• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

transfer from the Army

L

Lord_Vetinari

Hi guys, new to this site but am a member of ARRSE. Just a quick question and as it is mainly to do with the RAF I thought this would be the place to post.

Am presently an Electronics tech in the Army, thinking of transfering over to the RAF and after getting a commission as an Egineer Officer.

Am a Sgt at the moment and have served 15 1/2 years, 33 yrs old.

Would there be any dramas/ show stoppers if I applied at this stage in my life. I am totally fit and deployable and willing to give a good amount of years as a return of service (you don't get anything for nothing!!).

If anyone knows then any help and advice would be greatfully accepted.

Cheers, L_V

P

pie sandwich

Or you could try your force development officer, might be worth giving him a quick ring this afternoon

L

Lord_Vetinari

I'm thinking you mean my RCMO, (carreers management officer). Will be speaking to him soon as I'm under the impression that is the only way to proceed with this but just wanted any general info before I burn my bridges, if you like.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
No, I meant your nearest RAF Careers Office. Get the information straight from the horses mouth.

L

Lord_Vetinari

Their attitude is 'go for it', which is good. What I am bothered about is, the upper age limit is 36 but how long realistically will it take me, if successful ie will I be too old??

Also, will they think I am too indocrinated after so long in the Army?? That kind of show stopper.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Their attitude is 'go for it', which is good. What I am bothered about is, the upper age limit is 36 but how long realistically will it take me, if successful ie will I be too old??

Also, will they think I am too indocrinated after so long in the Army?? That kind of show stopper.

The upper age limit is normally the age by which you must have started your training by...not completed it under...and also the age limit in this 'short of good people' times is often purely advisory so stop worrying about the admin and, to steal Tashy Mans catchphrase, 'Crack on'...

Stax

Flight Sergeant
I knew a REME tech at Honington who, as a staffy, took a conmmision in the RAF as an EngO. He was succesful and the fact you are fit etc (not in a gay way obviously) is actually a bonus.

P

pie sandwich

You know what they say "carp I fish'um"

I say go for it, and dont worry about what everyone else say's,
remember we check in not dig in, if they have a pop at you just tell them that.

End of the day they cant fire you or make you pregnant so where's the harm in giving it a go. Best of luck with it, you will have to keep us up to date as to how it goes

box-of-frogs

Corporal
I've known lots of ex-army SNCOs who have come through Cranwell going into a variet of trades - I've seen them as I've worked there as an instructor. On average, we had 1 ex-army SNCO per course and all have done well that i know of. I don't know the protocol for actually transferring but it is often done.

Go for it and good luck!

L

Lord_Vetinari

Many thanks for the encouragement and advice. I do like the 'check in not dig in' line but don't think I should use it as a reason to try for commission :)

Will definatley be giving it a go, as long as I can get past all the Army red tape.

Will keep you updated.

L_V

skevans

Flight Sergeant
What I am bothered about is, the upper age limit is 36 but how long realistically will it take me, if successful ie will I be too old??

You will get a 'midnight transfer' so the age limit will be irrelevant, you are not joining the armed forces from scratch. At the stroke of midnight you will cease being Army and start being RAF, talk about things getting better quickly! I have two midnight transferees as students atm, and they are both above the upper age limit to join the trade from civvy street.

Also, will they think I am too indocrinated after so long in the Army??

Surely the fact that you are even thinking of rearming shows that your not indoctrinated?

Good luck.

L

Lord_Vetinari

Right then, first hurdle. Does anyone from recruiting know the correct paperwork that needs to be submitted to my CO so that he can give permission to the RAF to look at my Annual CR's.

I presume this will also be the paperwork asking the RAF to consider me for commission.

Laughable, but my HR guys don't know what paperwork to use :pDT_Xtremez_30: so hopefully someone here can let me know and I can tell them.

Many thanks, L_v.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
It's probably accessible as a JPA form, however that doesn't mean feck all these days!

I will ask the transferess I have on course in the morning.

L

Lord_Vetinari

Checked JPA but nothing on there, at least nothing that jumps out at me so that doesn't mean anything. After a day of asking about still no nearer really.

As FOMz says speak to your local careers office they will probably have the forms you require anyway and they are the experts.

They do deal with applicants to transfer between the Services all the time as well as guys with former service so they should have all the up todate info (I'm not surprised about your AGC staff not having a clue from what I've met of them (and that's at the JR level) most of them would have difficulty even logging into JPA let alone understanding it).

T

This is Anfield

Have just seen your post but can offer 3 bits of advice/info:

1. Don't worry about being in the Army. We'd much rather commission someone who has relevant service experience than an 'unknown'; you'd fare much better at IOT.

2. Don't worry about ACRs; the RAF will formally request them from the Army. OASC will need to see them in lieu of references.

3. The only thing that sometimes hinders Army/RN guys at the OASC interview is their lack of knowledge about aircraft/RAF Ops/RAF Command structure so you will need to look at the RAF websites and do your homework.

Best of luck with your application