• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taking Protein.

Liggy

LAC
Currently on TG course and on that new fitness programme with alot of resistance training. PTIs said they don't object to us taking protein but told us to be careful which ones we buy.

Can anybody provide me with a site to see what we're allowed or tell me if we're allowed to take USN?

Sorry for not posting in the medical section, I'm on my phone and can only access the main forum.

Sent from my iPhone5 using my thumb.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Currently on TG course and on that new fitness programme with alot of resistance training. PTIs said they don't object to us taking protein but told us to be careful which ones we buy.

Can anybody provide me with a site to see what we're allowed or tell me if we're allowed to take USN?

Sorry for not posting in the medical section, I'm on my phone and can only access the main forum.

The PTIs should have a list of current restricted products. Failing that, maybe talk to your instructors as pound to a penny, they will be using protein supplements, creatine, etc as part of their PT programme and should be able to recommend a brand.

briggfairy

Sergeant
As long as you stick to whey protein you should be fine and it should help you recover quicker if however you decide to go onto a more complex supplement and especially pre workout stuff you need to get some proper advice from the ptis/rafp/medics

Liggy

LAC
It is whey protein. Didn't wanna risk anything by pre workout supplements and probably wouldn't even get the chance to take it with our schedule. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Is it really neccessary to take a protein supplement? what happened to a balanced diet (ok I appreciate the food standard has dropped in the messes) I would have thought the PTI's would have more sense than to encourage the use of these supplement's.

fishing for a bite

shettie

Flight Sergeant
I can't believe the PTI's would even consider it! What next - steroids with breakfast?? FFS - Chicken, pasta etc. Not sh1te that you have no reall idea whats been ground down and stuffed in a box!

LilStill

Sergeant
I can't believe the PTI's would even consider it! What next - steroids with breakfast?? FFS - Chicken, pasta etc. Not sh1te that you have no reall idea whats been ground down and stuffed in a box!
I think steroids with breakfast is a bit of a rash comparison - seeing as steroids are harmful and whey protein sort of... isn't. You could just as easily argue against drinking Lucozade with your logic, because I've got no sodding idea what's in that!

shettie

Flight Sergeant
I think steroids with breakfast is a bit of a rash comparison - seeing as steroids are harmful and whey protein sort of... isn't. You could just as easily argue against drinking Lucozade with your logic, because I've got no sodding idea what's in that!

and Whey um... isn't:

Whey Protein is called thus as it is obtained from Whey which is the liquid that is left behind after milk is curdled and strained, it is a by-product of the cheese manufacturing process. It is a compound composed of proteins obtained from whey. It is commonly and widely used as a health supplement as it is an excellent source of protein. It has a high nutritional value and there are many benefits of whey protein. However there are considerable side effects as well. It is important to monitor the amount of protein one is consuming through his or her diet. Additional amount of protein in any form, even as whey protein can cause a lot of side effects. One must remember that the daily requirement of protein is one gram per pound of body weight. Anything taken in excess is harmful.
The commonly seen side effects and dangers because of Whey protein are as follows:
Lactose Intolerance is one of the commonest side effects. Whey protein is derived from milk and contains about 5 % to 6 % of lactose. People suffering from lactose intolerance are unable to digest lactose which is sugar of milk. Lactose is present in Whey protein and hence people suffering from intolerance to lactose are unable to handle whey protein as well. They may develop symptoms like abdominal cramps, abdominal bloating, flatulence, nausea and diarrhoea. The symptoms develop 30 minutes to 2 hours after consumption of dairy products or any product containing lactose. For this reason whey protein is available as an isolate and as a concentrate. Those suffering from lactose intolerance are advised whey protein isolate as it contains less amounts of lactose.
Ketosis is another common side effect of Whey Protein. It is a condition in which there are high levels of ketone bodies in the blood. Ketone bodies are produced by the liver by a process called ketogenesis, this condition occurs when ever the glycogen stores in the liver are depleted. This happens when a person is on a low carbohydrate and high protein diet. In the body, normally, carbohydrates are burnt first and used as a source of energy, next fats are burnt and in severe cases when fats and carbohydrates are unavailable, then proteins are used to provide energy to the body. In cases where a person is on a high protein and low carbohydrate diet, the body uses fat as its primary fuel. Liver damage due to ketosis is seen.
Kidney damage is also one of the dangers, and formation of kidney stones is common.
Osteoporosis has been said to be caused as a result of overuse of Whey protein according to some studies. This is still up for debate however because there has been no concrete evidence connecting to two, the studies only suggest.
Cystine is an amino acid which is essential for the production of glutathione. Cystine is present in most whey protein supplements as denatured cystine. Denatured cystine is produced when dairy products are put through various chemical or physical processes. For example when milk is pasteurised cystine is converted into the denatured form which makes it unavailable for usage by the body. So also the processing of whey in order to manufacture whey protein makes the protein denatured and unavailable for use by the body.
Another problem is the presence of artificial sweeteners like aspartame, which is a neuro toxin and dangerous for health.
Whey protein has drug interactions with Levodopa, Quinolones, tetracyclines, Fosomax etc. Use of Whey protein with these drugs is not advised as it interferes with the action of these drugs

LilStill

Sergeant
and Whey um... isn't:Whey Protein is called thus as it is obtained from Whey which is the liquid that is left behind after milk is curdled and strained, it is a by-product of the cheese manufacturing process. It is a compound composed of proteins obtained from whey. It is commonly and widely used as a health supplement as it is an excellent source of protein. It has a high nutritional value and there are many benefits of whey protein. However there are considerable side effects as well. It is important to monitor the amount of protein one is consuming through his or her diet. Additional amount of protein in any form, even as whey protein can cause a lot of side effects. One must remember that the daily requirement of protein is one gram per pound of body weight. Anything taken in excess is harmful.The commonly seen side effects and dangers because of Whey protein are as follows:Lactose Intolerance is one of the commonest side effects. Whey protein is derived from milk and contains about 5 % to 6 % of lactose. People suffering from lactose intolerance are unable to digest lactose which is sugar of milk. Lactose is present in Whey protein and hence people suffering from intolerance to lactose are unable to handle whey protein as well. They may develop symptoms like abdominal cramps, abdominal bloating, flatulence, nausea and diarrhoea. The symptoms develop 30 minutes to 2 hours after consumption of dairy products or any product containing lactose. For this reason whey protein is available as an isolate and as a concentrate. Those suffering from lactose intolerance are advised whey protein isolate as it contains less amounts of lactose.Ketosis is another common side effect of Whey Protein. It is a condition in which there are high levels of ketone bodies in the blood. Ketone bodies are produced by the liver by a process called ketogenesis, this condition occurs when ever the glycogen stores in the liver are depleted. This happens when a person is on a low carbohydrate and high protein diet. In the body, normally, carbohydrates are burnt first and used as a source of energy, next fats are burnt and in severe cases when fats and carbohydrates are unavailable, then proteins are used to provide energy to the body. In cases where a person is on a high protein and low carbohydrate diet, the body uses fat as its primary fuel. Liver damage due to ketosis is seen.Kidney damage is also one of the dangers, and formation of kidney stones is common.Osteoporosis has been said to be caused as a result of overuse of Whey protein according to some studies. This is still up for debate however because there has been no concrete evidence connecting to two, the studies only suggest.Cystine is an amino acid which is essential for the production of glutathione. Cystine is present in most whey protein supplements as denatured cystine. Denatured cystine is produced when dairy products are put through various chemical or physical processes. For example when milk is pasteurised cystine is converted into the denatured form which makes it unavailable for usage by the body. So also the processing of whey in order to manufacture whey protein makes the protein denatured and unavailable for use by the body.Another problem is the presence of artificial sweeteners like aspartame, which is a neuro toxin and dangerous for health.Whey protein has drug interactions with Levodopa, Quinolones, tetracyclines, Fosomax etc. Use of Whey protein with these drugs is not advised as it interferes with the action of these drugs
So roughly as dangerous as everything else you put in your body. Coca-cola has half of those side-effects. Still disagree with your argument. It also says, quite clearly, that whey protein is dangerous and comes with side effects when taken in excess. Again, like pretty much everything else ever. McDonald's, for example, is jolly nice once in a while, until you stuff your face with it every day.

P

pie sandwich

Awhile ago there was a documentary on about energy drinks, they interviewed an Olympic cyclist from the Athens GB squad and he said for years all I have ever had is a good diet and to train with he has only ever had water and a jam sandwich.

If your not going to be competing at Olympic standard then why waste money on it, eat eggs chicken fish etc etc

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Awhile ago there was a documentary on about energy drinks, they interviewed an Olympic cyclist from the Athens GB squad and he said for years all I have ever had is a good diet and to train with he has only ever had water and a jam sandwich. If your not going to be competing at Olympic standard then why waste money on it, eat eggs chicken fish etc etc

Because stupid people want a bigger, faster, more attractive everything, and they are willing to pay out a lot of money to get it. Blame Blair (naturally, I digress here).

I saw that documentary and wrote to Lucozade telling them they were talking **** - gave me a one sentence answer saying they were not. Since nobody cares anyway, let them believe it - snot my carcas they are fattening needlessly.

Obi Wan

Sergeant
I don't actually disagree with the sentiment - just feel you're a bit off telling people it's dangerous.

This "protein drink/powder whatever it is" has no long term medical evidence supporting the side effects..say when you are in your 50's. So if you wish to take this (it is your body after all) go ahead, just think of the long term effects. common sense really. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Liggy

LAC
Personally I'm not taking it for looks.

We're on a new resistance training programme with weights 3/4 times a week on top of swimming circuits and general phys so the main reason I'm taking it is to maximise gains and for recovery. I'm not abusing it or replacing meals for protein, I'm taking one in the morning, one at night and one after a resistance training workout.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I still can't see the point... A couple of mates of mine are booties and they refuse to touch the stuff.. as they want people to know their adonis like swagger is all of thier own doing without the use of suppliments. They eat shed loads of Chicken, fish etc. I'm a bit disgusted the Mirror Techs are even hinting at you taking that stuff...

Off Topic

The only people I've ever seen taking it are those hair gelled gym monkies who love themselves a bit too much... just saying. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Off Topic

P

pie sandwich

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but After seeing THIS on the BBC website I remembered this thread.
In a nutshell, supplements like whey protein are b0llocks drink a pint of milk instead, since it has all the protein carbs etc etc that the body needs.