• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thinking about applying for DE Controller.

M

Mooster27

Sorry to bring up DE Controllers again but I was wondering if it is feasible to even consider applying with two (young) kids in tow. I'm not a single parent and have a lot of family support but have no idea if I could even apply. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
There's nothing to stop blokes with families applying for any job in the RAF as long as you are within the current limits for each trade (age, quals, nationality, residency, etc) and can prove that they aren't a potential administrative burden (ie not likely to fall behind with the mortgage, no issues that may cause you to disrupt training, missus isn't a nutter, you know the score). Take a mosey down to your local AFCO where the guys will answer any questions you may have. During your period in training, you won't be entitled to families accommodation so you'll only see them at weekends, leave, etc, and you'll have to make provisisions for their accommodation and welfare during that period, but when you are released into the wild, you can have them with you.

Whether it's feasible or not to join, well only you can make that call. Will being a member of the RAF, or any other branch of the forces for that matter, be the best option for your family? Whilst it's good money, subsidised housing, opportunities for travel, etc, will your family cope with you being away every couple of years for 4-6 months at a time on operations? Will your wife be able to find work? - a lot of RAF stations, especially the flying units are in the sticks where work, or certainly work capable of becoming a career for her, isn't always readily available. Will it be a major drama for your kids to move schools every few years? Will you be able to cope financially during your initial training when money isn't brilliant? The good points outweigh the bad (in my opinion anyway) but there's also a bigger picture to look at. Thousands of other people have been faced with the same choices to make as you for years and have gone on to lead successful careers in the RAF in secure family units. Only you can make that decision. As I said, talk to your local AFCO. People in there will be able to provide you in-depth detail on what life is like in the RAF and what your family can expect.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:
M

Mooster27

Hey thanks very much for your reply, I realise I should have elaborated more. I did originally post this on the Air Traffic board but it got moved here.
I've been an FOA for 9 years and see the DE Controller as an advancement in my trade. I don't have any intention of leaving the RAF anytime soon as believe it is ultimately a good life (I'm a scaley brat too so know what it can be like for kids). I realise that I would have to leave them to go back to Shawbury but to me it would be like a detachment and I expect to be out on one of them in a couple of years again at the most anyway. Plus other half is in too so that's where I think there may be issues. I have not heard of anyone in this situation so come here for gen :)

K

Krusty_Crab

Hey thanks very much for your reply, I realise I should have elaborated more. I did originally post this on the Air Traffic board but it got moved here.
I've been an FOA for 9 years and see the DE Controller as an advancement in my trade. I don't have any intention of leaving the RAF anytime soon as believe it is ultimately a good life (I'm a scaley brat too so know what it can be like for kids). I realise that I would have to leave them to go back to Shawbury but to me it would be like a detachment and I expect to be out on one of them in a couple of years again at the most anyway. Plus other half is in too so that's where I think there may be issues. I have not heard of anyone in this situation so come here for gen :)

Have you tried talking to your SNCO and Flt Cdr?? Part of their job is to advise, support and develop their staff.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Your first port of call should be your FOM or PFOM to discuss this. I would also arrange to spend some time in the tower (if you're not already employed there). You need to think long and hard about applying for DE ATC. Your first hurdle is OASC, then phase 1 of NCAITC. If you pass that, its onto JATCC. Thats a year of hard slog and being totally focused. Have you got adequate child care arranged for this period of time?

M

Mooster27

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately talking to FOMs or PFOM is not an option for me, I won't bore you with the details but this is why I ask here. I will be able to arrange more than adequate childcare if I was going to apply this. Does anyone know anyone who has children and has gone onto apply or complete the process either on the previous Fast track system or current DE Controller system as all the people I know who have been selected for JATCC are young male singlies with no ties.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately talking to FOMs or PFOM is not an option for me, I won't bore you with the details but this is why I ask here. I will be able to arrange more than adequate childcare if I was going to apply this. Does anyone know anyone who has children and has gone onto apply or complete the process either on the previous Fast track system or current DE Controller system as all the people I know who have been selected for JATCC are young male singlies with no ties.

I can't speak for the Phase1 Cranwell stage but I have done JATCC and have kids myself.
In fact, fully half my course were ladies and gents with families, with one even having a MQ at Shawbury.
If you can balance the work requirement with your family, then you should have no problems.
It is an intensive course, and will put some pressure on you, and inevitably your family, but if you really want it, you can do it.

I am surprised that you have been in the job for 9 years and have no clue about this TBH.