• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

V02 Max

S

Scrufty Bear

Note the highlighted parts. We don't get to do that (officially). Does that mean we're not doing the test properly???

How to conduct the test

The test is made up of 23 levels where each level lasts approx. one minute. Each level comprises of a series of 20m shuttles where the starting speed is 8.5km/hr and increases by 0.5km/hr at each level. On the tape a single beep indicates the end of a shuttle and 3 beeps indicates the start of the next level. The test is conducted as follows:

Measure out a 20 metres section and mark each end with a marker cone
The athlete carries out a warm up program of jogging and stretching exercises
The test is conducted
The athlete must place one foot on or beyond the 20m marker at the end of each shuttle
If the athlete arrives at the end of a shuttle before the beep, the athlete must wait for the beep and then resume running
The athlete keeps running for as long as possible until he/she can longer keep up with the speed set by the tape at which point they should voluntarily withdraw.
If the athlete fails to reach the end of the shuttle before the beep they should be allowed 2 or 3 further shuttles to attempt to regain the required pace before being withdrawn
Record the level and number of shuttles completed at that level by the athlete
At the end of the test the athletes conduct a warm down program, including stretching exercises

GP

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Has anyone ever seen or heard of anyone getting to level 21?

I've seen some racing snake at STM years ago get to 16 and he was blowing helluva hard when he finally packed in...

S

Scrufty Bear

I've seen some racing snake at STM years ago get to 16 and he was blowing helluva hard when he finally packed in...

just given my keyboard a drink of tea after reading that it has 23 levels in all - WHY???????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The old sweats on here, and they know who they are, never had to contemplate this bollox before going somewhere hot. We know water is important, we know we should behave and not get ****ed too much....... but we all came back without collapsing when the mercury rose above 40 FFS unlike some of todays puppies

pan-trash

LAC

We looked it up at work, a few people have actually completed it. Lance Armstrong and David Beckham included.

Sod that...

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We looked it up at work, a few people have actually completed it. Lance Armstrong and David Beckham included.

Sod that...

I wouldn't have thought Beckham was quick enough...he certainly wasn't on the pitch!

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
The old sweats on here, and they know who they are, never had to contemplate this bollox before going somewhere hot. We know water is important, we know we should behave and not get ****ed too much....... but we all came back without collapsing when the mercury rose above 40 FFS unlike some of todays puppies

Here Here.

Ive done over 3 years total in the middle east over the last 20 years and today was the first time I had to do a V02 Max test. Ive been in 58 Degree's of heat working out on a sand strip with nothing but sun tan oil and a cool box full of water. I've never fainted, passed out or ****ed dark brown. If your sensible then you look after yourself. Knowing and understanding the dangers of sun/heat exhaustion is all part of your own personal responsibility and if you can't do that then you really shouldn't, in my eyes, be in the forces.

Being another old fart I managed only 8.4 today with a bad cold and flem on the chest that would kill a civvy.

Still, when I'm fit I will hopefully **** the 8.9 I have to do this year......bring it on.

G

gemarriott

When I was coaching colt rugby at under 17 level we had 10 players could reach level 16 out of a squad of 25. A couple of years later 4 could but of course by then they had found beer and women:pDT_Xtremez_14:

The best was an open side flanker who hit 19 . 6

I was told by the guy who coached fitness for the 1990 England Rugby team that Miguel Indurain used 95 % of his oxy uptake and that of all sportsmen road cyclists were by far the aerobic champs