• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swinderby November 1985 ---- 30 years last week ----OMG

mrsribs

SAC
Not a reunion as such------- unless people want to join me on det?

Joined up on the 19th November 1985------ Cpl Ori Onison as my DI. 30 years just seems to have flown by, FS now but a re muster after 7 years and PVRd twice----------- still serving and actually overseas.

Weird I can remember the train ride to Newark, the clothes I had on and the bag I had packed ( no day sacks back then), however I couldn't recall going to IKEA last week or the Mrs owing me €140 from being there.

I still think I am a 20 year old although the body and mirror says no!!!!!!!!

keep safe all

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I'm coming up for my 26 year anniversary - 05 Dec 1989 was my date of Attestation, next day the train to Newark to join 17 Flt at Swinditz....Like you I can remember that first day like it was yesterday....DI Staff were F/O Copeland, Sgt Kelk and Cpl Wilkinson...I think...

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think I went in Nov 1976

here I am wearing the uniform, sitting at a desk in a sand pit, some 39 years later.

.......who can stop this meteoric rise to glitterdom?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I think I went in Nov 1976

here I am wearing the uniform, sitting at a desk in a sand pit, some 39 years later.

.......who can stop this meteoric rise to glitterdom?

You must be living the dream........:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Frankly, I'm content just with the "living".

With you on that score...I've done my back in this morning.....sure sign that things are in desperate need of am MoT......it'll be Man Nappies and pre-chewed food before too long..

fatal

Corporal
Kryten

i remember you as a new junior robot at brampton 91ish - just drink plenty it worked in those days

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Kryten

i remember you as a new junior robot at brampton 91ish - just drink plenty it worked in those days

You have me at a disadvantage, Sir - did you work in the Dark Place that was at Brampton?

zofo

LAC
Apr 86 Myself, DI's were Sgt Hunter and a Cpl Foster, Like you say I can still remember those 6 weeks all them years ago, but now forget most things after a good nights sleep, was due to leave Apr 16 but just signed on for another 3 years, must be mad but hey ho

jrc376

LAC
April 83 for me Sgt Smith and Cpl Hallett where the DI's I left in 2005 I can still remember the bus journey from the rail station to Swinderby

April 26 1971.... 2 flight but I cannot remember the instructors names. One of my fellow sufferers was 36 having been in the Army for some years (he was on Christmas Island for the 1956 A bomb blast trial) and then a postie in Aberdeen. (He got recognised in the RAF Digby snooker room by one of his clients)..... Bob Essen. Not sure if Bob is still with us but, we followed each other in all postings except 591su - Digby, 9 sigs in Cyprus and then back to Digby.

I loved my days in the RAF and would not hesitate to do it all again given half the chance. Pay was crap back then - my weekly pay was less than £10:00 per week but, 20 No 6 was only 19 pence!!!

Cosford Jan 69

Cosford Jan 69

Left school at 15 and armed with a duffel bag, the pre-runner of a mini day sack, I boarded the train in sunny Wiltshire and headed "up-North" to become an appo at No. 2SofTT Cosford. What an eye opener to life. Wednesday afternoons for sports, Saturday mornings for drill and Sunday's for a Church parade. Sgt Buster Brown and Cpl Derek Herbert (Rock and proud) to beat me into some preordained shape, ready for something....ready for anything! An RAF Education system writings exams I rarely managed to pass first time and a scouser called George Pearson who dragged me through it all. He's still instructing at the West Midlands School of Aeronautical Engineering. All seems like yesterday. That's Alzheimer's for you!!

fatal

Corporal
You have me at a disadvantage, Sir - did you work in the Dark Place that was at Brampton?

Kryten

i used to be one of the barmen in rugby club - lived in beamish block - worked with the ginger haired wraf called garfield

Mustang

Corporal
I attested on 13 Apr 71 and went to Swinderby shortly afterwards, can't remember the exact date. I can remember one of the DIs, Cpl Tab Hunter, who I saw again at RAF Wittering 82 ish.

Mustang. I also attested around the same date (in Reading) and started my Swinderby training on 26th.

Cpl Harris is a possible name for the "good cop" but I cannot remember the nasty buggers name. I remember bed packs going out of windows and lockers being tipped out but, none of us died and a lot of us had a good laugh when thinking back......

i always remember the the running with fake SLRs (old 303s with new grips) and having to put them all on a bunker roof before having to run back up, retrieve your weapon and not wanting to be the last down for fear of more press ups.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Joined at Swinderby in Sept 71. DIs were Cpl Wadsworth a rock and another Cpl ex MT driver whose name I forget .Both good guys, Sgt was Sgt Black, I think ,who was the bad cop!

Lot of drill in itchy hairy blue, dms boots, loads of pt in plimsoles!
Good times generally.