• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thinking of Joining RAF Regiment

Hey All

I’m a newbie considering joining the RAF Regiment. I live in London and have a home here and I’m getting on a bit (I’m 37). I’m currently a reservist with 4 Para (army reserve). I have heard good things about the RAF Regiment, and I am interested in the airborne side of the regiment in 2sqn and it’s links with the SFSG. I would want to sign up as an officer and will attend one of the open days when they are back up and running but really I was just looking for some initial advice/information.

1. IfI signed up as an officer and passed all of the physical and cognitive tests, would I get any say in what squadron I wanted to be part of? Do you get posted to a sqdn after IOT or is it after JROC?

2. How long before completing IOT or JROC would it be before you could attempt the Pre Para Selection course and is there any age restrictions on doing Pre Para? Would I need to do pre Para if I have done PCOY with 4 Para Reserves?

3. Do you have to be in a sqdn for 2 years before attempting SFSG? If so l, when does that 2 yeAr period run from?

4. Would an old fart like me be allowed to go for SFSG if I was physically up to the challenge?

5. During times when I was not abroad or away on operations (I.e on base at Brize Norton or Honington) how much time would I realistically get off to visit friends and family in London? Would it be Most weekends when not on tour or less? Or more?

I know it’s quite a lot of questions but I really like the idea of joining the reg and trying to get as much info as I can until I can get an open day arranged.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Most is way over my head but as to Q5 - Its the RAF mate - working weekends???????

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Generally in the RAF you get asked where you would like to go and they'll look at it however, they have known shortages and they will always look to make sure enough bums are on seats to ensure we are operationally viable.

In terms of times off its a moveable feast. You might draw duties that have you working weekends but having days in the week off, you might be deployed and working all hours God sends (or so it seems) and some times you find yourself at a loose end and being encouraged to find courses or AT to keep yourself busy. When you peel it back you'll get your leave allowance and a decent amount of other time off on the whole and when you are free you are most often uninhibited as to where you can spend it.

Thanks for the quick replies. Maybe I am better sticking with the reserves and looking for an FTRS to get my kicks then. I think I have to sign up for 12 years and signing up blindly and not knowing where I might be located or what sort of role I might get seems a bit more daunting than I first envisaged. I accept that SFSG is more of a long shot and I’m comfortable with not ever getting to try for that but I thought I might get a bit more say on what part of RAF Reg you might get to join as they all seem to be quite different and some seem more appealing than others and being part of 4 Para meant that I naturally was attracted to the airborne side of the RAF Reg. I’ll ponder it some more and attend an open day and take it from there. Thanks for the replies.

Don't forget your first posting is just that, your first posting. You get somewhere that you don't like, there is nothing that says you have to stay there your whole career. Also, when you get somewhere, you may find you like the place. Can't say I didn't have a posting I didn't want in my time in, but most of the time you settle in and enjoy it.

Don't forget your first posting is just that, your first posting. You get somewhere that you don't like, there is nothing that says you have to stay there your whole career. Also, when you get somewhere, you may find you like the place. Can't say I didn't have a posting I didn't want in my time in, but most of the time you settle in and enjoy it.

thanks for this. It’s good to know the option is there and I’ll consider everything over time and see what happens