• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Turkey

Turkey

• YES

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • NO

Votes: 95 77.2%

• Total voters

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Another atrocity...at least 36 killed...attacks at a frequency but tending to be localised to a couple of areas.

Looks this time to be IS.

Would you travel to Turkey currently...would you go on holiday there?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Flying on Monday. Booked before Christmas.... fingers crossed.

We go every year to a certain part some distance from last nights attack...thing is if this is 'IS' stepping up its activities in Turkey then the other main airport to the South has got to be a target...its full of Brits 24/7 throughout the summer.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Based on nothing more than instinct, the BBC news and a wish to live long enough to be properly grumpy and miserable I wouldn't currently holiday within 2 countries of the place.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Returned home, via Dalaman, from Kalkan last week. The resort was very quiet in comparison to recent years and the locals are feeling the bite but hopeful that the season will pick up. I think I'd still go back tomorrow if someone was willing to pay.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Returned home, via Dalaman, from Kalkan last week. The resort was very quiet in comparison to recent years and the locals are feeling the bite but hopeful that the season will pick up. I think I'd still go back tomorrow if someone was willing to pay.
what's Kalkan like.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wouldn`t go there even if there weren`t goings on.
I don`t want to be giving them my hard earned spons.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Looking to get away in early October. Went to marmaris last year. Any other places to go. Just want bars and sand to laze on.

What problems?

What problems?

Just come back from 2 weeks all inc in Sarigerme (near Dalaman) and we had a fantastic time, not one single problem. The Airport (Dalaman) was organised and secuirity conscious, but not to an annoying level, and everything was very smooth.

Anyone wondering whether Turkey is safe - of course it is just make sure you 'Go West' !!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just come back from 2 weeks all inc in Sarigerme (near Dalaman) and we had a fantastic time, not one single problem. The Airport (Dalaman) was organised and secuirity conscious, but not to an annoying level, and everything was very smooth.

Anyone wondering whether Turkey is safe - of course it is just make sure you 'Go West' !!

Just back from nearly 3 weeks in Ovacik...again we found the airport to be although a bit chaotic at the second search point overall not onerous. We found the area to be hurting badly from the lack of tourists and prices are going up which will only hurt it more IMO.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I only voted "No" because of a bad experience with Marrakech a couple of years and I can't imagine Turkey being much better. Even if Turkey is a nice place, I bet there's nicer places to visit.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The attraction for our particular area of Turkey was that is was chilled out (traders and eatery owners didn't hassle you), it was good value for money (eat and drink your fill for around a tenner a head no matter what you ordered) and the weather is an iso-constant 35c with cloudless skies.

What we found this year was the latter was still there but the former two had been hoofed into the long grass. The money I spent on eats could have taken us to the Caribbean and the amount of times we got p1ssed off with traders following us and even when saying 'mate no thanks I don't want to buy any t-shirts' to be told to 'fcuk off home' was horribly high. We liked the villa life there as well but we haven't re-booked for next year I'm afraid.

Last edited: