• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Longest Drive

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OK troops, after just enduring another 'Drive of Death' from the deepest south to the highest north taking many hours and covering 600+ miles after a full days work, probably way out of driving hours. Lets hear your best stories of driving on the red eye limit!! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
On my holidays last year I drove from Pepingnan to Calis, in one stint. 45 minutes on the hovercat, then from Dover to Swansea. The only time we stopped was for food, and petrol. I may have exceeded my driving hours somewhat.

M

mumof4

Lincoln to swindon to Newcastle.Stopped for a total of 30 mins for an appointment and fuel.Did about 800 odd miles that day.
Started at 6am in the morn and finished 8pm in the eve.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Lincoln to swindon to Newcastle.Stopped for a total of 30 mins for an appointment and fuel.Did about 800 odd miles that day.
Started at 6am in the morn and finished 8pm in the eve.

With your navigation skills I am amazed you didn't end up in Dover..... or did you leave that bit out ? :pDT_Xtremez_31: :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Bruggen............

Bruggen............

Not long before Bruggen closed Mrs J decided we needed to do a rapid return to the UK to sort a few things out and make sure our 2 singly boys where looking after the house. I was working all day Friday then hitting the road late Friday night to get a 1am Eurotunnel crossing. So full 10 hours at work - home for a SSS and something to eat. 2100 dog to neighbours for weekend.

Out of the gate foot down, navigate all the way to Dunkirk (203 miles to be precise) when Mrs J says "have you seen my passport" - Yes says I its in the glovebox where it always is .................. WHY?

Oh its just that I keep thinking its in the draw in the bedside table ................. WHY?

'Cos that Fat Bird in the Building Society wanted to see it when I drew some cash out....................

2 hours of stoney silence later I'm making a cup of tea back in the Quarter while SWMBO was upstairs getting her passport.

2 hours later after a 135 mph round trip I nearly run down a dozen Illegals outside San Gat Calias

and at 0730 in the morning (or thereabouts - it was a beautiful morning too) after being awake about 26 hours and a journey of 846 miles - I'd got my feet up in the garden with a cup of tea when her ladyship says "That actually wasn't too bad really ..............." I'm just to explode when she adds "that grass needs cutting"

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Drove from APC in Belize to Merrida in Mexico for a BigMac in 92, does that count?

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Not long before Bruggen closed Mrs J decided we needed to do a rapid return to the UK to sort a few things out and make sure our 2 singly boys where looking after the house. I was working all day Friday then hitting the road late Friday night to get a 1am Eurotunnel crossing. So full 10 hours at work - home for a SSS and something to eat. 2100 dog to neighbours for weekend.

Out of the gate foot down, navigate all the way to Dunkirk (203 miles to be precise) when Mrs J says "have you seen my passport" - Yes says I its in the glovebox where it always is .................. WHY?

Oh its just that I keep thinking its in the draw in the bedside table ................. WHY?

'Cos that Fat Bird in the Building Society wanted to see it when I drew some cash out....................

2 hours of stoney silence later I'm making a cup of tea back in the Quarter while SWMBO was upstairs getting her passport.

2 hours later after a 135 mph round trip I nearly run down a dozen Illegals outside San Gat Calias

and at 0730 in the morning (or thereabouts - it was a beautiful morning too) after being awake about 26 hours and a journey of 846 miles - I'd got my feet up in the garden with a cup of tea when her ladyship says "That actually wasn't too bad really ..............." I'm just to explode when she adds "that grass needs cutting"

Is she still alive dude ? I'd have slain mrs brat on the fcuking spot ! :pDT_Xtremez_17:
I can't compete here, I have never driven more than 500 miles non stop. I fall asleep after 200 anyway :pDT_Xtremez_35: :pDT_Xtremez_06:

freudian slip

Corporal
Brize Norton to Khandahar. In a Jaguar- what isnt mentioned is that the car was in the back of a c17. I was knackered when i got to the other end. Leather seats reclined all the way, couldn't get the radio to work though.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Downtown Montreal, through Toronto and onto Niagara Falls in 1 day. Took 2 hours to get through the Toronto rush hour.

