• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Real Cutbacks haven't started.....yet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-cash-squeeze/

A few weeks back I was told of a team working at Air, feverishly trying to screw each and everyone of us financially. It was more than just a hint that LSA was looking at being chopped, by perhaps as much as 50%, though I find it a bit too far fetched. It is rumoured that the army have kicked back on that one, as has the navy, which is really struggling to crew ships and boats.

It is coming folks, apparently it's eye watering stuff......but the only snippet I got was the LSA; what else is fair game before we hit terminal velocity in what seems a favourable jobs market? Qtrs going up another £100 a month?

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Cuts to LOA, Accom charges for both SLA and MQs to rise to comparable civvies rental rates, Maybe those in SLA to start pay towards utilities on top of what they pay for the room, watch all of those little benefits disappear.

How about (and being a bit radical here) removal of free prescriptions from the Med Centre and you have to pay the going NHS rate?

Last edited:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Cuts to LOA, Accom charges for both SLA and MQs to rise to comparable civvies rental rates, Maybe those in SLA to start pay towards utilities on top of what they pay for the room, watch all of those little benefits disappear.

How about (and being a bit radical here) removal of free prescriptions from the Med Centre and you have to pay the going NHS rate?

That would balance RAF jock land paying extra tax. As their prescription would be free.

That would balance RAF jock land paying extra tax. As their prescription would be free.

I have herad that Wg Cdr and above don't pay utility bills, as they are effectively 'permanently on call/duty'. I doubt it's true, but an HR wallah here could open that one out. I personally can't see it holding any ground when thrown out to the press under FOI.

There's a few quid saved. LOA in the States could save quite a few £M and might stop the same people extending tour after tour.

i was against it per se, but the X factor isn't exactly earns by several thousand personnel now. If the cuts HAVE to come, those who are not fulfilling that side of military life should expect a hit.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Are they still paying thousands for boarding school allowance - the biggest slice of the allowances pot by a country mile?

If so, with NEM around the corner, there's no need to fund your kid at a £20,000 per year high school/6th form for 7 years when you can have less than half of that towards buying a house in an area and sending your kid to the local state school.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

In an ideal world, yes, but do you think the local GPs would sign OOA prep forms without charging £25+ a time?

Mutty,

it it will get dirty, by their own admission. Some will lose, some will lose more. LOA in western countries is easily the best option; it takes 1 year to recoup all the costs and then the next few years are plus £1000 in the states in profit ( no idea about Cyprus). I know a few RAF that do the rounds between US bases and have done so fo at least 10 years. Avoiding the LSA trap they make hay whilst the sun shines, avoiding OOAs.
There is ZERO standardisation in Manning, it's all mates rates.
So,to the real problem..... reduce LOA, boarding school allowance, and freebies for the hierarchy?
Also, stop the PS spine for aircrew that won't fly but are medically fit to do so. A tour of 18-24 months on the ground then fly them.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Typical behaviour here, everyone looking at what others can lose and bemoaning what they think is important.

If you're not happy then do something about it, leave and get the benefits you think you deserve elsewhere, just remember the grass is never greener on the other side.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

In my career I've heard the ' leave if you don't like it' mentality twice. Both times it has come from an out of touch VSO, and disappointingly the second time was less than 2 years ago, saying to give it a few years and then join the Reserves.

T have no idea what is coming, but I feel the 'leave if you don't like it mentality' will leave us with the dross and those with drive will be into their next careers, watching the reducing deployable pool self implode.

Now is not the time to stand with your arms crossed moaning, that is for sure!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
In an ideal world, yes, but do you think the local GPs would sign OOA prep forms without charging £25+ a time?
Yep they'll charge at least this, probably more to do the assessment first, if was done it'd probably be out sourced on contract to ATOS or similar.

However, how much does it cost to keep a primary health service going, when it's not exactly a conflict zone need, a couple of hundred pounds per assessment would be a lot less than the cost of the current provision.

Comes down to priorities at the end of the day, a lot of the nice to haves get harder to justify when there are needs not being met, if you spread your funds to thinly then holes and gaps will appear, you're better off fully funding one area than underfunding several.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
In my career I've heard the ' leave if you don't like it' mentality twice. Both times it has come from an out of touch VSO, and disappointingly the second time was less than 2 years ago, saying to give it a few years and then join the Reserves.

T have no idea what is coming, but I feel the 'leave if you don't like it mentality' will leave us with the dross and those with drive will be into their next careers, watching the reducing deployable pool self implode.

Now is not the time to stand with your arms crossed moaning, that is for sure!

Can be a bit insensitive when people deliver the message in this way, however, you'd have to be a little naive to the ways of the world if you don't think this how the real world works.

We recently went through a change process that had quite an impact on employees, the business looked at the impact and mitigated the financial impacts, where reasonable, when we launched it the management and the grumpy predicted disaster, mass resignations etc etc. In the end only 5 out of 3000 left sighting this as the reason for them going, not enough to impact normal churn.

AC with regards dilution of the skill base, there comes a time when you need to look around and decide, are you one of those who you consider to be dross or one of those who will get on in life elsewhere with the right level of reward.

4everAD

Sergeant
Can be a bit insensitive when people deliver the message in this way, however, you'd have to be a little naive to the ways of the world if you don't think this how the real world works.

We recently went through a change process that had quite an impact on employees, the business looked at the impact and mitigated the financial impacts, where reasonable, when we launched it the management and the grumpy predicted disaster, mass resignations etc etc. In the end only 5 out of 3000 left sighting this as the reason for them going, not enough to impact normal churn.

AC with regards dilution of the skill base, there comes a time when you need to look around and decide, are you one of those who you consider to be dross or one of those who will get on in life elsewhere with the right level of reward.

Ref the bold above:

That's the problem with the MOD, they won't care about the impact and certainly won't be reasonable when it comes to compensating individuals. Need I remind everyone about the maximum of 3 months pay for redundancy?

Last edited:
However, how much does it cost to keep a primary health service going, when it's not exactly a conflict zone need, a couple of hundred pounds per assessment would be a lot less than the cost of the current provision.

What would we do with all the medcen staff (ask the way up to the RAF Drs), during "peace" time?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Civilianise or make them all reservists...
Agree with Fomz for once, out side of the Hospital environment medical clinical and support staff will not be doing the tasks that reflect operational need, so either post them there or disestablish them.

As the force evolves over time a lot of the cling on trades, my own previous one included, should be looking at reservist as their primary provision with a smaller cohort of permanent staff doing the roles that are needed in support of ops and available for rapid deployment or regular detachment.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
You could say that about every branch and trade. The bottom line is "if you are not directly supporting ops (ie Front Line Deployable Sqn), then your role could be filled by someone who costs less to employ with less pension contribution

Does the 2nd line bay need to be filled with regulars?
Do training establishments need regulars, or will FTRS/civvies do?
Same for QCIT?
Do the messes need to be staffed by stewards, or could they employ waiters on £7.50 per hour zero hour contracts? In fact, do we actually need messes any more?
PSF can be staffed by civvies/FTRS - the JPAC is, and despite prophesies of a plague of locusts in 2006, the world has kept turning. My current employer uses a Shared Services Centre for its HR, and guess what - stuff gets sorted. In fact, do we need PSFs, or could we move to a "regional hub" (This was mooted in 2012 and was one of my numerous reasons for walking away)