• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tech-Chrarges?

sumps

Sergeant
Is it still possible to get ”Tech Charged” in this day and age or has that system of discipline gone out of the window?

If it is not used what is the current method of correcting maintenance discipline in the technical work place?

S

Mightierthan

Corporal
There are still 2 charges that could cover this: Negligently performing a duty and (the wording may be wrong) failing to perform a duty.

However, for both to stick, there must be up to date TORs and/or work instructions that the individual has signed as having read and understood.

There is also minor admin action which can comprise a minor punishment (extra section duties for example) and/or a form of counselling

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
I would find it hard for anyone to Tech charge anybody in the RAF now , even find them guilty of negligence without a really good case. Lack of supervision, manpower and basic things to do the job you could wangle your way out of it through a court martial easy.

Its not the best thing and people work there best as always to do the job 100% , the days hopefully of blame culture are over so tech charges need not apply hence thats why Techies dont get extra pay to cover risk anymore.

From pushing a pen , making a pan of soup or replacing a hydraulic actuator on a multi jet aircraft we all have the same risk and resposability to ensure the job is done correct.

The MOD has made it that way unfortunate but that is there choice.

Last edited:

Sergeant
I would find it hard for anyone to Tech charge anybody in the RAF now , even find them guilty of negligence without a really good case. Lack of supervision, manpower and basic things to do the job you could wangle your way out of it through a court martial easy.

Its not the best thing and people work there best as always to do the job 100% , the days hopefully of blame culture are over so tech charges need not apply hence thats why Techies dont get extra pay to cover risk anymore.

From pushing a pen , making a pan of soup or replacing a hydraulic actuator on a multi jet aircraft we all have the same risk and resposability to ensure the job is done correct.

The MOD has made it that way unfortunate but that is there choice.
if you push your pen the wrong way is there a possibility of death? if you install your hydraulic actuator the wrong way is there a possibility of death?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Tech charges got binned when Pay 2000 came in.

I think it was pointed out that if everybody in the Air Force had the same responsibility and the same wage, how could a proportion of those be subject to more disciplinary action for failing to carry out a task correctly and some of those could shrug it off and tell you it will be sorted in the next pay run.

(Pay run is an example and not aimed at our Shiny brethren)

I think the change in Courts Martial procedure had something to do with it as well.

docbombhead

Sergeant
Is it still possible to get ”Tech Charged” in this day and age or has that system of discipline gone out of the window?

If it is not used what is the current method of correcting maintenance discipline in the technical work place?

S

Now their on the same pay as techies, most chefs should be getting "done" every shift :0

sumps

Sergeant
There are still 2 charges that could cover this: Negligently performing a duty and (the wording may be wrong) failing to perform a duty.

However, for both to stick, there must be up to date TORs and/or work instructions that the individual has signed as having read and understood.

There is also minor admin action which can comprise a minor punishment (extra section duties for example) and/or a form of counselling

I take it then to keep the peace that the preferred option amongst the management would be to take the counselling route?

I suppose that if some on was to be found to contravene a rule (affecting the integrity of the aircraft) it would call into question the chain of people either side of that person?