• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Union Jack Club

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Anybody used it recently. Any ex blue suits used it. Is it worth getting membership and then paying room prices or is it cheaper to get a travel lodge/premier Inn.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Anybody used it recently. Any ex blue suits used it. Is it worth getting membership and then paying room prices or is it cheaper to get a travel lodge/premier Inn.

I think it's worth it if you're travelling with family and want to use one of the bigger family rooms. If there's just two of you I dare say the hotel chains you've mentioned would offer similar deals. I think it's only about £20 a year to join? If so and you use it a couple of times it might be cost neutral? It is well placed for things like the Tower, Tower bridge, South Bank, big wheel etc mind...

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think it's worth it if you're travelling with family and want to use one of the bigger family rooms. If there's just two of you I dare say the hotel chains you've mentioned would offer similar deals. I think it's only about £20 a year to join? If so and you use it a couple of times it might be cost neutral? It is well placed for things like the Tower, Tower bridge, South Bank, big wheel etc mind...
It's a one off. But it's for a few days so it might work out cheaper. These hotels put their prices up at weekends. Don't suppose you know how much a taxi is from central London after chucking out time.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We used the Premier Inn at Southark a while back...I have to say it was bloody good! Staff were amazing, let us put our luggage in the bag room hours before we could check in, really spoilt the kids in the bar and restaurant and it's got a Tesco metro next door for cheap in-room sharpeners and a pub 50m away which was a top boozer.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just looked at their current members price list. Looks ok if you're a singly but for couples and families you'd get much better deals with travelodge and premiere inn. Look for their advance purchase deals. Otherwise, use hotel bucket sites as mentioned here.
UJ Club prices.JPG
My personal preference is the Travelodge in Covent Garden. It varies between £80 and £100 per room per night. There is an NCP across the road. If we go to London for a weekend, it's cheaper to drive and pay NCP parking rates than using the train (usually £25-35 for 48 hours) in a secure car park.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Also, if you have a defence discount card, try holiday-inn. You have to use the link from the defence discount web-site to book. I've used it a few times and the discounts are pretty good, especially with the advance purchase rates.

Kenbophaw

LAC
If you eat in restaurant steer clear of the mussels in white wine sauce! My toilet didnt look pretty the next day!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I've used UJC recently (still serving) and am going back there in a week or so. Benefits are that it's right opposite the train station, so very little trekking on foot with luggage - literally straight off the underground into the UJC. From a families perspective, the family rooms are also better than the London Travelodge etc variant, which tend to be a double room with two extra fold up beds = not a lot of floor space when those are up! Whereas the UJC family rooms have 2 separate rooms for kids and adults, and the prices are cheaper than other London hotels with that level of living space. You only have to pay a deposit when you book, the rest you pay when you get there unless you'd rather pay the whole lot up front. It's also a little more secure than most hotels, in that you need some sort of ID just to get through the door (with a travelodge etc, you could just wander in, get in the lift, go up to whatever floor you want etc without being questioned). You also have the benefit of a 'private' bar, so no overcrowed rooms when a game is on the TV.

Downsides - UJC is more expensive than Travelodge etc (though like I said, you get what you pay for), breakfast is the old Mess style buffet (pro or con, you decide), the food isn't bad but it definitely ain't gourmet. Their phone service is rubbish, a lot of the staff have strong foreign accents (like FSU accents!) and the customer service of the front desk can be a bit lax sometimes. Website is also a pain in the ass.

However, we've paid just over £300 for 3 nights in the centre of London, in a hotel with excellent transport links, good security, a relatively cheap bar (by London standards) etc. The same thing in a hotel just down the road was double the price.

Roobarb

SAC
We used the Premier Inn at Southark a while back...I have to say it was bloody good! Staff were amazing, let us put our luggage in the bag room hours before we could check in, really spoilt the kids in the bar and restaurant and it's got a Tesco metro next door for cheap in-room sharpeners and a pub 50m away which was a top boozer.

That may in fact be the pub across the road from my workplace ...

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I use the VSC - free to join & it doesn't have the barrack block feel about it.

Right next to Marble Arch/Hyde Park, Wetherspoons just over the road for a brekkie/cheap sharpener to get the day started.

After a day out, there is some awesome food 2 mins away if you want to chance the restaurants with the dodgy hookha blokes sitting outside.

If that's outside your comfort zone, there is a McDs/Burger King somewhere.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I've used the UJC regularly for about 17 years and all the above is correct. I've even met 'foreign' friends off the train and we've all stayed there. AQS you would imagine, I'm also a member.
In addition, though, is the car parking. If you book early enough you may be able to book a place in the underground car park for free - and I've saved £60-£100 on a three day trip.

ERT

Corporal
I use the VSC - free to join & it doesn't have the barrack block feel about it.

Right next to Marble Arch/Hyde Park, Wetherspoons just over the road for a brekkie/cheap sharpener to get the day started.

After a day out, there is some awesome food 2 mins away if you want to chance the restaurants with the dodgy hookha blokes sitting outside.

If that's outside your comfort zone, there is a McDs/Burger King somewhere.

Stayed at the VSC, massive hotel... walking down the corridor expecting a huge room. Opened the door to find that the door just missed the edge of the bed. It did have a ensuite with a bath/shower but the room was a bit smaller than expected.

I guess with the location, rooms need to be smaller to fit lots in..