile from me and has been round to see me therefore knowing I'm not suffering from a twisted sock or cracked eyelash. In fairness he has been very supportive, but I'm in a catch 22 whereby I can't travel to a service establishment, and I can't seem to use the NHS.

I am looking for any information that points out that the NHS have to treat me. IS there actually an MOU? or is this just something that the service tells you to do but with no government policy behind it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
I do that whenever I need to see a doc cos of where I live.

G

gemarriott

I do that whenever I need to see a doc cos of where I live. and fancy a week or 2 off with my glass back

I finished your post, you obviously hi submit too soon. No you really don't need to thank me.

ERT

Corporal
Keep in touch with the medical centre, remember to take a name. They should put you right. Any questions from work, refer them to that person in the medical centre.

I was once admitted to hospital with a blood clot over 250 miles from my home unit, I was released many days later. Now resembling a junkie. I had to drive down to the home unit for a visit to the medical centre. I was given 2 weeks sick leave to let my arms recover.

In No 2B dress, I looked like a smack head from the amount of drips they put into my arms. Purple/Black bruises on the inner elbows did not look to good.

Initial medical centre attitude was "Ring us when your out", though dealt with notifying work etc.

Last edited:

topstop

Corporal
Ensure your sick note states unfit to travel.

I had pneumonia couldnt walk 25 yds without a stop for a breather and my chest was gurgling like a drain. Got antibiotics and had to go back to my base for further treatment, was unfit to work but fit to travel.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
... However it is serious enough to affect my breathing and movement and I am in constant pain...
I'll bet that's the last time you get talked into wearing a ball gag, double-tight arab strap and 8 inch butt plug all at the same time! :pDT_Xtremez_24:

Mag2grid

Corporal
Seems to be dependant on your SMO interpretation!

Whilst going through the College of Knowledge I had to have my ACL repaired, I was operated on in Nottingham, sent home to recover in London for 2 weeks. 2 days into my sick leave I got an infection from the surgery, called up themed centre at Cranditz and was told I needed to see the Dr on base....130 miles away. I tried to explain to F@@knut on the phone I was in London having just has major knee surgery and was banned from driving for 2 weeks, could barely walk and was on pain killers that knocked me out, could I get a taxi to Uxbridge, Northolt or even see my old GP...F@@knut decided to use all of his 2 years of SAC rank to remind me of my place in the food chain and "ordered" me to get to the med centre for an appointment the next day. Queue sense of humour failure of Off Cdt M2G and telling him where to stick his appointment and hanging up.

10 minutes later phone rings and the SMO gives me a rollicking down the phone and orders me to get to Cranwell the next day and he wold send a car to get me and take me home.

Got 5 days restrictions and Flt Cdrs review for that little incident when I returned from sick leave.

Last edited:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Seems to be dependant on your SMO interpretation!

Whilst going through the College of Knowledge I had to have my ACL repaired, I was operated on in Nottingham, sent home to recover in London for 2 weeks. 2 days into my sick leave I got an infection from the surgery, called up themed centre at Cranditz and was told I needed to see the Dr on base....130 miles away. I tried to explain to F@@knut on the phone I was in London having just has major knee surgery and was banned from driving for 2 weeks, could barely walk and was on pain killers that knocked me out, could I get a taxi to Uxbridge, Northolt or even see my old GP...F@@knut decided to use all of his 2 years of SAC rank to remind me of my place in the food chain and "ordered" me to get to the med centre for an appointment the next day. Queue sense of humour failure of Off Cdt M2G and telling him where to stick his appointment and hanging up.

10 minutes later phone rings and the SMO gives me a rollicking down the phone and orders me to get to Cranwell the next day and he wold send a car to get me and take me home.

Got 5 days restrictions and Flt Cdrs review for that little incident when I returned from sick leave.

It might have been worth just turning up at Uxbridge or Northolt, preferably with note from surgeon, and getting them to call Cranwell. It's usually easier to do it, whatever 'it' is, and be forgiven than to obtain permission. When I wur a lad you might be praised for your powers of initiative in doing such a thing. Power-mad SAC could hardly have started slagging off Uxbridge/Northolt MO/NO without dire consequences to his/her own career. No doubt you got told at Cranwell, "If you were Officer material you would have jogged here, knee or no knee". Something very similar happened to my brother at Dartmouth many moons ago but he failed to learn and was booted out (which in those days was done by writing a very terse letter to the Cadet's NOK demanding withdrawal - he didn't even make snotty). You are deliberately put in a double bind at such places to see how you handle it. But you don't need me to tell you that...

It used to be the case that if sick on leave, for instance, you simply registered as a temporary resident with a local GP, no matter how near any Service facility you were, who treated you and issued a certificate of unfitness to work (if you were unfit) which you handed in at your Section (JNCOs & junior airmen) or SHQ (the rest) when you returned and it was accepted without question. Officers and WOs were also expected to call or telegram the Boss and explain; airmen ditto the SNCO i/c discip. This had the effect of turning annual leave into sick leave, entitling the individual to lodging allowance and further annual leave. And no, Gem, we didn't all have glass backs. It was appreciated as a generous system and I only ever came across one instance of somebody abusing it.

Last edited:

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Only fair to let you guys know what happened I guess.

On my way to the nearest GP, I collapsed.

When I came too I had received treatment for a partial collapse of my left lung.

Since then I have also had a hemorrhage near, but thankfully not on my brain.

My recovery by the NHS has been superb and I expect to join my boys OOA in April.

Out of context I know but can we please have English spellings!!!????

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Good to hear you on the mend :)

If the spellings you are referring to are suggested corrections when typing on E-Goat then spell check is done at your computer and is not a forum function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.