• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tech Support

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is my dementia getting the worse of me? I may or may not remember a forum for tech support for computer issues lol. TW, I need a hand mate! :)

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
IT Tech support try these. The last one works best.

Swear at the offending piece of IT loudly and long.
Smack the top of the biggest box with IT type bits inside at least twice
Turn it off and back on again a few times in the hope that maybe something different happens and it mystically fixes itself.
Whilst swearing blame Microsoft or Apple or your service provider.
Unplug it, go the pub, turn it on in the morning and see if the overnight fixing pixies have sorted it.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You mean this forum I've moved your post to mate?

Aye :pDT_Xtremez_14:. TB I have trashed the laptop with twigs and everything, it's deed. Would like to salvage my files though as I cannot make it boot to Windows either normally or safe.

Last edited:

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Aye :pDT_Xtremez_14:. TB I have trashed the laptop with twigs and everything, it's deed. Would like to salvage my files though as I cannot make it boot to Windows either normally or safe.

Does the BIOS see the drive.

A quick thing to try below without spending any money.

Have a usb Hard drive ready, Put the laptop hard drive in a freezer bag with one of those silica gel packets, get rid of all the air, and stick it in the freezer over night. Remove, put it back in the computer, and if it isn't proper ****ed Controller board or dead motor you might get the hard drive back up and running long enough to get the data off.

Obviously then you'll need to purcahse a replacement, If you don't need terabytes of storage SSD's have come down in price recently, and for everyday use anything from a reputable manufacturer will be streets ahead faster than a mechanical disk.

Last edited:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Scoob, are you for real?? And NABF, erm no.. I have a kit where I could recover files from HDD's from tower PC's when they'd been fckd up with viruses etc. Are laptop HDD's of a similar IDE? connection?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Scoob, are you for real?? And NABF, erm no.. I have a kit where I could recover files from HDD's from tower PC's when they'd been fckd up with viruses etc. Are laptop HDD's of a similar IDE? connection?

The HDD will be either IDE or SATA connected.

Take the HDD out of the laptop and slave it into another PC or purchase a caddy and connect by USB.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The HDD will be either IDE or SATA connected.

Take the HDD out of the laptop and slave it into another PC or purchase a caddy and connect by USB.

Hoping for that. Didn't want to dismantle it prior. Cheers Dude :pDT_Xtremez_27:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
2nd question. Bought a new laptop, well Ideapad, without noticing it has no DVD drive. I have an external USB DVD drive but it doesn't show up in My PC when I plug it in. Only need it to reload printer drivers and MS Office. Any suggestions?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
2nd question. Bought a new laptop, well Ideapad, without noticing it has no DVD drive. I have an external USB DVD drive but it doesn't show up in My PC when I plug it in. Only need it to reload printer drivers and MS Office. Any suggestions?

Every possibility that the USB port isn't supplying enough power to the DVD drive.

If you have a USB 3 port try that, they have a higher voltage than earlier ports.

If not look at getting a DVD drive with its own power.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Pulling off the old crap from the C drive as we speak. Unfortunately, most of the important folders were saved to the desktop. They'll be gone. Save folders to the C drive and make shortcuts to the desktop kids..... ::/:. What a tube.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Pulling off the old crap from the C drive as we speak. Unfortunately, most of the important folders were saved to the desktop. They'll be gone. Save folders to the C drive and make shortcuts to the desktop kids..... ::/:. What a tube.

If you can access the HDD the files on the desktop will still be retrievable.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Every possibility that the USB port isn't supplying enough power to the DVD drive.

If you have a USB 3 port try that, they have a higher voltage than earlier ports.

If not look at getting a DVD drive with its own power.
Did the usb DVD drive come with software disk as the driver would need updating. New laptops might not recognise various DVD drive being older models . Try Troubleshoot with the DVD plug in. As for the HDD most lost of C Drive can be down to Boot Up not seen. This is a small hidden file sequence that trigger by the BIOS search for DVD USB HDD FDD think of Key and Lock all OS systems use it Linux Windows Macs UNIX.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you can access the HDD the files on the desktop will still be retrievable.

Hmm, I've pulled all the files off the HDD but can't see any of my desktop files. Mind, I did have to remove the HDD from the laptop to do this.

Last edited:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Did the usb DVD drive come with software disk as the driver would need updating. New laptops might not recognise various DVD drive being older models . Try Troubleshoot with the DVD plug in. As for the HDD most lost of C Drive can be down to Boot Up not seen. This is a small hidden file sequence that trigger by the BIOS search for DVD USB HDD FDD think of Key and Lock all OS systems use it Linux Windows Macs UNIX.

The drive did come with a software disk but I bought in 2010. When plugged in, the drive light flashes for about 5 seconds but Windows 10 doesn't see it in My PC.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Hmm, I've pulled all the files off the HDD but can't see any of my desktop files. Mind, I did have to remove the HDD from the laptop to do this.

The location of the HDD will not effect the retrieval of files.

How are you viewing the contents of the HDD, Command Line or Window (GUI)?

With a GUI once you can see the root files on the HDD drill down something like this ...

Drive Letter:\Users\Your Logon Name\Desktop

If I slaved my laptop HDD into my desktop this would be ...

J:\Users\Mike\Desktop

And you should be able to see the files and folders on the desktop.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The location of the HDD will not effect the retrieval of files.

How are you viewing the contents of the HDD, Command Line or Window (GUI)?

With a GUI once you can see the root files on the HDD drill down something like this ...

Drive Letter:\Users\Your Logon Name\Desktop

If I slaved my laptop HDD into my desktop this would be ...

J:\Users\Mike\Desktop

And you should be able to see the files and folders on the desktop.

I'm viewing the contents on my new lappy. I have a basic SATA/IDE to USB kit that drags off files direct from the back connections of a HDD. There is no command prompt or any way to interrogate the HDD that I saw.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
I'm viewing the contents on my new lappy. I have a basic SATA/IDE to USB kit that drags off files direct from the back connections of a HDD. There is no command prompt or any way to interrogate the HDD that I saw.
Desktop file create a copy link to a desktop folder on the explorer. the command prompt can be accessed via right clicking the start at the bottom unless you display showing tablet form place mouse over left side to change display format. on the right bottom click open and unclick tablet to return to original windows display.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

Does the new laptop recognise the old HDD?