In total that was abot 10 hours at a steady 100kph (except the stop start of Toronto). Mrs BEngO and I shared the drive but as we were both still suffering the combined effects of jet-lag and a 28 delay on our flight out to Canada, it was quite the red-eye run. Thank fcuk for the Tim Hortons at every rest stop!

Hertz had upgraded our booking to 5.0l V8 2006 Ford Explorer with full leather, 8 disc CD, dual climate, sunroof etc. Driver's seat was like a big leather armchair (not ideal for keepin you awake!).

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
A Long Drive

A Long Drive

Bruggen to Merton, bewteen Monaco and Italy in one day, 13th May 1988 to see Senna's last retirement in the Monaco GP.

3 Drivers and a new Ford Serria Saphire 2 Litre.

13 1/2 hours............................... Down Germany to Strasboug, across to Lyon and down the centre of France to Marsellie and across to Monaco......

911 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Put two tents up at the end!!!

T

Tigger

Similar to you Bengo, except I drove across NY State to get to Niagra.
The depressing thing was at one point it was a straight road as far as you could see in the mirror and out front.

N

NotAnIDOYet

Oman, Saif Sareea, Salalah Port to Sha'afa in a 110 Land Rover, sans air con, with only the worst SEngO in the world for company and bottled water that could have made tea.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
February 1999, Train from Elgin to Crawley (10 hours), then on my bike I set of that afternoon back up to Lossie with my portable telly on the back.
14 Hours later, rocked up after getting lost twice and having to stop f@ck knows how many times to chip the ice from my visor, jacket, hands etc.
It was sh1t.

N

Noodle

My other half once did, Northolt to Lyneham to Northolt, went to work, then Northolt to York, York to Newcastle, Newcastle to West Cumbria.

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
Oman, Saif Sareea, Salalah Port to Sha'afa in a 110 Land Rover, sans air con, with only the worst SEngO in the world for company and bottled water that could have made tea.

Also, Saif Sareea. Salalah to Seeb in convoy at a nice steady 40mph if you were lucky.(1000km)
Stayed at the lovely camp South, for a spot of food poisoning, and stopped off at the Convoy Support Camp!!!....Bah, 'support' my AArrse. Got told we couldn't use their solar showers, water, their shop and told to find any available pits in any available tent???******

...but all that was a doddle compared to Ex Rhino Replen '97. Stafford to Laarbruch, again at about 40mph, but setting off at 2am, stopped at Colchester for a 'sleep' break for 2hrs on a concrete floor, then on again till arrival. Missed about a dozen head ons by the pax screaming to 'wake up'. Masterful planning by the OIC there.
Great days though.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

D

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Regularly used to do a night shift at Bruggen (17f Sqn and 31 Sqn) followed by a 'leisurley' drive back to Lancashire via Calais - about 500 miles :pDT_Xtremez_21:

T

Tigger

Also, Saif Sareea. Salalah to Seeb in convoy at a nice steady 40mph if you were lucky.(1000km)

I did Sha'afa to Muscat for R&R (attached to the pioneer corps for 2 months aaaarrrggghhh !) with that funny jingly noise going the whole time on our minibus, summat to do with the speed limit !

Drives

Drives

Three Bum nummers come to mind:

Fairbanks - Mackinlay national park - 160 miles of unpaved road - alaska highway - Fairbanks. Recomended time (by the Fairbanks Tourist Office) 2 - 3 days. Actual time 10.5 hours

Second was Vegas - Grand canyon and back in a day. Not overly long and far but hot dull straight roads and some one navigating that couldnt find their way out of a shower without a map, gps, guide dog and someone shouting at them

Halton - Milan overnighting at Ramstein in a combination of howling gales, hoofing down with rain and a worse navigator in the lead vehicle than above, followed a week later by the return journy via Rheindahlen. No diplo clearance or carnets through Switzerland.That one took about a week for the feeling to return to the southern regions.::p:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A mate of mine drove from Kinloss to south Wales with his wife and child, told her he was just popping out for some cigs and drove all the way back and left her there. :pDT_Xtremez_30: