• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to Ascension Island

T

The-Dark-One

Hey, one of the best postings of my thus far 21 year career has to have been Ascension Island.

I can't believe there are no other posts about it here, so from today all you old ASI veterans will now have a place to drag your bleached and booze sodden sandbags.

I was based in Ascension Island from Feb 89 to Jan 90, yup I loved it so much I stayed on for a second tour. Not many of us did that and survived without a follow on tour drying out at Wroughton.

Did anyone else out there have the pleasure of many a legless night spent in a Giant Turtle crater (nest) wrapped in a counterpain to protect you against the night?

Or having to drive down to the Volcano Club whilst on duty tech to give the lads a lift home, totally wrecked (the lads not me) and swarming over the wagon, whilst on the move! I remember one night the guys were particularly drunk and one of them (you know who u are!) climbed out the back of my lightweight rover (whilst at 40mph), over the top of the soft top and leant down in front of the windscreen to look at me, and yes my face was a picture of horror! (a bit like my avatar lol) I couldn't believe it! Crazy son bitch!

I wouldn't mind but I had already crashed 2 landrovers ffs! Which cost me a pretty sum when I was fizzed!

Lets hear your stories :pDT_Xtremez_26:

stereolab

Station Cashier
Ascension Tours

Ascension Tours

Yes indeed, quite a place, I was there as Station Cashier, also in 89-90, came home with a beautiful suntan and was the thinnest I ever was in my career, never felt hungry in the heat. Tour spoilt by an ex SAC shiney who had somehow been appointed as OC Admin and had taken it upon himself to make my life a misery, he somehow felt that a SNCO Accounts Sergeant on his fifth tour in the rank needed his close supervision, coupled with a weak Flt Lt OC PSF , made the tour quite miserable at times. Nothing I did would impress him, so I stopped trying, a career defining tour, my career ended, but I left with my head high.

A rarity , possibly the only non drinker on the island, and still 16 years later tee total

Great memories of the excellent empty beaches, with turtles in the sea, I now pay a small fortune to see similar sights in Thailand.

G

gemarriott

The-Dark-One said:
Hey, one of the best postings of my thus far 21 year career has to have been Ascension Island.

I wouldn't mind but I had already crashed 2 landrovers ffs! Which cost me a pretty sum when I was fizzed!

Lets hear your stories :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Not AI but just wondering what the going rate s for smashing a rover these days?

I got £80 and 14 days jankers for mine, in 1977

charges read, conduct prejudicial, stealing petrol, damaging a German tree, taking a vehicle wthout permission, driving without a license and driving without insurance. Oddly enough I wasn't charged with writing off the rover when I rolled it into the trees behind the SSA at Laarbruch.

mac

LAC
I was out there in '82,busy work,food and beer great,the USAF pr films notso !!!

Do you know the spams get a medal if they have been good in their Military prisons?

See,it wasn't all wasted !!!:pDT_Xtremez_31:

T

The-Dark-One

gemarriott said:
Not AI but just wondering what the going rate s for smashing a rover these days?

I got £80 and 14 days jankers for mine, in 1977

charges read, conduct prejudicial, stealing petrol, damaging a German tree, taking a vehicle wthout permission, driving without a license and driving without insurance. Oddly enough I wasn't charged with writing off the rover when I rolled it into the trees behind the SSA at Laarbruch.

I got a £230 fine, which was quite a lot in 89 as I was only a J/T earning £600 a month at the time.

Nowadays they don't charge you for crashing MT wagons.

T

The-Dark-One

stereolab said:
Yes indeed, quite a place, I was there as Station Cashier, also in 89-90, came home with a beautiful suntan and was the thinnest I ever was in my career, never felt hungry in the heat. Tour spoilt by an ex SAC shiney who had somehow been appointed as OC Admin and had taken it upon himself to make my life a misery, he somehow felt that a SNCO Accounts Sergeant on his fifth tour in the rank needed his close supervision, coupled with a weak Flt Lt OC PSF , made the tour quite miserable at times. Nothing I did would impress him, so I stopped trying, a career defining tour, my career ended, but I left with my head high.

A rarity , possibly the only non drinker on the island, and still 16 years later tee total

Great memories of the excellent empty beaches, with turtles in the sea, I now pay a small fortune to see similar sights in Thailand.

Hmm, I remember OC Admin was a bit of a nob! Perhaps he picked on you because you didn't drink, that was fairly unusual for ASI! LOL I must admit, at the time I was very young, if I went out there now I probably wouldn't drink much.:pDT_Xtremez_26: