• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tablet PC advice

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'm off on my merry way to support Ex Red Flag very soon and as I am also Herrick bound later this year, I intend to purchase a Tablet PC thingymagib for OC Domestic OPS whilst I'm away in the USA. This will enable her and my ankle biter to keep in touch with me via Skype for the longer of the two 'tours'.

Anyway, if I was to buy one stateside etc, would it be fully compatible with everything in the UK? Features such as actually getting on the tinterweb, 3G / 4G, wireless etc? I fully appreciate that I'll have to sort out a power adapter for it but what else would I need to consider?

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Don't bother with 4G element as UK is struggling with 3G at the moment. Everything else works and you can put a UK chip in an ipad. 32GB ipad is currently $589 or £371.

Everything compatible bar US kindle fire as it uses different type of cloud. Plugs are all done on USB charger.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Wouldn't recommend a cellular tablet as it means having another sim card and contract also 3G and 4G may work on different frequencies here and there.

If your phone is unlocked you can get a all you can eat T Mobile sim card for about $40s all in for a month that will include 500 -600 internet call minutes to keep in touch, you can then tether what ever tablet you buy and use the all you can eat data whilst you're there for skype and such like (check your phone because my 3G was on a different frequency so I had to put up with 2G)

Back in the UK you can pick up a cheap three data and calls package which can work out a lot cheaper than getting a contract phone even if you buy a latest phone up front.

If you can get hold of one, a Nexus 7 or 10 are pretty much the best tablets around at the moment, if you can put up with no memory card expansion.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Cheers guys. I'm not too fussed on storage capacity as I store stuff I want keeping on my external hard drive. So I'll check out these Nexus thingymabobs. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

D

dozyscopie1

I have an iPad mini and I love it. Just the basic 16gb, wifi only but it does me a treat. Got an external wi-drive that connects using its own wi-fi,gives me an extra 80gb, get an app off iTunes Store that works in conjunction with it.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
My missus recently got herself a Blackberry Playbook (64GB version) - it probably hasn't got the same or as much functionality as an iPad or some of the tablets that the others are talking about but if you're on a tight budget then the price of around about 140 quid might be attractive to you --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=14PV6EYDKQKFEWAFXZ6Y

http://uk.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/overview.html

It certainly does everything that she wants it to do (email, Facebook, basic t'internetting plus a few games) and very nice it is too. She got it to supplement her laptop, basically for the convenience of it's size.