• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vulcan Stories

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
I've hated Spacies ever since

Off Topic You didn't happen to be a SENC on LTF at Binbrook in the summer of 1982 by any chance???? There was one on the line there who had a good way of dealing with Spacies who didn't do what he told them. However you couldn't get away with it now.Off Topic

Last edited:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Off Topic You didn't happen to be a SENC on LTF at Binbrook in the summer of 1982 by any chance???? There was one on the line there who had a good way of dealing with Spacies who didn't do what he told them. However you couldn't get away with it now.Off Topic
I'll answer these in turn

1. No I only went to Binbrook to nick the Bomb once
2. Good Man that
3. Yes you can but its best done by humiliating their adult instructors - they will vent their wrath on the little feckers later for laughing at them - hence they get in the sh!t and not you.

By the way - What the fcuks a SENC?

Hu

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Another true Vulcan story.

Another true Vulcan story.

This story was related to me by the Vulcan crew chief who was in the aircraft and he stood on the crew ladder behind the two pilots and witnessed the whole incident.

In 1981, a Vulcan was on detachment to Malta and was there at the same time as a Nimrod squadron. At night in the Officer’s Mess bar, the Nimrod crews were trying to take the p*ss out of the Vulcan crew about flying an antiquated aircraft (kettle black springs to mind here).

The Vulcan Captain warned the Nimrod crews that when they left the next day they would show them something special. Next morning, the Nimrod squadron watched the Vulcan carry out a routine take off and head off into the distance.

Disgusted with what they thought was an inept display they returned back to work at the Nimrod line. Unknown to them the Vulcan had gone low level after the take off and had swung round the island to do a low level run over the airfield. The Nimrods were positioned in two long lines in an arrow type formation on the flight line and the Vulcan appeared over the airfield and descended that low it was travelling down through the Nimrod line at approx the same height as the Nimrod fins.

When the Vulcan got to the end of the line, the Pilot applied full power - pulled the nose up and blasted vertically up into the blue Mediterranean sky.
The Crew Chief later heard that the Vulcan had blown 2 Linies of a Nimrod, scattered ground equipment all over the place and the Nimrod squadron Warrant Officer had come out of the line hut to see what the noise was to be met by the sight of the Vulcan barrelling straight for him - rumour has it he promptly fell over with a suspected heart attack!

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
Probably not relevant but I, NEQcounter, as an LAC flew in a Vulcan bomber whilst stationed at Waddington in 1983.

Taa naa!!

Taxi??

dkh51250

Sergeant
Many years ago, I was stood on the ORP at Waddo, me and my SLR looking after the nose end of a Vulcan during an exercise Mickey Finn. At the opposite end to the nose was a policeman (newly arrived and super keen) keeping nice and dry under that bloody big wing. Siren bell and klaxon go to bring all 4 aircraft on the ORP up to readiness 02. At this point myself three other nose guards and three policemen start running towards the caravan parked on the ORP, because in a very short time 12 Olympus (should that be Olympi?) engines are going to be air started with that never to be forgotten whistle as they wind up. Our newly arrived hero is ignorant to this aspect of the exercise and oblivious to everything going on around him maintained his post. (bless him) His efforts to remain upright against the efflux of four Olymus (Olympi) greatly entertained those of us in the caravan. As he was being blown across the airfield towards the bomb dump his RAFP colleagues displayed great sympathy chattering about how he could be charged for losing his NBC kit and his failure to read the orders for aircraft guards, oh what a joy they were to work with. Luckily we ony had to endure aircraft guard during exercises, they did it for a living!!!!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
vulcan stories

vulcan stories

Try out Vulcan 607, excellent book, talk about improvise, adapt and overcome. Shows off the very best of our (rapidly eroding) can-do abilities and self belief. Bloody proud to have worked on them for three years before transferring to tonkas 3 days after the Falklands bish bash started.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Try out Vulcan 607, excellent book, talk about improvise, adapt and overcome. Shows off the very best of our (rapidly eroding) can-do abilities and self belief. Bloody proud to have worked on them for three years before transferring to tonkas 3 days after the Falklands bish bash started.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

We bought that book as a christmas present for my father in law, bl00dy missus wouldn't let me read it before we sent it though ....It did look like a good read.....

E

exerk

We bought that book as a christmas present for my father in law, bl00dy missus wouldn't let me read it before we sent it though ....It did look like a good read.....

Trust me, it is! Just a pity they didn't cover all the Black Buck missions in detail.