• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thinking of a Classic Rangy

Entropy

Sergeant
Does any goater drive a classic Rangy? Started to think about getting one a wondered what they were like to own. I was thinking of an 80's or 90's diesel.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
1st thing that strikes me is 'do you have shares in Shell'?

Not known for doing much better than 20mpg?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The 2.5 BMW Diesel is a decent motor but needs 'proper' regular servicing.

The 4.0, 4,2 & 4,6 V8s all have a known problem with cracking in the block casting behind the cylinder liners. This problem can be overcome by modding the block with 'Top Hat Liners' ------> HERE <------

photo%20e1dsmall.jpg

Entropy

Sergeant
Thanks, from what I have read the diesel on a classic seems to have an mpg in the 30's which is what I'm getting from my Mazda so I can live with that

I thought the classic used either the VM engine then the 200TDI. I thought that the BMW engine only went in the P38, please correct me though as an gen would be useful.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The 200 TDi was fitted to the Discovery and Defender series.

Stay clear of the VM powered vehicles, the engines are good in theory but crap in reality.

In all my years at an engine reconditioners I never saw a VM from a Range Rover but saw plenty from Discos, Alfas and Vauxhalls.

For those that don't know the VM engines have a separate cylinder head for each cylinder, each head will fit on any cylinder. The main problem with the setup is the heads are not directly bolted to the block but are clamped down with adjacent heads sharing clamps.

VM_D_zpsybejvrzg.jpg

Once a clamp is released to remove a head; the gasket on the adjacent head needs replacing therefore the adjacent head needs to be removed and so on until all heads are removed. Gaskets can be individual for each head or as is more common nowadays, a single full length gasket is used.The cylinder heads are liable to cracking.

To get correct clamping torque each head must be the same thickness, if you replace one head this can be a problem due to manufacturing tolerances. All the heads new or original or a mix of both will need skimming to ensure the clamping torque applies equal pressure to the head gasket at each cylinder head.

Basically stay clear of these engines. !!

fourteen2two

Corporal
I had an 89 RR 3.5efi,auto- great car if somewhat thirsty.
Comfortable and awesome off road
. It was standard apart from chunky tyres, removed front spoiler and fitted sump and steering guards.

Look very carefully for rust, chassis is like Forth rail bridge, but inner sills and wings do rust. Tail gates known for rot too.
I learned to weld and put the skills to use!
Electrics fun,relays etc all over the place as it evolved from basic to luxury vehicle, things like rear wiper and window motors can play up made by Lucas 'The Prince of Darkness'!
Parts easy enough to come by, Craddocks, Paddock Spares Rimmer etc all good.
V8 makes a lovely noise!
There are lots of Landie forums with good info.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Later model classics had the tdi engine, as fiited to the Discovery, these seem to fetch good money.
The bmw lump was fitted to the P38 models, which are much more complex, but can be picked up quite cheaply.
They have air suspension, aircon and electric everything!
These can cost big time if they go wrong as everything is controlled by computers!
Apparantly you can buy diagnostic kit for them.
I would love a recent model TDV8, but potential bills are scary!
There are good independent garages around, main dealers very expensive.