• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour length & moving on

Morning,

For NCO admin types, how long would a standard length tour be?

I ask, as I'm ambling towards my 3 year point in post, which I will reach in a couple of months.

However, 6 months after that point I'll be strolling across my 18 year point.

What is the current process on movement for the posting of us fine admin types? IE is it still the case that those longest in post are moving into those jobs left vacant by the 'normal' circulation of staff?

Any thoughts, advice, or gen' greatly appreciated.

Thank-you kindly.

PS: 1+0=1

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
From your post, I make the assumption that you have done 17 yrs and 2 months and you are due to exit after 22 yrs (ie 4 yrs and 10 months).

My advice would be to wait until your 18 yr point at which point you can apply for your Last Tour.

Information on how to apply is in AP3392 Vol 2 Lft 1508.

If I was your drafter, I would be looking to engage with you in 8 months to see where you want to see out your time.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
From your post, I make the assumption that you have done 17 yrs and 2 months and you are due to exit after 22 yrs (ie 4 yrs and 10 months).

My advice would be to wait until your 18 yr point at which point you can apply for your Last Tour.

If I was your drafter, I would be looking to engage with you in 8 months to see where you want to see out your time.

Good advice Mutty - a few of us where I work are starting to get calls under Project Zeus having dared to stay in post for nearly 5 years! A big No No now! Luckily, we all have just over 4 years left so lots of "Last Tours" going in once we move across to Brize! For some reason that's not being classed as a Posting???? Damn rules and reg's!!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Call it a wild stab in the dark, but if you work on C130s, there isnt really anywhere else they can send you apart from Brize!

Interesting that you say it doesnt count as a posting. Its a different base in a different county. Where does a posting from Lyneham to Brize differ from a posting from, say, Waddington to Brize? (apart from the distance, which is actually irrelevent)

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Call it a wild stab in the dark, but if you work on C130s, there isnt really anywhere else they can send you apart from Brize!

Interesting that you say it doesnt count as a posting. Its a different base in a different county. Where does a posting from Lyneham to Brize differ from a posting from, say, Waddington to Brize? (apart from the distance, which is actually irrelevent)

You tell me - special case as we're all moving! As the "Post" is the same albeit at a different camp it doesn't count as a move! Well, only till the dust settles then Zeus rules apply and off we all go!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
It must be an Annex to the "Chf Clk's Manual"! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Sadly, I prefer to deal in black & white and cannot therefore comment. I'm sure King Guin, Chf Clk or Humble Scribe will be along later to see what Annex XXX to their manual says about "When a posting is not a posting"!

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Sadly, I prefer to deal in black & white and cannot therefore comment. I'm sure King Guin, Chf Clk or Humble Scribe will be along later to see what Annex XXX to their manual says about "When a posting is not a posting"!

At least its freeing up my boss's slot so who knows, pigs might fly and I get promoted into it?

Yeah yeah - dream on!

KingGuin

Sergeant

Nope got me on that one! Lets see what I can find out.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
There used to be something in ASPSI's that said if a post was transferred, the posting clock did not restart. Been a good while since I was in that environment so things have undoubtedly changed. KG is on the case so an answer will be forthcoming.

Revised Career Frameworks, which outline things like minimum/maximum tour lengths are in AP3376.

Last edited:
M

MyShineyAr$e

Nfu Personnel moving from lynham to brize are having the option to reset their date or leave as is. That's certainly the case on my desk, under instruction from the proj future brize Sqn ldr.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Nfu Personnel moving from lynham to brize are having the option to reset their date or leave as is. That's certainly the case on my desk, under instruction from the proj future brize Sqn ldr.

We were given that choice and it has been ignored - had the "official" word from Manning and each Desk involved with our move is doing their own thing!

The FS is being reviewed after 4 months, mine is 1 year and the AV boys getting 3 years each? Go figure! All been in post around the same time (and all in the Zeus move on time frame).

C

CC

LOL, sorry fella, as far as I'm concerned, anything to do with 'postings' is Manning Black Magic stuff. I think they basically make it up as they go along, and not forgetting their get out of jail free card, SERVICE NEED :pDT_Xtremez_30:

muttywhitedog,

Thank-you kindly for your words.

The last tour application was already plotted and remarkably, as an ex-stats type, I had found and deciphered the AP.

Now, if I may delve further into the collective (and yours) knowledge...

May will have had me spending 3 glorious years in my current post.

This post, which may in say a year or 2 (unless cuts bite harder, in which case a sooner move may happen) move to place further North and probably be civilianised, or passed to our 'partner.' In fact my exit date, could sync with the posts lifespan.

In your opinion, would I be able to stay in my current post and last tour? Where would I stand if last touring and an establishment move happens?

I’m 2 hours from my chosen place of retirement and although there is a base in a county dear to my heart an hour the other side of my castle, I’m actually enjoying my current post and the workload keeps refreshing itself.

As always, any thoughts, banter or advice greatly appreciated.

Thank-You

H

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I would imagine if you are on a LTD at a unit, then manning would have a hard job to justify moving you rather than another individual of the same rank if your current post is disestablished.

The rationale behind that is you are on a LTD and as such are a higher priority for retention than someone at the unit who has 10+ years to go and is on a routine posting to that area.

I'm just about to move to a unit which I fully intend to be my last, and it would take a nuclear-size bomb to shift me from there (or 9 months redundancy pay)!!!