• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happens if you're injured whilst on Basic Training?

L

littlered

Hi all,

First post on here so I hope this makes sense and any advice will be great.

I'm awaiting for my branch to open for recuritment (my name is on the list). In the meantime I've been focusing on my running as I'm terrible at running. Finally managed to hit the 1.5miles in 14mins 4 weeks ago then kept pushing to get a better time to improve my chances, then ankle injury.

I've had a bit of a problem with my left ankle and flat feet in the last few years which means I sometimes need to rest it for a day or so but I've signed up for a physio course at the local hospital to strengthen it.

My question is; if by some miracle (competition is very this year) I actually make it to Basic Training at Cranwell and my ankle acts up, do I say anything? Will I get re-coursed if I do? I've been told by some that I should pipe up if I'm in pain, the PTs there will help you. Some say don't, you'll be re-coursed and appear weak.

Also, are you allowed to wear insoles?

I know I sound like I shouldn't even apply, but the RAF has my dream job which unfortunately only came to my attention this year when I've turned 28. I know I have a lot against me, but I'm still going to try, any advice? (Fitness wise, injury, older applicant etc)
Thank you!!!

Brackens

SAC
Tell them if you're injured, it will only get worse and cause more damage meaning you'll be off longer, but don't worry about that at the moment your not even there yet!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Officer

Officer

If you are applying for Officer then you'll have some forms to fill in once you start your application. You need to declare your medical conditions on these forms or when you get to OASC and doctor will decide if you are ready to under go the most physical course you've ever gone through.

If you don't declare your condition and it flares up in the RAF then you'll probably be leaving the RAF pretty quickly.

L

littlered

I have been getting a bit head of myself but it's just the worrying.

My physio therapist said that it's not a 'declarable' injury. I will seek further advice about what to put on the forms.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Drill Bit

Sergeant
I have been getting a bit head of myself but it's just the worrying.

My physio therapist said that it's not a 'declarable' injury. I will seek further advice about what to put on the forms.

Thanks for the advice guys.

If you're a fine specimen you'll be put out to stud; otherwise you'll be shot.

C

ClioCraig

If you're going in as an Airman and become injured whilst at Halton, you get reflighted. Basically you get put on a flight with all the other sick, lame and lazy until you are back to full fitness. Then you join a new flight who are at the same point in training as you were when you became injured.

L

littlered

Cheers.
I'm hoping to join as an Officer (I think I'm too old join as Aircrew). Are they more cut-throat with wannabe Officers?

BTW, Have a great xmas everyone!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You probably need to keep up the regime anyway to get a little faster than that, and with that will come the strength to some extent.

Its been a few years, but injuries requiring recourse are quite common in the first 6 weeks, and are quite hard to recover from given that there is no easy option. The testing never gets any easier to accommodate chronic injuries - you have to perform and I can tell you this: Its a tough job to do the course mentally if the rest isn't 100%. Your personal fitness must be second nature to fully display what you have upstairs.

Advice; Good all-round training regime and get faster. Running and swimming will work well.