• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Switching to RAF REG?

oneiron

LAC
Hi all - just an enquiry really Ive passed my interview just going through medical stages, how easy and how would I go about changing my intended squadron to RAF Reg? I ve attended the info day for them but decided to go with mover, but Im having second thoughts and considered going to RAF reg instead. Im 49 and fairly fit etc (run marathons etc) and was also wondering if this realistically ould prove too physically demanding for me ? Any thoughts?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hi all - just an enquiry really Ive passed my interview just going through medical stages, how easy and how would I go about changing my intended squadron to RAF Reg? I ve attended the info day for them but decided to go with mover, but Im having second thoughts and considered going to RAF reg instead. Im 49 and fairly fit etc (run marathons etc) and was also wondering if this realistically ould prove too physically demanding for me ? Any thoughts?
OK. One at a time.

1. For the first 3 months or so the training is identical, right up until after you do Halton, but it's best to tell 4624 if you want to do this up front, and they will put you in touch with another Sqn and its better to assimilate there.
2. Marathons are one thing, but you may need a little more strength in depth. That said, I have seen at Halton and latterly people on my Sqn who are Regt and who are around your age - the Regt training is only 2 weeks residential but it is intense so needs thinking about.

Recommendation: Try the Regt Sqn at Brize and speak to them - experience the trainng weekends and the regime and find out from them about Phase 2 training and what it involves. Don't keep it a secret from 4624 - it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Entropy

Sergeant
Once again SN has beaten me to it. Speak to the recruiting guys at 4624 as they have seen this before, a guy on my intake moved to regt after Halton and has had great time (Sqn was a lot nearer so made it easier to maintain training commitments). I think you need to ask yourself what you want, TA (read Regt) based activities or something more trade specific. I believe that Regt sqns will soon require light blue on the RAFFT so make sure that you can achieve the fitness levels.