• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The party's nearly over...

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Despite all the cynicism (realism), the games have turned out to be a real triumph (unless an Al Qaeda bomb ruins the party). Well done Team GB and let's hope that the investment in facilities will continue to provide a springboard for continuing success.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I was a cynic... I changed at the opening ceremony.

Thanks to all the people who have made it possible, the volunteers, the military personell jiffed at the last minute to help and to those people working away in the shadows to make sure there were no security threats.

G

gemarriott

I have to say it has certainly lifted morale among the couch potatoes of the country. I got bored after about a week though.

I'll be glad when the para-olympics are done and dusted and we can all get back to being grumpy

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Yes indeed, ot on my Olympic time. The extra travel cost a bomb though! No complaints, I volunteered.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'll join the line labelled 'humble pie' in this case...

I have some appreciation of how hard it is to even organise the simplest of events so something on this scale, even when you divide the event into 'sports' then into 'days' then 'AM/PM', 'heat' and so on, it's still fraught with things that can go wrong and to do it and make it fun for all whilst looking professional is raising the bar even further...

So well done to all involved and well done to the public who made it to events, even those that don't normally feature on the normal British sporting menu, to cheer people from all countries and abilities...That hopefully has translated on TV favourably around the world...

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Just thought I'd mention this....

I intentionally started a seperate thread to TBs one to try and keep reflection on the games as a legacy and also from the perspective of non-serving goat members apart from the more serious thread about the troops role where only the serving members can really comment on how the games were for them.

But ultimately its all part of the same big picture I suppose.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Last edited:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
The party may well be nearly over.....
...but that's one gig I'd have loved to have been at.

I've never been more proud to be British.

Last edited:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Did you put those additional 40+ hours in for free, or was there some form of financial/other recompense for you?

Post #27

All the shifts in the park were at overtime rate.

It's very much "after the lord mayors show" here at the moment. Very strange.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I heard third hand yesterday that the sound in the stadium [for the athletes and crowd in general] was p1ss poor...so much so that a number of athletes sodded off early.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's like a Management Speak version of a Rap Battle. I can't wait 'til we get to the bit where you start on each other's mothers.

Nobody wants to be the speed bump on the road to success.