• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tier 1 medical discharge

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Tier 1 medical discharge

Does this mean anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
Does this mean anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. A Tier 1 discharge means that there is no invaliding pension. The pension is deferred until either age 65 (for AFPS 05 benefits) or State Pension Age (for AFPS 15 benefits). Tier 2 or 3 conditions do get an ill-health pension straight away from AFPS 05/15.

Many, many Servicemen and women are discharged with Tier 1 conditions and the post simply makes the point that, if the person being discharged with a Tier 1 condition has reached his or her EDP Point, they will get those benefits paid straight away instead of the much smaller Tier 1 lump sum.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Cheers for the info, so they get no compensation then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
Cheers for the info, so they get no compensation then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There might be something from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme if the condition is due to service but, again, if it is a condition which would be put into Tier 1, it will be just a lump sum. No ongoing income.

dessp2

SAC
Vauxhall

Vauxhall

If someone is booted out on Tier 1 Med discharge. Is the IP a tax liable income? It is because I have heard that some folk who are med discharged do not pay tax on their med pension. Thanks.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
If someone is booted out on Tier 1 Med discharge. Is the IP a tax liable income? It is because I have heard that some folk who are med discharged do not pay tax on their med pension. Thanks.

If you are leaving with a combination of AFPS 75 and AFPS 15 Tier 1 benefits you should get:

An AFPS 75 pension straight away, together with a lump sum of three times the pension. The pension will be based on the proportion of your total service that was as an AFPS 75 member. The pension is index linked from the off but it is only tax free if your discharge is attributable. Non-attrib invaliding pension are index linked but taxable.

From AFpS 15 you will get a deferred pension, payable at your state pension age Plus either a proportion of the Tier 1 lump sum unless you have reached the EDP Point, in which case you will receive that instead.

dessp2

SAC
If you are leaving with a combination of AFPS 75 and AFPS 15 Tier 1 benefits you should get:

An AFPS 75 pension straight away, together with a lump sum of three times the pension. The pension will be based on the proportion of your total service that was as an AFPS 75 member. The pension is index linked from the off but it is only tax free if your discharge is attributable. Non-attrib invaliding pension are index linked but taxable.

From AFpS 15 you will get a deferred pension, payable at your state pension age Plus either a proportion of the Tier 1 lump sum unless you have reached the EDP Point, in which case you will receive that instead.

Roger that. Many thanks.