• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Traction control

Sergeant
Argument at work to day, traction control on or off in snow answers please. I say off.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Leave it on unless you really can't move. If you do turn it off get it back on ASAP.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Why would you turn traction control off when you have less traction because of the snow?

If you have a sh1t system that just feels slipping and backs everything off then you might need to but most systems these days are clever enough to work out that slippery roads still require drive, and the system helps you out.

Are you getting confused with turning ABS off in deep snow?

Dragoon

Sergeant
The few (older) cars I've owned with TC have needed me to switch it off to get moving in the snow. Even the faintest bit of throttle and the wheels would just sit juddering away as the TC didn't know what to do. I'd switch it off to get moving, then back on again once I'm on the move.

Mind you, the only TC a real man needs is his right foot! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Traction control will not prevent your motor from getting stuck in the snow. Traction control does not have the ability to increase traction; it just attempts to prevent a vehicle's wheels from spinning. For drivers who routinely drive in snowy and icy conditions, traction control, antilock brakes, and snow tires are must-have safety features.

So possibly to answer the question on or off.........Well as traction control removes drive to the wheels in deep snow...Off would be the way to go when starting to move. However, it would need to be switched on when you get moving.

Mr SCJ

Last edited:

Craig855s

Sergeant
On, unless it's that hopeless that it's stopping you getting going from a standstill, then try it off after you've given it a fair shot, if you manage to get yourself out of the situation then there you go. If you remain stuck (at a hill say) then it was just a hopeless situation.

And if you want to have some fun in a nice open area...OFF

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Our Grand C-Max is hopeless in the snow with the TC on, but a dream to drive with it off...

Horses for courses I'd say...

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
surely off

surely off

If you are a real man then any chance to go sideways or handbrake slide into that parking space in Tescos should be grabbed.
So too the chance to spray snow over the unsuspecting.

Seriously though if you have 4x4 and a heavy car then leave it on if you can, if you are a T#at in a BMW then best off if you want to move anywhere, although i guess if the wheels at the back are the one driving you then it is best to keep it in the garage and get your walking boots on.

G

grumpyoldb

The original traction control...................

Wife pushing.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
If you are a real man then any chance to go sideways or handbrake slide into that parking space in Tescos should be grabbed.

Seriously though if you have 4x4 and a heavy car then leave it on if you can, if you are a T#at in a BMW then best off if you want to move anywhere, although i guess if the wheels at the back are the one driving you then it is best to keep it in the garage and get your walking boots on.

Ahhh, the memories. Ford Capri, paving stones in the boot and a handbrake, kids today don't know they're born.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant

Was trying to explain this today to a young un.
First rule of snow a 180 must be attempted in the nearest work or supermarket car park.

Best I saw was a tanker getting spun on Blacktop.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
My old 3 series it was traction control off in snow/ice and that was from the owners handbook. If you didn't it didn't really go anywhere and when you turned it off it still didn't go anywhere.... one of the reasons i sold it, living oop in the frozen north it wasn't much use in the winter!
These days my car has no traction control, it does however have winter tyres, 4 wheel drive and a controllable centre differential.

Dragoon

Sergeant
Well TC on or off didn't get my C Class out of the garage earlier. Its not helped by the slight incline coming out of the door but I managed to get out and half way up the incline before I got stuck. It was a mission just to get the thing back in again.

Give me my MX5 any day, that thing didn't know what snow was, just kept on going.

Received wisdom from a far better and more experienced driver than me.

If it won't roll - TCS Off. Back on when you're rolling. If you have switchable ABS (unusual these days) off at the last second to help the front wheels dig into snow. If it's icy then leave it on. Lastly and verbatim "If anybody is so **** thick that they can't balance the **** clutch and throttle and feel for wheelspin they should **** walk."

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant

If it won't roll - TCS Off. Back on when you're rolling. If you have switchable ABS (unusual these days) off at the last second to help the front wheels dig into snow. If it's icy then leave it on. Lastly and verbatim "If anybody is so **** thick that they can't balance the **** clutch and throttle and feel for wheelspin they should **** walk."

Just what he said.

Mr SCJ

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

Or carry a shovel and a bit of grit.