• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thoughts on preparing for post-forces job seeking from a hiring managers perspective

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
A few thoughts from a hiring manager’s perspective:

The civvy word is not a place to be scared of – it actually has more opportunity than the RAF seems to have these days – that said, the rules of the game are different. Such as some behaviors that might be acceptable in a crew room are probably not going to be acceptable in the civvy workplace (This is covered in multiple other posts though).

The civvy world is not structured like the RAF – you may well not be doing the same line of work. I would guess the bulk of ex-RAF types on here are now doing something completely different. Find what you want to do and prepare for it.

Being ex-forces actually has many benefits, use them to your advantage! It also can have some drawbacks, and recruiters often know the pitfalls to look for. That is to say, the can-do attitude, non-union mindset, will to things done are positives that can be taken forward. That said, some people cannot let go of the forces and that can actually hold you back at some companies – I look for people who really enjoyed their time in the service, kept the positive behaviors – but realize it is now over and fully embrace the new reality of civvy life rather (rather than be a total ‘when I’ and get all whiney about the lack of respect they get shown)

Over the last year I have had to rebuild a number of teams that report into me, and recruited at all levels from entry to senior manager (30K to 120K), for jobs at the 30 – 50K level competition is tight, very tight in fact. We generally has over 60 CV sent in, and after first round screening – about 30 were sent to me as viable. Point being a good CV is vital these days, without it you won’t get an interview (remember, the CV does not get you a job, it gets a hiring manager to talk to you about a job – but if your CV doesn’t make them want to talk to you , you are not going to even get the chance to show how good you are: These links are actually quite helpful:

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...mpaign=careers

Trust me on this me, I reviewed all 30 resumes, and selected 5 candidates in less than 25 minutes – most of them I didn’t read past the first page. The links to what not to include in a c.v. on the page above are worth a read as well.

For jobs in the 70-100K range, the competition is tougher, I would get about 10 CV’s - all very well written!

Get yourself on LinkedIn – but remember it is a professional networking site, not a social one!. Make sure the highlights of your CV are there, and the match what you sent in!. Don’t write smack about former companies or their staff. Don’t boast about drunken antics!. Also, don’t forget to look up the person who will be interviewing you – if there is a common interest, use it as small talk (no more than 2 mins) at the start of the interview – or at the end.

Take a look at www. glassdoor.com – it will give you opinions on a company (forget best and worst comments, just like you would on a hotel site), but it has insights on what different jobs pay, as well as the interview process. Going in knowing what to expect does help!.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgebr...iew-questions/

The above article tells you all you need to know about an interview! – there are only 3 actual questions anyone hiring cares about, but multiple ways to ask them. The ones who is the best fit for those 3 will usually get the job. (They are really obvious, I know that, but knowing it can help shape answers.)

For those pinning their hopes on getting an extension of service – although ask yourself this : will that extension just be delaying the inevitable? At some point you need to come to peace with the fact that, for all us, our time in the forces comes to an and. Post service life something to embraced, and the better prepared you are, the easier is becomes.

Last edited:

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Over the last year I have had to rebuild a number of teams that report into me, and recruited at all levels from entry to senior manager (30K to 120K), for jobs at the 30 – 50K level competition is tight, very tight in fact. We generally has over 60 CV sent in, and after first round screening – about 30 were sent to me as viable. Point being a good CV is vital these days, without it you won’t get an interview (remember, the CV does not get you a job, it gets a hiring manager to talk to you about a job – but if your CV doesn’t make them want to talk to you , you are not going to even get the chance to show how good you are: These links are actually quite helpful:

It is surprising how many rubbish CVs you receive.

The number of CVs that I have been shown by my boss that have spelling/grammatical mistakes, or just do not make any sense.
We had one sent to us via e-mail that had been formatted in A3, and the email contained all the mark-up from when the applicant edited the CV, in red. We were more interested in what the applicant had deleted rather than what he had to say! If you can, email the Cv to yourself and open it from the email so that you can see exactly what it will look like. If you can, get somebody who is used to reading CVs to have a look at yours for you, they will likely take great pleasure in ripping it to pieces, this can help you to fine-tune it.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have several IBM contractors who are quite high up in their food chain...Their CV's are 'awesome'.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
It is surprising how many rubbish CVs you receive.

The number of CVs that I have been shown by my boss that have spelling/grammatical mistakes, or just do not make any sense.
We had one sent to us via e-mail that had been formatted in A3, and the email contained all the mark-up from when the applicant edited the CV, in red. We were more interested in what the applicant had deleted rather than what he had to say! If you can, email the Cv to yourself and open it from the email so that you can see exactly what it will look like. If you can, get somebody who is used to reading CVs to have a look at yours for you, they will likely take great pleasure in ripping it to pieces, this can help you to fine-tune it.

Yup, we get some real shockers sent in. About 50% of CV's that get sent in never even get as far as being read by the hiring manager (HR screen out the really bad ones) - and some of ones that reach me are a really poor standard.

A person may be best candidate for a role, but if their CV is so poor that HR screen them out, or a hiring manager doesn't select them for interview - they aren't going to get the job.

As Vim points out, some companies invest a considerable amount of time and effort in making sure the CV's of their staff are 'awesome' - I've run projects where we get IBM and a couple of the "big 4" bidding on the work - as part of it they will send in the CV's of the people hey propose to place on the project , to show the expertise they can bring - and the cv's are invariably superbly written.

Ming Mong's advice to have someone you trust read over the CV and objectively critique it (rip it apart) to fine tune it is a really good idea.

Of course, as with all my advice the only thing of any real value I can give would be 'wear sunscreen' - The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

(FWIW, the rest of the Baz Lehrman's wear sunscreen advice - containing some real pearls of wisdom ,which you finally understand in your 40's, is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwVVpwBKUp0

Last edited:

Old Timer Chris

Corporal
This is really helpful advice!

This is really helpful advice!

And this coming from someone who has move on 6 times during an industrial career spanning 23 years and I didn't use the same CV more than once! Investigate the company and try and tailor your CV to the companies requirements.