• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weekly commute with a pet?

Squibby12

LAC
I've found myself in a bit of a hard spot. Typically when deployed I pass my cat onto my parents to look after for a few months until I return home. I've been volunteered to work at another base for a few months which will be far too far for me to commute everyday and so will have to take up SLA - not that much of a drama.

The issue is that I'd rather take my pet with me if I'm still in the UK, then return home on the weekends with him. Having looked into JSP 464 it does not explicitly deny the right to have a pet in SLA and was hoping for some similar experiences you may call upon to help me decide what is best because at the moment, I am torn.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Even though it's not explicitly mentioned in the JSP, you'll find or should find it in SSO's for your new location. I've known pets to be kept in the block before now, but they were animals that could be left alone for hours at a time. As always, big boys rules applied in that if you could look after them without it all becoming an inconvenience for the other residents then all is good.

However, I don't fancy your chances on getting a positive answer back when you ask about getting a cat flap installed on your room door......:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've known pets to be kept in the block before now, but they were animals that could be left alone for hours at a time.

I agree with Spearmint the only "in block" pets I have known are aquarium fish, small rodents hamsters, gerbils etc, big tropical spiders and smaller reptiles or snakes. Stuff that lives in its own container/cage/tank and is not free to move around the room.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Unless you are living in one of the messes I'd say you have no chance.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've found myself in a bit of a hard spot. Typically when deployed I pass my cat onto my parents to look after for a few months until I return home. I've been volunteered to work at another base for a few months which will be far too far for me to commute everyday and so will have to take up SLA - not that much of a drama.

The issue is that I'd rather take my pet with me if I'm still in the UK, then return home on the weekends with him. Having looked into JSP 464 it does not explicitly deny the right to have a pet in SLA and was hoping for some similar experiences you may call upon to help me decide what is best because at the moment, I am torn.

You need to contact the unit in question. Several units I've been to had four legged pets in the block. The rule at Boscombe was that you had to stump up for a pet clean when you handed your room back.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
You need to approach the SWO I'd say. Some units I've known have allowed dogs in the block, others haven't. Never heard about a cat though.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
You'll need to approach the building custodian for whichever mess SLA you're going to be in, fill in the paperwork and request permission from the Staish via the SWO - though I'd say permission is unlikely for a cat.

Squibby12

LAC
Thanks for your replies. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking, dogs have been known but cats not so much. Think ill save us both and just give him to the rents for the duration.