• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

UK car tax changing yet again. 2023-2024

foxOneFive

Corporal

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
How nice to see the price of taxing my car is rising to keep in line with inflation, yet the Govt have spent the last 12 months twisting about giving their own workers a pay rise to keep in line with inflation.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My guess is revenue has decreased due to Elec car lack of tax.
Not just car tax. Every litre of petrol or diesel sold attracts fuel duty a tax which enters the government coffers. As the number of electric cars ramps up the revenue from fuel duty drops off. Its easy to tax an energy source (Petrol) that is use almost exclusively for vehicles on the roads. It's much harder to tax the energy used for charging cars when that energy could be powering many other things a kettle, a lawn mower or charging you car. Future chancellors will have to find a way to replace that lost fuel duty revenue, perhaps even introducing bigger car tax fees for electric vehicles.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Electric cars will be subject to VED from 2025. In my opinion it should have been this year. If you can afford an expensive Ev you can pay the duty same as other road users.

kawoloki

Sergeant
Not just car tax. Every litre of petrol or diesel sold attracts fuel duty a tax which enters the government coffers. As the number of electric cars ramps up the revenue from fuel duty drops off. Its easy to tax an energy source (Petrol) that is use almost exclusively for vehicles on the roads. It's much harder to tax the energy used for charging cars when that energy could be powering many other things a kettle, a lawn mower or charging you car. Future chancellors will have to find a way to replace that lost fuel duty revenue, perhaps even introducing bigger car tax fees for electric vehicles.
All pointing towards trackers in every car and charges per mile or per minute the engine is on...

dctyke

Corporal
I was told the latest smart electric meters can detect if it is a vehicle that is drawing electricity. How long before different tariff tax, one for household, one for cars.

foxOneFive

Corporal
I was told the latest smart electric meters can detect if it is a vehicle that is drawing electricity. How long before different tariff tax, one for household, one for cars.
I wont be getting a smart meter as long as I have a hole in my ar$$. Come to think of it....an elec car as well

Allflapnofly

Corporal
Apparently they're introducing window tax for vehicles as well!

Y'know, like the property window tax of old for every window you had in your gaff you were taxed on it....So as soon as I've finished typing I'm off to brick up my Audi windscreen....

It'll deffo save me a few bob....