• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unnecessary NI court action

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Double standards as usual,no change there then.
No double standards at all.

One set of suspects have been coached to lie and admit nothing for their whole lifetime.
Another set of interviewees thought they were doing the right thing and would be looked after.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
No double standards at all.

One set of suspects have been coached to lie and admit nothing for their whole lifetime.
Another set of interviewees thought they were doing the right thing and would be looked after.
I'll clarify my quote. Double standards by the government. They choose to appease the republican narrative.

And just to be clear Martin Magennis stated that "he would take some secrets to the grave rather than tell what actually went on. For me that tells you everything you need to know and the British Government should have at that point pulled every piece of funding and made it clear that no British serviceman will ever be prosecuted,

Last edited:

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Just for clarity - I include both Republican and Loyalist in my phrase "Irish terrorists". But I agree about Double Standards. Either everyone is prosecuted or nobody is prosecuted.

Agree, they will both cut your throat as quick as you would look at them.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'll clarify my quote. Double standards by the government. They choose to appease the republican narrative.

And just to be clear Martin Magennis stated that "he would take some secrets to the grave rather than tell what actually went on. For me that tells you everything you need to know and the British Government should have at that point pulled every piece of funding and made it clear that no British serviceman will ever be prosecuted,
And I'll clarify mine.

No double standards by the govt/CPS/MFI/CI5.

Irishman gets called in, "we've evidence you shot at 1,2,& 3" . Not me, wasn't there.
Englishman gets called in, "did you shoot at a,b &c ?" Yes.

Every single serviceman should have gone into the interview room and said it was 40yrs ago I can't remember.
Every single serviceman should have been instructed by his legal council that it was 40yrs ago and your memory might not be what it was.

Admit nothing, make them prove it.

4everAD

Sergeant
And I'll clarify mine.

No double standards by the govt/CPS/MFI/CI5.

Irishman gets called in, "we've evidence you shot at 1,2,& 3" . Not me, wasn't there.
Englishman gets called in, "did you shoot at a,b &c ?" Yes.

Every single serviceman should have gone into the interview room and said it was 40yrs ago I can't remember.
Every single serviceman should have been instructed by his legal council that it was 40yrs ago and your memory might not be what it was.

Admit nothing, make them prove it.
Isn't the problem that when soldiers shot people there were investigations at the time? It could only have been a few that did it and if they admitted it in self defence/preventing the deaths of others etc. then they reasonably thought owning up was the right thing to do/unavoidable. Cleared at the time it is only now that certain people,e are questioning the initial investigations. Just saying I don't remember wont work as you made statements etc. at the time.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Another twist to the story.

"Conditional immunity from prosecutions for Troubles-era crimes, contained in the UK government's controversial Legacy Act, is in breach of the European Convention on Human Rights, the High Court in Belfast has ruled."

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
NI a time and a story that seemingly just won't go quietly into the history books even decades after the "troubles". Those in uniform in the 70's, if they are still with us, are heading for their own personal 70's now.