• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warning on Dell computers

Having ordered a Dell Laptop I received a message from the delivery company telling me that the Laptop would be delivered on the 28 May 08 between 08:00 and 13:00.

On the day my daughter waited at home (loosing £30 in overtime she could of made) and no delivery came.

I contacted Dell who gave me the delivery company's no I called the delivery company and was told the driver could not get his GPS to find you I said ok please deliver to my wife's work address (less than 1 mile from my house)

Delivery company say cant do that Dell say must be delivered to address on order I say ok please deliver delivery company say they cant because they cant find my house if I want Laptop will have to collect (30 mile round trip)

Called Dell to say I will collect but want my delivery money back Dell say can't Do that they have paid delivery company upfront.

So if I want Laptop I should collect if not after 3 days of non delivery it will be sent back to Dell

Over to the to you what would you do ?

G

grumpyoldb

How did you pay for the laptop?
If it was by card, ring your card company, inform them of non-delivery, and claim the payment back.

Good luck.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Get an Ordnance Survey map of your area, work out the grid reference for your house and give that to Dell/delivery company along with the map number. If you live in a rural area apparently a single postcode can cover as much as 2 square miles and the way that these GPS postcode finders work is by taking the user to the center of the postcode address (so I'm led to believe). Or use Flash Earth http://www.flashearth.com/ and give them the Lat/Long for your house.

And it may be worth giving the Trading Standards people a call too, see what their take on the situation is.

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
I had a similar problem earlier this year. Ended up collecting from the delivery company over 20 miles each way i.e. 40 mile round trip a suitbaly worded call got me my delivery charge refunded.

Alternatively write to them advising them to reconsider if not you will report them to watchdog.

Hope this helps.

G

grumpyoldb

Write to Dell and say something like this.

Ref Order number.

On (insert date) I placed the above order for a Laptop with you, for which I paid in advance. The Laptop has still not been received.

Under the sale of goods act 1979 you are required to deliver the Laptop to me within a reasonable time. As (period) has elapsed since I placed the order, you have failed to fulfil this statutory requirement and are therefore in breach of contract.

I am now making time of essence. If you do not send me the laptop within seven days, I will consider our contract at an end, as I am entitled to in law, and will expect you to refund the full price of (price) to me.

If you fail to deliver the laptop to me within seven days I shall have no alternative but to issue a claim against you in the County court for recovery of the money without reference to you.

Your sincerely

Blah blah.

You have rights under the sale of goods act.

You don't have to go to the county court. Just refuse to pay for the goods if they dont arrive.
Company's dont like to lose business, and if their delivery agent fails to deliver on time, the company are liable.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Under the sale of goods act 1979 you are required to deliver the Laptop to me within a reasonable time. As (period) has elapsed since I placed the order, you have failed to fulfil this statutory requirement and are therefore in breach of contract.

This is the nub of the matter I believe. Your contract to purchase the computer lies between you and Dell, not the courier company. They are sub-contracted by Dell to deliver it to you; if they can't find your address then that is their and subsequently Dell's problem not yours.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Having ordered a Dell Laptop I received a message from the delivery company telling me that the Laptop would be delivered on the 28 May 08 between 08:00 and 13:00.

On the day my daughter waited at home (loosing £30 in overtime she could of made) and no delivery came.

I contacted Dell who gave me the delivery company's no. I called the delivery company and was told the driver could not get his GPS to find you . . . . . . .

?

WTF has it to do with the driver's GPS ?. Paralysed by Technology ?
Can't he get a friggin' MAP ?
Never heard of the local Post Office ?
Folk walking in the area ?

Claim for loss of earnings, too!!