• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umbrella Companies

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Anyone here contract...?

If so, can you recommend any reliable, good umbrella companies? Or ones to avoid....

Cheers.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Says the man who ducks a question like a veteran politician. It depends on what sort of contract work you are looking for and where. Open ended? set period? qualified? un-qualified? UK based? Europe? ME? elsewhere... Etc etc Also pay.. tax free, per diem, zero hours.. It goes on and on.

The company I contracted with for a year looked attractive at first, tax free, open ended, annual tax free bonus etc. apparently, they are good to work for in some areas, and pants in others. I happened to be in a pants one.. Thats why I walked after 12 months.

I used an umbrella company so that I did not have to deal with my own tax and insurance. I did not intend contract for long so I did not go down the route of setting up my own company. Some agencies will ask you to use an umbrella company as they will not deal with your P.A.Y.E etc. Take a look at these guys I had no problems with them and they were helpful when I needed advice. I was still able to claim expenses Etc.

www.paramountsolutions.co.uk

If you are planning to contract for a long period it's worth looking at starting your own company. Hope this helps.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Cheers guys...

It would be for someone doing agency work for the NHS, probably for no more than a year, at numerous disparate sites. The umbrella company seemed an easier option than setting up a ltd company....

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was going to post a smart ass reply, about makers of umbrellas, so I googled umbrella companies and it came jump with loads of companies the OP was asking about and virtually nothing for umbrella makers. 😀😀😀😀😀