• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Rockport Walk fitness test

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Just passed my rockport walk - it would seem the formula above is good - my recorded VO2 max is 46.6 on the PTIs spreadsheet - figues of weight 71, age 31, male, time 12.14 and HR of 172.

Although your heart rate is very high your low weight counteracts it.
If you were stocky you'd have failed!
Nice one!!!

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
mockery

mockery

Just passed my rockport walk - it would seem the formula above is good - my recorded VO2 max is 46.6 on the PTIs spreadsheet - figues of weight 71, age 31, male, time 12.14 and HR of 172.

Does make the test a bit of a joke?
172 HR for a 31 yr old seems very high for walking? Especially only 11 st.
Can I ask what height you are? That seems to be one stat they don't take into account. I would think a lanky streak of stuff would get a better time than a dumpy techie?

N

NotAnIDOYet

Does make the test a bit of a joke?
172 HR for a 31 yr old seems very high for walking? Especially only 11 st.
Can I ask what height you are? That seems to be one stat they don't take into account. I would think a lanky streak of stuff would get a better time than a dumpy techie?

I would agree on the HR, i am a large chap yet even flat out on the bike my heart rate rarely goes over 150.

Mug? - I'm 5'10" - so not exactly the dumpy techie type.

If you think it's "just walking" my time works out just under 8 Km/h - try that on a treadmill without bursting into a jog. It's designed to get your heart rate up. You could walk it at normal pace and take 20 minutes but the allowed heart rate drops so much you'll need to be almost dead! (Average walking pace 3mph - allowed HR about 10bpm?)

I didn't want to turn this into a flaming - just wanted to confirm that the formula posted works, so perhaps this will dispel a few myths that seem to be surrounding this test.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
not a pop

not a pop

Mug? - I'm 5'10" - so not exactly the dumpy techie type.

If you think it's "just walking" my time works out just under 8 Km/h - try that on a treadmill without bursting into a jog

I didn't want to turn this into a flaming - just wanted to confirm that the formula posted works, so perhaps this will dispel a few myths that seem to be surrounding this test.

Wasn't having a go. A pass is a pass and the test is not easy.
The formula does work and the spreadsheet is available on the P'ed flt intranet site so you can plug in various figures to see what you need to get dependent on your weight.

I have had a go and struggle because I am a dumpy tech I suppose. Cannot get past 7Km/h on a treadmill, legs just too short. So I need to rely on keeping heart rate down (not easy dragging all my muscle around - especially under all my fat! lol) or lose 20kg!!

My gripe is the two formulas why a separate one for the under 40's when the age is part of the formula.

Strange results

Strange results

I took the test a couple of weeks ago. There seems to be a high failure rate and I was one of them. Fair enough, I failed to achieve the required VO level and something must be done to achieve it. However, I have heard that the medical side of the firm has not signed off on this and the mirror techs at command level just adopted it. I am the wrong side of 45, carrying a bit extra and perm downgrade with unfit running (Osteo artritis in the knees). The walk was done in under 13.5 mins and I could have easily carried on; not out of breath, limping (that took a few hours for the pain to kick in) or even breaking into much of a sweat. Score of 36.4. Blitzed pushups and sit ups. My point is this; a non impact test has been replaced with another impact test, albeit without the need to turn at the end of a shuttle. No account is taken of the starting heart rate (mine went up by just 44) or injury. Personally I think this is a test designed for failure. Especially as the 38 required is the top end of one websites bracket of 34 - 38 as fair. IE pass.

Wrong Info

Wrong Info

I did a practice test last week, however, 4 week previous I spoke to a PTI to ask what it was all about. Told to do a mile at a steady pace, so I used the running track on camp and went around 4 times walking at a steady pace of 3.30 for each 400m lap.

When I did the Rockport walk I did the same pace, completed it in 15 mins and failed the test! Then I was informed by another PTI that for my age, weight, HR of 133 had I completed it in 14 mins then I would have passed. That is 15 secs a lap quicker, which I would have easiliy managed had I known from the start!

Lucky for me that I am still in date for the RAFFT for another 4 weeks.

My advice, check with the PTI's, and ask them to set up a couple of practice tests using the heart monitor well before you are due so you don't get caught out and end up failing.

A better test of your real fitness imo, as most of us can grit our teeth and manage the RAFFT every 6 months which is only an indication on that day of your fitness level. I did exactly that 5 months ago, with my current injury, ran thro the pain barrier just to pass and stay current. End result was that I put myself 3 months backwards on the road to recovery.

PS: The PTI's have been superb in assisting my rehab from injury and I am fitter now that I have been for years.

I did the Rockport Walk last week and passed! Did it in 13.20.

The 2 weeks of training on the treadmill did the trick & produced the results.

Did light blue in press-ups & sit-ups but the walk was only in the green.
Anyhow, RAFFT current for another 6 months.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
No it won't be - any reason why it should be?

Yes, because if it was free your plug for here it here would stay. Because you are charging for it and have created an account and made a post here purely to advertise it, it goes in the category of spam, so it gets removed!

A

ajr

Yes, because if it was free your plug for here it here would stay. Because you are charging for it and have created an account and made a post here purely to advertise it, it goes in the category of spam, so it gets removed!
Wrong - created the post to ask what the RAF pass marks are etc - the shameless plug was extra lol. Never mid - will check on the Defence Intranet on Monday :)

I'm pleased to say I passed my Rockport Walk test this week - 13m 40s for a 45 year-old male, average Heart Rate 160.

it's only the 2nd time I've taken this test, but I was more worried about this element than the press-ups etc !

I used the website http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Rockport.html to try and work out what timings I would need, but does anyone have the official PeD one?

I am pleased to report that this 50 year old passed the Rockport Walk test today.
Time 12.20 Ave Heart Rate 166 VO2 = 38.64. Wt = 88 kg.
Banged out 30 Press-ups & 26 Sit-ups.
That's the RAFFT current for another 6 months!

Last edited:

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
blown away?

blown away?

I'm pleased to say I passed my Rockport Walk test this week - 13m 40s for a 45 year-old male, average Heart Rate 160.

it's only the 2nd time I've taken this test, but I was more worried about this element than the press-ups etc !

I used the website http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Rockport.html to try and work out what timings I would need, but does anyone have the official PeD one?

Well done but I have to ask how heavy are you? that time and HR would put you about 5 stone? Unless my figures are wrong, which they may well be?

N

NotAnIDOYet

Did it last week and nearly failed - 11' 20" and mhr of 157. Now I know I'm a fat biffa but some of you lighter chaps are posting longer times/higher mhr and passing well. Not sure the formula being used is entirely accurate.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Me too

Me too

Did it last week and nearly failed - 11' 20" and mhr of 157. Now I know I'm a fat biffa but some of you lighter chaps are posting longer times/higher mhr and passing well. Not sure the formula being used is entirely accurate.

I've been there too, better time than a guy 3 years my junior same HR , but I failed and he passed!
Just because I like my pies! I say everyone should weigh the same on the start line.
See how the lanky streaks fair carrying a 7st bergen on their back! ha ha.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Go onto the defence intranet and click on the search plus sign (full search).
Next page type in rockport walk spreadsheet. Then choose only excel files as results and search.

Hey presto, it should be the top entry.

N

NotAnIDOYet

I've been there too, better time than a guy 3 years my junior same HR , but I failed and he passed!
Just because I like my pies! I say everyone should weigh the same on the start line.
See how the lanky streaks fair carrying a 7st bergen on their back! ha ha.

Now there is a option! Try doing it in my time when you weigh what I weigh!

However, having pulled the ejection handle I think that will be my last time ever.