• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swimming

W

watson93

Just wondering if swimming at RTS is pass/fail or is it not a major issue if you aren't a strong swimmer?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I believe they are looking for water confidence rather than olympic standard swimming. I know several people in the RAF who are not the best at staying afloat.

W

watson93

Yeah I guessed they didn't expect everyone to be excellent, but is their a swimming test at RTS that you must pass before moving onto the next stage of training?

Brackens

SAC
The swimming test at Halton isn't pass or fail it simply influences your ability to undertake water based adventure training in the future, its a swim round the pool without touching the sides and then getting out under your own steam, think you have to wear overalls if i remember rightly. don't worry about it there will be loads of weak swimmers on RTS

84scouse

SAC
...having done the royal navy swim test, the best tip on offer from me is: pick out an overall that's slightly too small. Yes you will have the worst weggie ever when you get out of the pool, BUT the sleeves and ankles won't be flapping about over your hands & feet, which would make it more difficult to keep control in the water.

Have fun!! The swim test was the only bit of Raleigh I enjoyed! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

J

jonny_5

Ha! I was a ****e swimmer at Halton (still am!) and I think there were a few total non-swimmers. It's not a required part of the course, it just allows you to do water activities during adventure training, I thought that suited me fine because I hated water but I managed to pass the swim test, next thing I know I was being thrown into a canoe in a Welsh river which was probably the best thing I've done in the RAF so far.