• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tax reduction effect on Pension payments

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Announced today that the rate of tax on incomes will be reduced to 19p in the pound.
Given that the Mil Pension is taxed, does this mean that there will be an increase within the Post-tax monthly Pension payments to members?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
From April 2023 you will pay 19% on the part of your pension upon which you are currently paying 20%.
So, there will be a combination of a 1% tax reduction plus the addition of the September inflation rate of around 10%? If so happy days

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
So, there will be a combination of a 1% tax reduction plus the addition of the September inflation rate of around 10%? If so happy days
You read my mind TB!; however, as a naive Yorkshireman I see the Aug CPI rate is reduced slightly as the Govt apply the annual 'every brake possible' operation, to bring the Sept value down, conscious of the knock-on effect of the National costing for September. Alongside this, if the rate hovered at 10%, do you think the Govt would honour this in full, as a one-off, triple lock CPI input for Military Pensions (I do hope the elder Civilians get it). I raised my concern in an earlier forum question, alongside a letter to my MP (Conservative, still awaiting a reply after 3 1/2months)...

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
We will know next month what the CPI increase should be for April 23. I am certainly not going to guess the rate. As for the triple lock , no news is good news. The abandonment of it was supposed to be for last year only.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
a 1% reduction from 20% is actually a 5% cut in your overall tax bill. Add that to the 10% rise, and you have an approx 15% positive swing in your net income.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Your math is slightly off but by this time next month we wil know the September inflation rates, so we should have an idea about next years rises in benefits and charges.

And dont forget the current rises in pensions are baked in for when the working population eventually get to retirement age, so lets try not to bash pensioners (a lot of whom will really benefit from the rise interest rates after years of savings pain).

Would have been nice to see some change to the tax banding, although he did keep the starting point for NI at the new higher level which save quite a few at the bottom end a pretty penny or two.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Your math is slightly off but by this time next month we wil know the September inflation rates, so we should have an idea about next years rises in benefits and charges.

And dont forget the current rises in pensions are baked in for when the working population eventually get to retirement age, so lets try not to bash pensioners (a lot of whom will really benefit from the rise interest rates after years of savings pain).

Would have been nice to see some change to the tax banding, although he did keep the starting point for NI at the new higher level which save quite a few at the bottom end a pretty penny or two.
You an OAP yet? My cousin is earns over 150K a year and is laughing. My brother in law sees the damage being done to pension funds as the clever people see the lie of the cheap throw away. His understanding of economics is a tad better than yours. He has the experience as a senior business banking manager. Not a theory only man.

Captain Kirk

Corporal
You an OAP yet? My cousin is earns over 150K a year and is laughing. My brother in law sees the damage being done to pension funds as the clever people see the lie of the cheap throw away. His understanding of economics is a tad better than yours. He has the experience as a senior business banking manager. Not a theory only man.
Always in the early hours, always gibberish. What is you point, it’s less than obvious?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Always in the early hours, always gibberish. What is you point, it’s less than obvious?
I keep checking Duolingo but they just don’t ever release Cat Techie.

Lots of people on the internet seem to know someone who seems to reinforce their POV, perhaps because they would get called out if they attempted to use their own experience to justify their argument.

These changes aren’t about me, we will all be impacted, I’m a little bit better off, not significantly, less than a good bottle of red wine a month this year. All of us will be impacted differently, what is significant this year is the shift in the starting band for NI, whilst retaining the lower qualifying level, for those at the bottom, again the drop to 19p next year will also majorly benefit the working poor, a penny in the pound will make a big difference to some.

Unlike death and taxes becoming an OAP isn’t certain, however, I’ve got now only got 15 years to go and I hope that the pension is still worth having when I get there, although I expect the Triple Lock to be phased out in this time as any catch up accelerator should be once it’s served it’s purpose.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
That budget is for the top 1% of people. The rest of the give away will amount to nothing with the effects on the economy in other factors. My brother in law is a professional financial advisor licenced to carry out many different functions. He thinks the budget is nuts. It will not produce the growth. Only good thing for myself is that the changes in stamp duty happens just as I am buying a new build. Get some more money to spend on the internals. No mortgage for me so I will see the benefits of interest rate rises. Feel sorry for those about to be hammered.