• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Video replays good or bad?

Video replays good or bad?

• Good

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The FA and premier league have backed the introduction of video technology to end the uncertainty over goal line incidents

is this a good thing for the sport?

A

Albert Park

Personally, I think it's a bad thing. It might work in other sports where there are natural breaks e.g.

a. Rugby League - when a try is scored and the officials are unsure
b. Cricket - when there is a run out and the umpires are not sure
c. Tennis - when the officials call the ball 'out'
d. American Football - when a touchdown is scored and the officials are unsure

All video evidence can be viewed because play has halted. Football is completely different to these sports as play does not stop on when there is a goal line incident.

If video technology was used in football for goal line incidents, at what point is the 'evidence' viewed? An incident could occur and the ball could remain in play for some time. So, the question remains - is play halted? Is so, on whose authority? The referee is liable to shirk responsibility and pass it to the 'video referee'.

I've heard talk of an official in a 'booth' who will make 'instant' decisions and contact the referee via his headset. If this is the case then, as far as I can see, the ref on the pitch is a lame duck. The 'booth' referee might as well have control of the game. The 'pitch' referee will probably get a poor assessment also.

This is just an example of poor refereeing - nothing more, nothing less.

net185_145880a.jpg

What if the technology fails? Are we to rely on the referee and the assistants? Can they now be trusted since they have more or less been branded impotent in making decisions?

I say leave it alone. It's a game played by humans and should be officiated by humans. When all these sports (Rugby League, Cricket, Tennis and American Football) are played at lower levels, is technology available? No, I didn't think so. It's not used by the majority and where I come from the majority rules.

Off Topic If they want to improve football - get the offside law sorted so that EVERYONE understands it.

C

Chuff Chart

Hell yeah, Im all for it, have been behind it for years. Only problem theyre gonna have is laying down what vid replays should be sed for and how to enforce it. You just know that every time a Ronaldo or Martins or Crouch goes down theyre gonna be screaming for the replay. Id say only to be used for possible goals, red card incidents and penalty decisions.
And as for technology failing, not nowadays really. If Sky can get you a 6 angle replay withing 6 seconds every time, theres not gonna be an issue with reliability

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Personally, I think it's a bad thing. It might work in other sports. I say leave it alone. It's a game played by humans and should be officiated by humans.
I agree with the smoggie how far down the levels of football is this technology going to reach Not very far. Internationals and Premiership probably. It opens a whole new can of worms.

Can you image Taggerts reaction when the Portugese winker goes down once more looking for a pen or tries to engineer a sending off with a blatant dive.

Try Colin W@nker (Neil Warnock anagram = Colin w@nker) at Sheffield he would blow a gasket if the ref on the field was over ruled by a machine

Let the Refs do it sure there will be errors but to err is human, rub of the green and all that. For sure you won't get video refs in league 2 when the mighty Stanley are away at Rochdale or some other exotic place like Gay Meadow.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
It's a bad thing. If all decisions were cut & dried, we'd have nothing to argue about in the pub and we wouldn't be able to refer to past injustices to defend our national team!!

On a serious note, I think it'd slow the game down and also, who'd fund the technology? If it's the club then that's OK for big clubs, but how about the financial strugglers?

F

F3 DF

There should be no need for funding, the cameras are always there at the games anyway. I'm sure the managers would be in favour of it, although the managers would have no one to blame but there players for diving and such. A good idea which is overdue in football, it only takes about 1-2 mins in rugby league to make a descision and it would be quicker in football as there are less things to contend with. Good idea, only for goal line disputes and penalties. The game could be blown up for the video ref and then if no penalty or goal the game can be restarted with a drop ball

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
There should be no need for funding, the cameras are always there at the games anyway

Depends on which games you're on about using the technology? You would have to implement it at all professional games, surely? How about the likes of Boston v Grimsby or East Fife v Cowdenbeath.

A

Albert Park

it only takes about 1-2 mins in rugby league to make a descision and it would be quicker in football as there are less things to contend with.

The game could be blown up for the video ref and then if no penalty or goal the game can be restarted with a drop ball

The game stops naturally in Rugby League so the ref can handbag any 'difficult' decisions to the ref in the stands. What you're proposing is to STOP a free-flowing game on a whim, or constant appealing.

Never heard so much $hite.

A

Albert Park

Depends on which games you're on about using the technology? You would have to implement it at all professional games, surely? How about the likes of Boston v Grimsby or East Fife v Cowdenbeath.

That's what I'm getting at - it's only the elite games that will have the technology. Unless Alan Sugar is going to make an Amstrad Video Ref Kit for £49.99.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
That's what I'm getting at - it's only the elite games that will have the technology. Unless Alan Sugar is going to make an Amstrad Video Ref Kit for £49.99.

But you can't favour those with money!!

How about the early rounds of the FA cup where say Chelsea play away at Southend for instance?

C

Comms_Lad

If the clock was stopped everytime their was a dispute (whether vid ref or not involved) it would also make the game a bit more fair. How many games have you seen this season where the likes of Man Utd or Chelski have been given an extra 5 mins at the end of the game to pull off a win??

disgruntled villa fan here by the way lol

The video works fine in Rugby, because the ref uses his judgement and honesty to call for it, ie when he wasnt in a position to see what happened. Which happens in football a lot the ref and his linesmen cannot be everywhere at once.

can i take back what i said about video technology being a good idea?

i'm a west ham fan and i think it should definately stay out of football for decisions on whether the ball has crossed the line!

sorry blackburn fans

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Personally I would rather not have video replays used.
Just a few points:
I've always said that if I need to see replays to make up my mind on something then, even if the ref gets it wrong, I can't complain about the decision he's made. However this doesn't mean that using replays solves this problem.
Video replays don't ensure correct decisions, as I am often seeing in sports where replays are used (6 nations at the weekend)
Half the time pundits still can't agree on decisions even after seeing multiple angles at multiple speeds with computer technology. How often do you see three or four 'experts' sit there disputing something they've been shown 10-20 times. Southgate said the other night that he'd seen the penalty which involved Ronaldo and that he wasn't sure if it was a penalty. If you're not sure how can you complain?
It still comes down to interpretation at whatever speed or angle you look at incidents, and that goes for the ball crossing the line as well because again every weekend there are disagreements involving 'expert pundits' on this very subject.
There are too many 'suits' medling with the beautiful game as it is.
Refereeing standards are dropping in my opinion, but I don't think it helps when they are continuously undermined and questioned by a millionaire ASBO with a foul mouth and FIFA changing the goal posts every season.
Leave the game be.
Let us argue at the pub about rights and wrongs.
Let us continue to sometimes feel lucky, and sometimes feel hard done by.
Let us go back to the old school rules on offsides, injuries, bookings, celebrations etc that used to make the game entertaining.

UP ARGYLE! :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Status
Not open for further replies.