• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TV Coverage of the Queen’s Passing

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Maybe I’m left of centre on this topic, but I think it’s being over-covered.

I may vomit blood if I accidentally watch anymore reporters finding more and more members of the public who caught a glimpse of the queen 30 years ago and embellish it into a story with meaning.,,then have the reporter ask then how sad they are feeling ffs!

24/7 is too much,,,stop dragging it out!

Vushtrri

Sergeant

I may vomit blood if I accidentally watch anymore reporters finding more and more members of the public who caught a glimpse of the queen 30 years ago and embellish it into a story with meaning.,,then have the reporter ask then how sad they are feeling ffs!

Agree.…Some news reader this morning decided we needed to know who was now going to look after the Queens Corgis…..

Deltaitem

Corporal

I think we reached the point of too much several days ago. This has tipped right over into social conditioning and propaganda. In the interests of impartiality, there were boos and protests in Scotland and Wales.
In the interests of context, there is flooding in Pakistan on a biblical scale, a general election in Sweden. Oh, and a small war going on in Ukraine.
In despair of getting news on any other topic from BBC, ITV or Sky, I now tune in to Al Jazeera.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Speaking as someone who has a profound respect for the Queen, I am inclined to agree with Vim. I think the issue is that the BBC, in particular, has a real problem here. They dare not move away from the 'news' story for fear of being criticised as being anti-monarchist and they have little else that they can safely put out instead to fill the hours of airtime. They, therefore, resort to finding ever more minutiae & trivial details to put out.

Edited to add: I think the BBC news programmes in general are getting worse for their over-emphasis on certain topics instead of covering a broader, balanced spectrum of events. I always preferred BBC Breakfast to ITV's offering but find myself turning it on later and off more & more frequently as it has become far too predictable. Bash the Tories, bully a minister, extended story about a sportsman (preferably a rugbyist) raising money for research into some illness, story about a single parent mother of a sick child struggling to cope, cut to a struggling business... [/grumpy old git mode off]

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Purposefully not tuned into normal TV and apart from when I swapped out my hire car on Friday haven’t had the radio on either, even that brief experience reinforced my view that there’s not enough news to fill 24 hours a day.

Of to Europe for a weeks business stuff in the morning so should be able to avoid the worst of it, back in time for the funeral which I will watch.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm getting a bit impervious to the wall to wall 24/7 coverage and now dip in and out of the story for brief periods. As to the TV screening of the funeral itself I really can't see me sitting in front of the goggle box all day for hour after hour. The who's who of the seating plan, the historical minutea of how old the carriage is, the detail of the last time this was done or that was done, sorry the boredom shutters will have dropped by that stage. I will watch but not continually and certainly not for the entirety of the late Queens funeral and committal.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Agree.…Some news reader this morning decided we needed to know who was now going to look after the Queens Corgis…..
Someone who perhaps makes the Corgi's a little nervous, perhaps making them sleep with one eye open?

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
You would expect the BBC commentators to do their homework for such an event as today's coverage of HMtQ's journey to Westminster Hall. The commentator described HMtK as wearing a Field Marshall's uniform when he was wearing the uniform of a MRAF.

edited to add: He also screwed up during the forming up at Wellington Barracks with his failure to correctly identify the Coldstream Guards. He called them Grenadier Guards (single button) when it was the Goldstream Guards (two buttons). I suppose he could claim he was confused because they all wear red jackets and wear furry hats.

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Didn't see too much of it as I was enraptured by yet another compulsory DLE adventure. However, the casket did look a little wonky after the army blokes dropped it off.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Sympathy for the guy face planting whilst standing his turn at the Queens lying in state.

Wifey and I were watching at that moment. He did a couple of wobbles beforehand, regained his position and just as he was about to be relieved, fell forward. The TV cut to the BBC's web-page as the bobbies moved toward him so didn't see him being picked up. Wonder if he has an appointment with his dentist?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've read that the BBC's consistent coverage of it all is now being referred to as.....

Mourn Hub

Deltaitem

Corporal
Although in fairness, ITV News and Sky News are exactly the same. If you want more balanced news stories, Al Jazeera's your place. Having said that, hats off to the Beeb for interviewing some Welsh republicans, good to see a balanced view, and they actually put their point across very well. (y)

Although in fairness, ITV News and Sky News are exactly the same. If you want more balanced news stories, Al Jazeera's your place. Having said that, hats off to the Beeb for interviewing some Welsh republicans, good to see a balanced view, and they actually put their point across very well. (y)

Republicans? Welsh Republicans? Well I never.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Watched some of the funeral and accompanying ceremony on TV. Unlike others, who no doubt didn't miss a milli second, I couldn't watch endless hours of it. What i did see was the British capacity for big state occassions writ large for the world to see. I'm probably biased but I doubt any other nation could have managed, to such a high standard, in such a short time frame the events of today. Well done to the many lads and lasses who were the marching boots on the street they did their duty ever so well.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
We switched the sound off to save us listening to the dribbling of the like-the-sound-of-their-own-voice presenters. Why don't they just STFU and let the pictures do the talking?

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
We switched the sound off to save us listening to the dribbling of the like-the-sound-of-their-own-voice presenters. Why don't they just STFU and let the pictures do the talking?
I was driving this morning so listened in the car; I had to snigger when the commentator described the RN personnel with the gun carriage as RN soldiers and that they were wearing garters..... Yes, he really did say garters... :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: