• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

We can't turn them away

N

Nutty Bird

i think there are some cracking points being raised!

Do a one for one swap.........a real refugee for a money grabbing cnut, then place that person as an int source for the military! They'll be earning their wage and helping to protect us and themselves!!!!!!

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
What do fellow goaters think. Iraqi interpreters who have risked their lives to help UK forces, should they and their families be granted asylum in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6935517.stm

The simple answer is yes. To abandon people who have served this country in one way or another and then simply turn our backs on them and say "your on your own fella" would make us no better than some residents in Ashstead.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Personally I would allow them special treatment.

I agree that they chose the jobs they have performed, however they didn't choose them in a situation where we were pulling out and the counry was fighting bitterly amongst itself. They believed that they would assist the people bringing peace, stability and growth to their nation.

I'm afraid I feel obliged to take these guys, especially when we look at it in a comparrison with todays other news.

The UK is to accept the release of five Guantanamo inmates because they lived here prior to being arrested elsewhere.

FFS one of them has been living in England for 20 years and is still an 'asylum seeker', on top of which he was caught training with 'suspect groups' in Pakistan. Is it really fair and right to allow this man back to the UK, flown I might add by the RAF, but not allow an interpreter who has risked his life for our colleaugues to settle here.

It's not as if we don't take enough immigants anyway, lets take the ones that we want, and more importantly want us in future shall we?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Why not devise a level playing field for all refugee applications instead of impulsively welcoming one group and turning away another?

Austrailia have a robust and working system based around 'Do we need you? Do we want you? Are you qualified to come here?'... Anyone who answers 'nay' to any of these questions potentially becomes a burden to their system...

Some may say it's harsh but it seems to work and lets face facts, we are only a wee island with only so much space...

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
The simple answer is yes. To abandon people who have served this country in one way or another and then simply turn our backs on them and say "your on your own fella" would make us no better than some residents in Ashstead.

I think that says it all Plumber, you hit the nail quite squarely ! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

D

DrunkenMonki

I think theres a few patches of free land in the Falklands we could house them on! I think we do have a responsibility for these people, we just need to be more strict about who we accept, i'm sure not all of them are at the same level of risk. Even just relocate them within Iraq with new names etc?

B

Bluntend

I'm amazed at how some people can have such double standards. Not long ago we were debating how Gurkhas should be granted British citizenship. Many felt that their contribution to Britain and British security over the last 5 decades or so should be recognised formaly with an open invitation to become a citizen of a country they have risked their lives to help. Now, we actively seek help from locals in Iraq and Afghanistan, they make a solid contribution to our efforts in their country - often at great personal risk - but then when that risk becomes so great that they turn to us for help, we feel we have a right to turn our backs. For God's sake don't we have an obligation not to turn our backs?

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Just for the fact that they have helped us out I say let them come, they as in the case of translators can at least get a job and speak the language. Imagine them working at an immigration centre, telling their former country men that no you are not entitled to anything.

They did not help us out through the goodness of our hearts - they were paid. So why don't we let the cooks, drivers, cleaners in as well, sod it everyone who has ever been paid by the British Government for diong a job which they accepted. What's so special about the interpreters?

The Pprune post says that we have ample room for immigrants. I don't think so!!

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
They did not help us out through the goodness of our hearts - they were paid. So why don't we let the cooks, drivers, cleaners in as well, sod it everyone who has ever been paid by the British Government for diong a job which they accepted. What's so special about the interpreters?

The Pprune post says that we have ample room for immigrants. I don't think so!!

The cooks and cleaners weren't seen side by side with our soldiers, going into Iraqui houses and interviewing the occupants were they. They walk in the gate unseen until they leave.

We owe these people a debt to be sure, but I don't see a comparison with the Ghurka's, they have served this country IN our Army and should be treated like British citizens for that reason.

B

Bluntend

We owe these people a debt to be sure, but I don't see a comparison with the Ghurka's, they have served this country IN our Army and should be treated like British citizens for that reason.

Fair point but where do you draw the line between being in the army and being paid by the army to work alongside the army and contribute to army operations?

