• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Training apps for the Android

Entropy

Sergeant
I have just had a trawl for training apps for my new mobile as I think it may be of help. I've come across the Adidas miCoach app which seems packed full of features and its free. Is anyone using this? Does anyone have any other reccomendations?

N

NotAnIDOYet

I have just had a trawl for training apps for my new mobile as I think it may be of help. I've come across the Adidas miCoach app which seems packed full of features and its free. Is anyone using this? Does anyone have any other reccomendations?

Depending on your phone (does it have an enabled ANT+ chip?), but try CardioTrainer and Endomondo.

Both of these do GPS tracking and allow you to upload your tracks to t'interweb. I use CardioTrainer a lot.

If your phone is ANT+ enabled (new Sony Ericssons are) then you can use a Polar heart rate monitor sensor to get really accurate HR info into your training (HR zones etc) - otherwise your only choice is a Bluetooth HRM, these are about £70 for the sensor and apparently eat batteries.

Hope this helps...

M

monobrow

I use runkeeper. Tracks running and cycling with GPS. Couple of people pop up on facebook with posts from endomodo (sp?). There are loads out there...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

stacker1195

Sergeant
I use imapmyrun+ with my iPhone and I find it very useful. I'm sure there's a version for Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarhead

LAC
Some of the calorie counter Apps are good for weight management and losing weight. I think its called 'my fitness pal' that I use.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
I use HIIT interval trainer on android (if you're into circuits).
You can play your own music over the top of it.......and it's free.

Entropy

Sergeant
I just wanted to give everyone an update. I went for the ,icoach as its free. It doesn't talk to Android phones as it uses ANT+ so it is a little iPhone centric. There are lots of toys to buy if you are of the Apple persuasion.

As it was free I went for it. The training is based on zones i.e how fast you go in an "out of 10" rating system. I quite like it as it gives me someting to work against as I try to run at the top end of a training zone. It uses GPS so you get pace updates. I like this feature as it helps to push me out of my comfort zone and gives me a kick in the butt when I start to dawdle. Plus there are gym plans but I haven't used them yet.

The problems. The GPS pacing system is a bit excentric i.e. being told to slow down one moment then told to speed up 5 secs later. However overall it does the job. It tells you to run at a specific pace and I try to stay at that pace. The other problem is that it doesn't take into account terrain. so I am told to speed up when I am running up hill.

The Pros. Yo can adjust your training zones either manually or a quick incremental view or via another assessment session. I found that my comfortable pace was set a little slow so I incremented it until I was happy. Secondly there are lots of training plans to choose from. I initially set out on a running plan but I felt that it was too slow. Then went for an aussie rules plan as it was mainly interval training which is what I was looking for. Really enjoyed the plan and managed to smash the Fit test which has traditionally been a bit of a problem for me so it's helped tremendously.

Overall I think the app is OK despite its issues and would recommend it to anyone as it can be set up for any level of fitness. Have a look and give it a go as its free so there's nothing to lose.