• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Urgent - new fitness test requirements???

wench02

SAC
Just been on careers website, out of pure chance I happened to look at the fitness page. It says on there that the pjft will now be 100 % of the standards ie 10 press ups and 32 sit ups, as of 19th September.

If I pass medical my fitness test will around 25th sept. Does this mean I will have to do the higher level stuff, or the previous level, as my application is going through.

I have asked AFCO, waiting for a reply. If I have to do more, it's not very fair, as there has been no notice whatsoever :(

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Wench,

You've already done the best thing, and that's to speak with your AFCO.

Yes the Fitness standards are creeping up, and have been for a while. You shouldn't be aiming to 'just pass' 100/70/70% of the Fitness Test. you should be aiming at 100% of each of the 3 disciplines.

If your Fitness Assesment is 100% at your PJFT, then you will be expected to pass 100% on PRTC, which i believe is being introduced from November.

wench02

SAC
I haven't been aiming to "just" pass, I am not that stupid! However, if you have read any of my previous posts, I have to admit I do struggle with the press ups. I have been working on them for months, and slowly but surely I am getting there with them; so to find out two weeks before the test I have more to do, I am pretty gutted. I have been putting my heart and sole into passing this fitness test, I don't want to fail. I can knock out about 29 sit ups in a minute, bit of practise and I should be ok. It's just so annoying that I have found out so near the test, and potential changes werent mentioned at the selection tests or interview.

Edited: just heard back from AFCO, I have to meet the new requirements. Flipping good job I looked on the website, pretty poor changing the boundaries without letting you know...

Last edited:

MattBombHead

Sergeant
I appreciate that you're a bit gutted that the goal posts have been changed so near to your test date, but at least you've had the notice...

I have no doubt that there is some poor sap who is blissfully unaware of the standards change, and will arrive expecting to do 100/70/70, only to be sorely dissapointed...

wench02

SAC
I am glad I have notice, will have to put on even more practise over the next couple of weeks.

I do think it's pretty bad not to be told of the changes though; I am fairly proactive person, as above I really want to get in, but not to even mention standards would be going up is pretty poor form.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wouldn't hurt to get used to the goalposts moving at the last minute either. Its gonna happen a lot if you stick with the RAF.

wench02

SAC
Well just going to have to make the best of a bad job. I know in interview I was asked about what I would have to pass on fitness and reeled it all off. I am pretty dammed sure he didn't mention more would be required (this was just over three weeks ago) else I would have been working my ar$e off even more than I have.

wench02

SAC
The job I do at the minute could involve me being sent anywhere in uk with 24 hours notice. and being told I want this report today instead of tommorow.

As pointed out above, thankfully I have time to do something about it, some others will prob get a huge shock when they get to the gym!

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The job I do at the minute could involve me being sent anywhere in uk with 24 hours notice. and being told I want this report today instead of tommorow.

The job you're going to won't be much different either just insert "world" instead of UK!

G

gemarriott

As pointed out above, thankfully I have time to do something about it, some others will prob get a huge shock when they get to the gym!

Toughsh1t, it is the Airforce not the fairforce

N

nephilim

Try to crack out 1/4 more than the minimum. The minimum is not good enough especially if you want to get far!

To be fair, with most fitness tests when people know its their job on the line they just bite down and smash out that extra bit more effort to pass, and with you being sent anywhere within 24 hours notice, all it needs to practice pressups is a floor and situps is something to put your legs under.

As you have pointed out you have the commonsense to plan and check, which is what we are looking for. We are also lookingfor people who are adaptable and agile, change is good and should be embraced.We have too many lard arses in the Air Force, so that is the reason forstandards going up at recruiting. Bumping your gums about the fact that youhave not been told will not pass the test. So put your anger, frustration etcinto your fitness. Mention to your AFCO the fact you have not been told, but doit with tact, or you will not even be coming to PRTC........when is your PRTC?

Top Tip....get fit, fitter than the test requires, then you don’t have to worryabout it. I see far to many people after the test who have failed, saying Ithought I had done enough................well clearly not.....bye bye