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I think the question that needs to be answered is "Has the work done on our behalf by these interpreters endangered their lives and those of their families?" If the answer is yes then we must grant them asylum.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
The cooks and cleaners weren't seen side by side with our soldiers, going into Iraqui houses and interviewing the occupants were they. They walk in the gate unseen until they leave.

But it was mentioned on Jeremy Vine (Radio 2) yesterday that they have been identified as working for the British Forces as they enter and leave the compounds and for that reason COULD be in danger.

B

Bluntend

But it was mentioned on Jeremy Vine (Radio 2) yesterday that they have been identified as working for the British Forces as they enter and leave the compounds and for that reason COULD be in danger.

Then the Secretary of Sate needs to decide whether there is a difference between 'could be in danger' and 'are in danger'. If he can be satisfied that these individuals are genuinely in danger because they have chosen to allie themsleves with British Armed Forces, then surely under the rules of the Geneva Convention we should grant them asylum at least?

L

Little Tronk

But surely the whole point of this conflict was to stabalise the region and provide a better standard of life for the Iraqi people. If we say 'you can come here anyway!', why bother with the whole bloody thing in the first place and bring everyone home now.

Its like an Iraqi saying to some poor soldier 'you stay here mate and get shot at for me, I'm going to nip over your gaff spend your money, drive your car and shag your missus. If you live and eventually sort MY gaff out, I'll consider returning but only if you pay me!'

Think about that!

D

DrunkenMonki

But surely the whole point of this conflict was to stabalise the region and provide a better standard of life for the Iraqi people. If we say 'you can come here anyway!', why bother with the whole bloody thing in the first place and bring everyone home now.

Its like an Iraqi saying to some poor soldier 'you stay here mate and get shot at for me, I'm going to nip over your gaff spend your money, drive your car and shag your missus. If you live and eventually sort MY gaff out, I'll consider returning but only if you pay me!'

Think about that!

Not really though is it?

They got jobs working as translators mainly because they spoke English at a time when there was naff all in the way of Jobs in Basra. in doing so they've helped us out innumerable times, probably saving lives by preventing misunderstandings. I think the least we can do in return is look after them. That may not mean bringing them to the UK, relocation with a new ID is possible surely?

One of the problems we face at the moment over there is from a lack of trust. Here we can get it right, and maybe others will realise we arn't yanks after all.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Why do they need to come here? If living in Iraq is the problem then let them move to a nearer country, Jordan (too many refugees already) Saudi (Labour shortages) Iran (too full of the Royal Navy) or many of the other Arabic Countries. This would be a lesser culture shock to them,

One guy on the radio today was already in Damascus, Yes I know Syria is not the nicest place in the world today.

R

rodger-dodger

Why do they need to come here? If living in Iraq is the problem then let them move to a nearer country, Jordan (too many refugees already) Saudi (Labour shortages) Iran (too full of the Royal Navy) or many of the other Arabic Countries. This would be a lesser culture shock to them,

One guy on the radio today was already in Damascus, Yes I know Syria is not the nicest place in the world today.

We could employ them within our new to be border guard thingymajig, they could translate for us and tell the other 'ileagles' to feck off.:raf:

Or

We could let them work for the government, teaching us all arabic for when george Gallaway gets into power.

Or

They could just chill out and paid hansomley from the state for doing sweet FA.

Sorted. Any more issues you want solving just giz a nod.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

D

Defender of the universe

Why should we? At the end of the day they knew what they were getting into and the risks.
Sorry to all the guys who think we should open our gates but personally I think that they should be given protection inbtheir own country.
Have we not done enough for them? Men have lost their lives so as these people can live freely in their own country and by granting them the right to enter the UK , I believe this would just be another way of saying sorry we failed to deliver on what we promised so feel free to come and live with us..
Get real sort out the mess and ensure that these people can sontinue every day life in their own environment

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I believe this would just be another way of saying sorry we failed to deliver on what we promised so feel free to come and live with us..
Get real sort out the mess and ensure that these people can sontinue every day life in their own environment

I feel sure that is what the Iraqi interpreters would prefer too. If we complete the job of restoring peace in Iraq then there will be no grounds for these people to claim asylum, but we should be prepared to answer questions about what our responsibilities will be if we should ultimately fail.