• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Use of the term 'Ma'am' to address female officers and warrant officers

Another thing that ****es me off is why do I have to refer to female officers and warrant officers as 'Ma'am'. I know it is an abbrieviation for madam but it sounds like mum when pronounced and I only have one mum thanks so why am I forced into a position where I have to call some complete stranger a word that sounds like mum. Can we not just use the proper word 'Madam'.

I have done 8 tours of operations including Iraq and Afghanistan so I don't need to do basic again to know what the military is about. I am the one that should be called sir, not some 20 yr old kid out of cranwell with a stripe on his shoulder and thinks he knows everything :)

dessp2

SAC
Another thing that ****es me off is why do I have to refer to female officers and warrant officers as 'Ma'am'. I know it is an abbrieviation for madam but it sounds like mum when pronounced and I only have one mum thanks so why am I forced into a position where I have to call some complete stranger a word that sounds like mum. Can we not just use the proper word 'Madam'.[/QUOTE

Shame there isn't NAAFI bops anymore because it sounds like you need a good flooring.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I have done 8 tours of operations including Iraq and Afghanistan so I don't need to do basic again to know what the military is about. I am the one that should be called sir, not some 20 yr old kid out of cranwell with a stripe on his shoulder and thinks he knows everything :)

I've got to ask.... are you the squadron knob by any chance?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Another thing that ****es me off is why do I have to refer to female officers and warrant officers as 'Ma'am'. I know it is an abbrieviation for madam but it sounds like mum when pronounced and I only have one mum thanks so why am I forced into a position where I have to call some complete stranger a word that sounds like mum. Can we not just use the proper word 'Madam'.

Would you like to talk to somebody about any problems you might have.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant

Once again, the problem appears to be with you !

If Ma'am and Mum sound the same - then you are not speaking clearly enough

try something like: http://www.onestopenglish.com/skills/pronunciation/pronunciation-exercises/ to help speak clearer

Although, if you do think female officers are you mum - then you have some real issues and should get help.. These may be why you were never promoted, and are still living in the singles block at 35 - just sayin'

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
I've got to ask.... are you the squadron knob by any chance?

Sounds to me that they would be the one to avoid. The one that's the first person that talks to the new boy when they arrive on section.
Or
They are just Trolling this site.

Mr SCJ

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber

Why should they call you Sir, especially with the large amounts of Oxygen you are stealing.

Ronsuddes

SAC
You will be a lot happier in the RAF if you try and look at the positive things instead of the negative.

Put your minor gripes on one side of paper and all the positives on the other side.

Think of all the positives you have above your mates at school.

Start with Mates, Travel, Free Dental & Medical, Pay, Subsidised Housing, Training, Free Education, Sport etc etc

If you are still very unhappy perhaps the RAF isn't the life for you.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
What will tomorrow moan be? Surely berets are archaic and should be replaced with baseball caps.......

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What will tomorrow moan be? Surely berets are archaic and should be replaced with baseball caps.......

I think uniform should be the next gripe...I mean why can't folk just wear what they want?