• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The V Force

F

Fablon biff chit

Can anyone recommend a book on the V Force?

I'm talking about the part of the RAF that was Vulcans, Valiants and Victors during the cold war. 56000 people on the V Force alone, must have been impressive. Can you imagine going to work not knowing if today was the last day you had? That you would knowingly take off to the USSR with a 1 or 2% chance of survical, drop the bomb and try and land in Turkey or somewhere- because the base you left a few hours ago was at the bottom of a radioactive crater?

All this in living memory, deserves not to be forgotten!

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
I'm talking about the part of the RAF that was Vulcans, Valiants and Victors during the cold war. 56000 people on the V Force alone, must have been impressive.
All this in living memory, deserves not to be forgotten!

As a rigger serving as a member of the Vulcan groundcrew from 1969-82, I have many experiences and stories to relate but I will save them for the appropriate Goat thread.

The book that I recommend that could answer all your queries is “V-BOMBERS Valiant, Vulcan and Victor” by Barry Jones (Crowood Aviation series). The ISBN is 1 86126 385 6 and if you go on the net Trelawne Books, Bury St Edmunds are selling it in hardback for about £13 including P&P.

In gives a large amount of data about all 3 aircraft from their design to retirement and includes such things as their war roles and Operation Black Buck. There are lots of pictures including the Short Sperrin which was Britain’s first 4 engined jet Bomber and was the interim aircraft to the V-Force (not a lot of people know that). Enjoy.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
As a rigger serving as a member of the Vulcan groundcrew from 1969-82, I have many experiences and stories to relate but I will save them for the appropriate Goat thread.

Just start an appropriate thread mate, We need more threads like that rather than the ' what pants did you wear on your first date' type thread that clutter the place up

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Not read it yet, but my Dad wanted 'Vulcan 607' for Christmas, which reads like a novel but is the true story of the OP BLACK BUCK missions to bomb Port Stanley.

All the reviews read like it's a thumping good read. So when my Dad's finished it, I might have to borrow it...

G

gemarriott

Just start an appropriate thread mate, We need more threads like that rather than the ' what pants did you wear on your first date' type thread that clutter the place up

I'll second that emotion cur for a naff "favourite song thread"

There is a militrary history forum on here somewhere dust it off and use it and don't forget us Phantom, Buccaneer and Jag boys hung our fair share of nukes on too, it wasn't just the pretty "V" bomber brigade.

O

Oh sir

Ahem......

Not forgetting us youngsters Gem. Plenty hung nukes on the GR1, and plenty of us spent months and years of our lives doing the exciting work of guarding said nukes!

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant

Can't remember what I wore when I met Mrs TLS but I'm wearing grey M&S briefs today. Can on of the Mods start a poll on briefs v boxers please?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Back in the general area of the topic: We had the last (I think) Vulcan do our flypast at Swinders in 1990. I fell in love with it that day (and went partially deaf for a few days!). I'll never forget the noise while we all stood at Present Arms and the families in the stands actually hit the deck!! I realised why they ducked when we got the video.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Rumour has it that the pilot got a lot of stick for that as he was so low that he had to climb to clear the old drill hangar before dropping down again to fly the line.:raf:

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
listen in yous lot, yous are al old diosaws and yous are taking about plaines thems used in the word war won, when we fight the argentina in spain. yos shuld get with them times.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Can't remember what I wore when I met Mrs TLS but I'm wearing grey M&S briefs today. Can on of the Mods start a poll on briefs v boxers please?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Back in the general area of the topic: We had the last (I think) Vulcan do our flypast at Swinders in 1990. I fell in love with it that day (and went partially deaf for a few days!). I'll never forget the noise while we all stood at Present Arms and the families in the stands actually hit the deck!! I realised why they ducked when we got the video.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Rumour has it that the pilot got a lot of stick for that as he was so low that he had to climb to clear the old drill hangar before dropping down again to fly the line.:raf:

slightly off topic, but there is the story of the Phantom that blew all the hats off the graduating sqn on the Cranwell passing out parade. I believe legend has it that he had his burners on at the time!

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
listen in yous lot, yous are al old diosaws and yous are taking about plaines thems used in the word war won, when we fight the argentina in spain. yos shuld get with them times.

Thank you for your unique insight of 20th century history Kevin, you mong.

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
listen in yous beefburgwer blok. mines histoy is ace becos i no loads i no all thems capitals, and i been to birmingun ones as well. if yous make me ooot to be thik agin i going to snap yous spine

FOMz

Warrant Officer
FBC - Have you ever thought of going here?

Bruntingthorpe Cold War Jets Collection

The link is a good place to start looking, especially if you like the Vulcans and Lightnings.

I plan on going in the summer, maybe if the little cockmonkey Kevin went HE might actually learn something..............then again maybe not.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
V Force Video/DVD

V Force Video/DVD

FBC - Not books but video/DVD. Try DD video of 5 Churchill Court, 58 Station Road, North Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 7SA. Their video code number DD2375 is titled "Britains nuclear bombers the V- Force" covers all three V-Bombers running time 64 mins also try DD5171 "Cold War Jets of the RAF" again covers all three V-Bombers and other stuff like Lightenings etc. running time 81 mins. Both are amix of B/W and colour. Hope this helps.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber

In addition to my earlier reply, if you want to really know what it was like to work on the Mighty Vulcan, can I recommend “The FOB’S KID Syndrome” by Ex-Vulcan Crew Chief Barry Goodwin. Sadly, Barry is no longer with us having past on to that great Vulcan crew room in the sky, but he has written a very good true story of life with the Vulcan. Barry was a Crew Chief at Waddington when I first joined up and I can vouch for the authenticity of his stories, especially the one about the Super Tech who blew the roofs of the Line buildings during a ground run – I know I was there when it happened! The ISBN is 1 84037 266 4 and it is produced by Airlife Publishing Ltd in Shrewsbury.

Further to Tinbashers entry about the video’s (he’s not sad it’s me – they are my video’s) there is also the video “The Vulcan Story” Cat No. DD 658 (same address).

On second thoughts I’m not sad - I was proud to serve on the Vulcan and as suggested I will start a thread.

Major Geek

Sergeant
Not read it yet, but my Dad wanted 'Vulcan 607' for Christmas...quote]

A bloody good read, real air force stuff!!!

We were also lucky to have a Vulcan for our pass out parade at Swinderby back in 85. We could see it coming for miles, the crowd didn't know anyhting about it until it stood on its tail directly above them!!

F

Fablon biff chit

The only real V Bomber was of course the mighty Vulcan - another good source of info is "The Vulcan Story 1952 - 2002" by Tim Laming ISBN 1-85605-701-1

There is also an interesting and long running Vulcal Thread here

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111797

Hu (Ex Vulcan Linie)

Got to page 5, they really were different times!!

Wikipedia said:
Testing the brakes of the Vulcan included strapping the company photographer Paul Culerne to the front landing gear with the aircraft moving at full landing speed and photographing the brakes in operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XH558

Health and Safety :)

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Cold War Exhibit

Cold War Exhibit

Maybe of interest. The new cold war hangar at the RAF Cosford museum opens on 8th Feb to the general public should be a good source of gen on your topic FBC. Give it go exhibit will contain examples of the V force, a piece of the Berlin wall, other cold war 50/60's memorabilia and strangely a life size statue of Lenin.