• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Poms v Convicts in the ashes the biggest clash in cricket. Who wins the series. Mystic TB says 2-1 England with one, last pair of batters surrounded by fielders, draw and one rain affected draw. Jimmy Anderson is quiet at Edgbaston but shines at Lords and is on the honours board again. Mo goes mad in one test and smashes the ball to all parts, with a game changing mercurial 53. David Warner LBW Broad becomes, once again, a thing. Less likely Steve Smith doesn't get caught cheating and the Aussies play hard and fair with some decent yet polite sledging.

Who's your money on??

Last edited:

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I thought it was a decent day's cricket from England apart from a couple of stupid charges down the wicket which didn't end well for the batsmen concerned and Harry Brook's dismissal was a bit of a freak.

The Aussies missed out on taking a couple of wickets earlier in the day with dropped catches and a missed appeal. That cheating git* Smith still thinks he's the Captain.

* Mrs 4ma's opinion.

edited. got the player wrong - mea culpa

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nice to see Root find his touch in the first game.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hope I'm wrong but I can see Australia piling on 500+ over the next couple of days..
I think the declaration is forecast driven…sketchy weather fir rest of game.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That cheating git* Smith still thinks he's the Captain.
After the yellow sand paper affair I wouldn't have let him back on a cricket field ever!! Cheating git and his two hench men should have been banned for life.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Australia only need to draw the series to retain the ashes. As much as the England approach is refreshing and exciting to watch, it only needs one bad batting session to lose the game and once Australia sieze the initiative, they won't let it slip. Series to be 2-2 if the weather holds.

AirForce

LAC
I know very little about the game of cricket but do agree with the previous comments, "Poms v Convicts in the ashes the biggest clash in cricket."

I hope this thread continues just so as I can enjoy the reaction of you Poms.:)

kawoloki

Sergeant
Inclusion of Wood has certainly given England a different dimension to their bowling...

The batsmen need to do their job and knock off these runs today. The longer the series goes on as a live contest the better...

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I think the games have been pretty close in terms of play so far, I know we’re two down but I don't think its a disaster

kawoloki

Sergeant
Game on...

I don't think the selectors will replace Bairstow with Foukes but it is possibly the one change I would make. The dropped catches / missed stumpings are taking their toll..

Saying that, Foulkes could have a stinker and we then don't have a potential matchwinner with the bat available..

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Jimmy, on his home ground, in for Ollie Robinson (bad back) is perhaps the only change I would make. But yes I agree the Johnny "gloves of stone" Bairstow situation is a concern. The Aussies also have issues does David Warner play again just to boost Broads averages? Who out of Cam Green or Mitch Marsh gets in as the all rounder I don't think they can play both.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Poms v Convicts in the ashes the biggest clash in cricket. Who wins the series. Mystic TB says 2-1 England with one, last pair of batters surrounded by fielders, draw and one rain affected draw.
Not 2-1 I was close but still no cigar. So it ends 2-2 with a rain affected draw in Manchester. Fantastic cricket, in spells, from both sides. Dodgy Bairstow "stumping" to debate all through the winter. Fairy tale finish for Broad, also the last test for Mo Ali. No Aussie ashes series win in England since 2001, I'll take that. Throughly enjoyed the games and the tempo of the batting in matches. Biggest gripe slow over rates. Big changes afoot for England soon, what now for Jimmy and the rest of the over 30's Stokes, Root, Bairstow, Wood , Woakes. 2025 is the next away series down under and 2027 is the next ashes in England. This winter we are away in India for 5 tests from January.

kawoloki

Sergeant
Not 2-1 I was close but still no cigar. So it ends 2-2 with a rain affected draw in Manchester. Fantastic cricket, in spells, from both sides. Dodgy Bairstow "stumping" to debate all through the winter. Fairy tale finish for Broad, also the last test for Mo Ali. No Aussie ashes series win in England since 2001, I'll take that. Throughly enjoyed the games and the tempo of the batting in matches. Biggest gripe slow over rates. Big changes afoot for England soon, what now for Jimmy and the rest of the over 30's Stokes, Root, Bairstow, Wood , Woakes. 2025 is the next away series down under and 2027 is the next ashes in England. This winter we are away in India for 5 tests from January.

Fully agree, very enjoyable series..

Next ashes could see complete change in Aussie batting and England bowling units..