• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what happens in AFCO appointment?

• Thread starter xx_determinedtosucceed_xx
  • Start date
X

xx_determinedtosucceed_xx

got mine today and was just wondering what kind of things they ask you ?

Minor

SAC
If its your first appointment they'll basically ask you why you want to join the RAF and what trade/s your interested in. If they think you've got what it takes they'll more than likely ask you to complete the application form.

uber pikey

Sergeant
They will probably ask about employment history, dealings with drugs, education, parent background all sorts. If it helps then be honest and try to answer the best you can.

T

TKS

I have mines in September, person on the phone said I don't have to bring anything with me (do I, surely some form of ID/Proof of nationality?) but I should dress up smart.

Easy enough. Will it be one of those things, where I will have to "sell myself" to them, you know, like a Job Interview, or will it be more like how recruiters can be, where they're the ones trying to get me into the Force...?

G

gemarriott

Smart is always a good idea as is carrying some form of ID. After all if you succeed in getting in you will be expected to be smart and carry your ID at all times.

Minor

SAC
Defo dress smart. I sat my AST 2 weeks ago. Out of 11 of us that attended I was the only one in shirt, tie and jacket. One kid wore adidas bottoms and a liverpool shirt!!!

First impression always counts.

I would take some form of ID anyway just incase you start the ball rolling with the application.

The initial meeting is more of a meet and greet and find out a bit about you and why you want to join the RAF.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Defo dress smart. I sat my AST 2 weeks ago. Out of 11 of us that attended I was the only one in shirt, tie and jacket. One kid wore adidas bottoms and a liverpool shirt!!!

First impression always counts.

I would take some form of ID anyway just in case you start the ball rolling with the application.

The initial meeting is more of a meet and greet and find out a bit about you and why you want to join the RAF.

Hear, Here.
Shirt & Tie, clean shoes and tidy hair will go a long way.

M

Miss_Tina

or will it be more like how recruiters can be, where they're the ones trying to get me into the Force...?

They definately don't try and get you in. They are helpful and answer your questions and give you all the information they can.

But If you don't want to do it they aren't going to try and pursuade you, and why should they? There are so many people who want to join and it costs money to train recruits, it's the determined who get in.

On my very first visit to the AFCO I was given a load of literature about the RAF and the trade I want to go in for. I was asked questions that were to ensure I was elligible to apply. At that time i was just enquiring/exploring my options, and knew I had to get fitter anyway.

I went back in last month to fill in the application form, he double checked my eligibility, had me fill some forms in and gave me some to take away and fill in and now it's 2 weeks until my aptitude test.

Personal presentation is very important in the Forces, it goes without saying that you should turn up smartly dressed, clean and tidy and in good time if you have an appointment!! If you are delayed, give them a call and let them know. Somethings can't be helped. And like my grandma always says "good manners cost nothing".

As for "selling" yourself I think that is more relevant for the interviews, just be honest. Everyone has strengths (and weaknesses) you'll have time to prepare for the interviews and it will help to think about or even write down what they could ask you and how you would answer.

At the risk of sounding like a complete nerd look at the Core Values below, if you can demonstrate that you are the kind of person who administrates their life with these values in mind then you will clearly be a worthy candidate.

Respect: Mutual and Self Respect

Integrity: Integrity Always

Service: Service Before Self

Excellence: Striving for Excellence

Hope it helps!​

:pDT_Xtremez_28:​