• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

thoughts on Marmaris

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just booked a last minute holiday to marmaris. Going on Monday.

Any thoughts. People I've spoken either love it or hate it, there seems to be no idle ground.

Is it cheap or expensive. Price of a beer. Any good bars.

Tell me what you think you've been.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Stayed in a hotel (Marmaris Palace) around 4 years ago and hated it. Our gaff was right between Ichmeler and Marmaris....there is a coastal path that links the two and is very flat so worth a walk along. The scenery around the area is mountainous and very scenic/dramatic. Marmaris is very much your full English breakfast and sunburnt brits in UJ shorts at the height of summer...Ichmeler was a little better and dare I say 'classier'. One day a week there is a big tat market in Marmaris where you can buy all your fake crap although lots of the shops sell it anyway 7 days a week (the fake Beatspill's can be very good at around a tenner).

The exchange rate as of yesterday was creeping up to 4.5 TL to £1. Average price for an Efess (Stella strength local beer and very drinkable) is around 12TL although with happy hours everywhere you can probably find it at 9-10TL some of the time. Cocktails will be 14-18TL in happy hours and around 20-25TL at all other times. Average price for a filet steak will be around 40-45 TL and they tend to be top notch although if you have the means to BBQ for yourself you can pick up steak in the local butchers for £2.50 a pop. If you smoke I think (I don't but still notice such things) it was around £1.50 a pack. If you book any trips like mud baths/jeep safaris et al ask if there are any shopping excursions on the itinery...they are sods for dragging you through carpet and jackets shops when you should be having fun!

Marmaris if you fly into Dalyman is a fecker of a transfer...can be around 5 hours if you are the last hotel they drop of at.

For future purposes I recommend the Oledeniz-Fettiye area...only 50 mins from Dalyman and just a whole lot more friendly/Turkish and relaxed...

Hope this helps.

Transfers are not too bad from dalaman to marmaris now, went to icmelar did several drops in marmaris and arrived in icmelar just on an hour and a half from departing dalaman with a 15 minute comfort stop on route.

went in June going back to icmelar again in October, resorts quite quiet this year, maybe over the Tunisia shootings, however it's a long 14 hour drive to the southern border and a lot of security in between.

turkey has spent with a lot on its infrastructure and has some good highways now, far better than when I was based at incirlik some years ago.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Transfers are not too bad from dalaman to marmaris now, went to icmelar did several drops in marmaris and arrived in icmelar just on an hour and a half from departing dalaman with a 15 minute comfort stop on route.

went in June going back to icmelar again in October, resorts quite quiet this year, maybe over the Tunisia shootings, however it's a long 14 hour drive to the southern border and a lot of security in between.

turkey has spent with a lot on its infrastructure and has some good highways now, far better than when I was based at incirlik some years ago.

Traders in fettiye and oledeniz all stating it has been noticeably quieter this year and all blame it on IS. Also they were telling me that last couple of years they had lots of Russians coming...this year virtually none.