• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the weather ...

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
What is the weather like where you are?

I live in Conisbrough midway between Doncaster & Rotherham and got out to my car with about one inch of snow on the ground and on the car.

The journey to work wasn't too bad although the traction control did kick in a couple of times going uphill and along the country lanes, got to work just south of Sheffield to be greeted with about three inches of snow in my parking spot.

I've already had one person phone in from a couple of miles away saying he can't make it in even though he has a 3-year-old 4x4 (n), and someone else that drives past his house and says the roads are fine.

Guess who is in for a one-sided conversation next time he is in?

The weather forecast for here (Woodhouse Mill) is overcast with more snow expected.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
My view has softened, and does so the longer I’ve been a civi, seen shock on others faces when I’ve struggled in and general apathy when I’ve given up when I think it’s not safe to travel.

However, this does feel a little feeble on your colleagues part.

I’ve got a bit of train and plane travel over the next 24 hours, for work, and I’m hoping the system is coping over here, I know it will work once I get into Europe, they get more of this weather and have the systems in place to cope.

Some roads in Lincoln were impassable this morning, according to AA Traffic News, lots or reports of trucks stuck, car crashes etc. But they are clearing now and have moved to mostly passable.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Snow and fog in the midlands around TB Towers. As we, in the UK, have had such conditions many times in the past I'm sure the council has a well designed and workable plan ready to implement. After all it's nothing new. On the downside golf cancelled today:(

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Cold, grey and rainy here on the E Anglian coast.... Better than yesterday's freezing wet fog ..

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I guess there was no snow in London otherwise the BBC would be going into overdrive about the severe weather caused by a single snow flake on the M25.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Just wait till we have a few centimeters in Kent, we'll not hear the end of it culminating in the Country going into lockdown.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
-We had nothing but rain yesterday and it looks like the same again today.

Floods next?

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
-We had nothing but rain yesterday and it looks like the same again today.

Floods next?
Roads were flooding as I drove home yesterday from my canal society's depot in the Vale of Belvoir. The fields are sodden with a lot, and I mean a lot, of surface water running off onto the roads, the roadside ditches are full and the canal itself was almost bursting its banks in places. At the locks, the water was about 2 to 3 inches deep where it was pouring over the gates.

This was one lock where the water was coming over the top of the gates. The channel at the side of the lock - the by-wash (or by-pass) - is normally a trickle and the water in front of the camera is at least 2 to 3 feet higher than normal.

l18.png

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Luckily I was passing through Ambleside 24hrs before the snow hit...now back in Cornwall where it did actually snow for an hour before melting. Its now reverted to p1ssing down as usual. I have swapped to my foul weather flips-flops and fleece lined shorts in response.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I remember struggling into West Raynham from Kings Lynn one winter. Phone rings and its the Sqn WO calling to say he wouldnt be in because of the snow. Or at least he did once he'd got over his embarrassment of me answering the phone as he also lived in Kings Lynn.