• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Big Apple

jack brew

Sergeant
Who's been to New York City?

I bet it's mega, been looking at taking the Mrs. Is it easy to get to Niagara Falls from NYC?

Realist78

Master of my destiny
We did NYC as part of our 25th Anniversary trip, we ended the trip in Niagara Falls which was about a 1 hr flight IIRC from the big apple. Niagara was just a tick in the box, 2-3 days and you've seen it all IMO. NYC was brilliant, will go again. Food and drink not as pricey as you think, accommodation is fairly big bucks but worth the visit.

rigpig

SAC
been a couple of times, love it!!!

theres loads of tips in books and stuff my top three are:

1. buy a 7 day Metro card (even if your only there for 3-4 days) its a cheap way of using the Subway and busses will save you money. these are from the machines in the subway.

2. forces discounts rock! most atractions and shops will do some sort of millitary discount!!

3. when you have to go back to the air port go to any posh hotel and see if there are any streched limos empty you can ask the doorman if he can sort you out with one for the ride back to the airport, we did it for $20 more than a standard taxi fare!!!

hope you have agood time!!!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I will second the metrocard comment above. Really does save money and time.

Places to go:

9/11 Museum
Madame Tussauds
Go to Times Sq and queue for discount show tickets.
Go to top of Empire State Building.
Macy's
Liberty and Ellis Island

It was a fab week and we still didnt fit it all in.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I third the metrocard, we used the subway all the time. I also second the limo. When we went a couple of years ago there was a set fare in the taxi from JFK to Manhatten of $45 but going back the doorman organised a limo for about $60

Yes, see if you can get tickets to a Broadway Show, we went to Lion King. I thought it was going to be rubbish but it was fantastic.

We did all the usual, Statue of Liberty, Times Sq, Macy's, Central Park etc. Museum of Natural History is good. We also got tickets for an ice hockey game in Madison Sq Garden.

I enjoyed the open top bus tours. You can get a 24 hour ticket, hop on/hop off. The guides were really good giving loads of info about the city and some guides were well funny.

Try blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Brooklyn Diner is good for that (there are a couple in Manhatten).

We also went to Niagara falls but went from Toronto rather than NY so can't give info about getting there. Niagara Falls town on the Canadian side is a bit like Blackpool but the falls themselves are awesome.

New York is tremendous. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As well as...try:

MOMA in the city

Take the "A" train to 125th, walk about and eat/drink in Harlem (stay at the west end of 125th - the latino end is madness). The round Manhattan tourist bus takes you there as well, but they get well abused!

Take the A train anyway - the subway is air-conned and in Summer it is the dogs!

Tha bloody carrier on the Hudson - never actually made it but it look interesting.

The heli ride about the city form the heli-port on the west side (walking distance from 5th Ave). Did it in 2000 for $80 bucks, but there was a little more real estate to see then.

Get monged on Bleacher St in the ex-pats holy ground.

Do the same in the village.

Dont forget Long Isalnd and the seaside!

Travel: You can get the LIRR (via Penn station) or the subway all the way to Jamaica, then the air train to the terminal of choice BTW if you want a reliable and cheap option. I think the Subway takes a little over the hour.

Otherwise, getting in from Newark is just as easy on the coach.

I took the Boss for her birthday last year, stayed at the Grand Hyatt next door to Grand Central Station. The cafe right outsid GCS called Pershing Square did the best breakfast ever. Not the cheapest but it kept you fuelled untill tea time. The Intrepid Museum on the Hudson is ace and free with your ID card!! Want to go back again, I have developed a slightly unhealthy fascination with the Chrysler Building though, I think I am a bit gay for it. Enjoy!!

G

gemarriott

Top of the Rock (|Rockafellow Centre) is better value with smaller queues than the Empire State building.

Don't forget to have a hot dog from the street vendors with plenty of mustard and pickle.

I agree on the flat iron, strange building one of the first skyscrapers.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Top of the rock also offers the best forces discount. I got discounts on everything we did, including free tickets up lady liberty. Every food establishment also obliged as did broadway. Took my lass to see west side story on valentines day with massive discount. Great place enjoy.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Forgot to mention. Big tip: go to the theatre for your tickets not the booths under the steps. Trust me my mate lives there and told me to do it and I think that's how I got such a big discount.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just a word in favour of the hotel "Aloft Harlem" on Frederick Douglass and 122nd St in Harlem, where I was lucky enough to spend last weekend wiv er indoors.

Only 2 years old, it has a real chic feel and ambience, which in no small part seems to be related to the overwhelming patronage of the local Harlem gay community - the martini's at the in house "WXY&Z" cocktail bar are to die for.

It'll do you $220-240 a night which by NYC standards is a steal - and it's worth every penny.
http://www.aloftharlem.com/