• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Survival Equipment Fitter - Any Info?

henry02

LAC
Hi there, I have seen the above role is open on the RAF website. I am waiting for the AMM role to reopen, however, due to my age, I really need to be going through the application process sooner rather than later.

I have read the job spec etc on the RAF careers website, and it looks rather interesting, and it's in the engineering section, which I am most keen on (dont really want to work in an office).

Apart from that, there's not much information, and wondered if anyone else can help me with further details, for example, is the job actually intersting, and do you get to go out to Afghan as much as the AMM's? I'm guessing the postings around the UK are similar for the AMM's.

All info greatfully received.

squipper

Corporal
I have been a squipper for 30 years and have had agreat time. As a trade we are in the high pay band from Cpl to WO so there is an incentive to get on with earning early promotion. I have travelled all over the world and there are still plenty of opportunities to travel. The trade is very varied but as all jobs they can be a little repetitive. If you are into parachuting there is a great place called PEF at Brize Norton where we do all of the airborne forces parachutes and you travell to the USA a hell of a lot. If you are into survival skills and all of that kind of thing then its St Mawgan in Cornwall for you. Everyone has a different part of the job they like best so I will not cloud your eyes. Its a great job and great fun, as I said, high pay band and plenty of travel too. Do you live near a unit???? If so ask the AFCO if you can go along and have a look at the Survival Equipment Section.

Regards and good luck with your choice

Squipper